It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
I have a question

How many times have you attempted to stop smoking? I stopped for a month in high school. About 24 years ago I stopped for 3 days. 5 years ago I stopped for 6 weeks. Last year I went 4 1/2 months then smoked for 2 months and then stopped again. Now i have been smoke free for 10 1/2 months. I have used the gum, the lozenge, the inhaler, a countdown device, the patch and hypnosis. The patch and hypnosis combined seemed the best for me. I guess it is true. Don't quit quitting. Godbless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: I have a question

This is my third time quitting I know it's my last this time because something about my commitment is different I guess cause I'm not only doing it for myself but my son . Last Tues was a year for me every other time I got cocky at the year anniversary and smoked and went right back to it as if I never quit this time I know better I CAN NEVER EVER SMOKE AGAIN. Third times a charm they say 10.5 monts is fabulous sounds like you're on the same road as me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i have used the gum, patch, losenges, hypnosis and cold turkey. my longest quit was for 4 mos. 2x...first cold turkey, second the patch. i am now trying chantix, started on 6/11, have found it no help to even cut down as of yet.
i am so happy you could do it! any advise at all for me, i would love!
bevann

Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #4
(female)

Evonne667 HB User

This will be my 2nd time. The 1st time I quit for 6 weeks 5 days with the help of the patch. This time around I have quit for 8 weeks 5 days with the help of the patch & gum and I seem to be still going strong. I still get really bad urges especially when I'm really stressed out, but this time around I seem to have a stronger willpower to keep off the cigs.

Good Luck everyone, keep strong and keep posting

Evonne

Old 06-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Honestly, too many times to count. Every New Year's for the last 20 years? Every nasty cold in the last 20 years? A couple of vacations, thinking it would be a good time while my surroundings were different and it would be difficult to smoke?

The most I'd ever made it was about three weeks. I'd used the patch and a behavior modification program. What lured me back to smoking was depression. I'd just felt like I'd lost my identify and my best friend when I quit -- and it took a few weeks for this to settle in.

Since that was my most successful attempt, I'd prepared for that depression before this quit. Every day, I do something new, something a bit different than I did as a smoker. I need to replace those feelings of my "old identity" with something new. Examples are things I hated doing as a smoker, i.e., going to the movies, going on walks, enjoying "indoor" things knowing I won't be looking for an opportunity to go outside for a smoke (FL doesn't allow smoking indoors anymore -- except for alcohol-only bars).

Also, I can still only deal with it by taking it one day at a time. I just have to get through today.

Seems to be working so far!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
(female)

jeanusa HB User

Hi all, This is my first attempt and it does seem to be working for me. Today is 50 days for me. Stress seems like a big reason that people relapse but for me it seems to have the opposite affect. Yesterday I had a real stressful day and a cigarette was the last thing I was thinking about. One thing I keep telling myself is if I get the urge, do I want to repeat the first week again. I can't think of anything worse than that, it keeps me focused.

Thanks for listening

Jean:

Old 06-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

It does seem that you have to get yourself in the right frame of mind to stop smoking. It is not enough to hate it or want to stop. You have to believe you can. And you can! Godbless

Closed Thread