It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

MA2AZ HB User
Freedom

Hello everyone;
I want to thank you all for being there for me, no matter what time it may be or how I look - we are here for each other.
I have been smoking for 30 years and consider myself a real pro at it (believe me its nothing to brag about)! The truth hurts and so do my lungs...

Yesterday I had about 1 month without a cig, for me not counting every day is much better, silly huh? But I guess the thing I really want anyone who will listen to know, is this one word - FREEDOM - I may want a cig sometime during the day but that word keeps coming to mind and for today I have my little peace of freedom - be proud of yours... you deserve it.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
Re: Freedom

hi to you!
my quit date is 6/25, i'm real uptight just thinking about it! could you tell me how you got ready for your quit date?
you have done a wonderful job not smoking for that long, keep up the good work!

bevann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 AM   #3
(female)

MommaBryant HB User

I never thought to consider being smokeless as freedom, but you are so right. I've not made it a month yet, and there is still so many times my demon suggested I just have one to make me feel better for the moment, but freedom is another great word to help fight him off. Thanks

Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Boy, you hit it right on the mark with the word "freedom," MA2AZ.

I hit my month mark on Tuesday, 6/19, and it is sooooo nice to have control again. I really don't have too many memories of not smoking. I picked it up when I was 14, so other than a few fleeting glimpses of memories as a small child, all of my memories are that of smoking. The freedom is priceless and really immeasurable.

The small things I've been able to enjoy with this freedom:

Leaving the house on a whim -- not having to make sure I've got my smokes, my gum, my body spray, extra smokes, extra lighter. I can just grab my purse and make sure my phone's in it.

The stress of enjoying a meal with nonsmokers is gone! I used to have to quietly "excuse myself" after a meal to go outside in the rain, in the cold, in the wind to go smoke after and sometimes during a meal. And I know I stunk when I came back inside, but I was an addict.

Work is so much more stress-free. I have no control over my breaks. Various judges give them to me. Sometimes they're five minutes; sometimes they're 15 minutes. In those breaks, I'd have to change my paper, change my tapes, run to the bathroom and go down four flights of stairs, rush outside, take four or five hits off a smoke, go back through security, rush back upstairs and be seated in my chair for when court was back in session. That crap of rushing outside is done. Gone is that stress and in comes the freedom to spend my break how I want to spend it.

Movies!!! What smoker likes going to the movies? It's a waste of money because you're going to have to leave the theater at least once or twice to smoke. The freedom to enjoy going to the movies again ROCKS!!

Quitting is definitely hard, but it's really worth it when you consider how much control smoking had over us. The freedom is wonderful on the other side

Old 06-21-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

That is the #1 reason I stopped smoking. I hated having the monkey on my back. Going outside in cold or rain to have a cigarette. I think that one day the only place you will be able to smoke will be in your home. I love not smoking. 10 1/2 months for me. Godbless

Closed Thread