It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Training Wheels are Coming Off!

Howdy, Gang

Hope everyone's doing well!

I think I'm done with my stop-smoking aid (Chantix). I started it on 5/7, quit on 5/22, have never been able to take it exactly as directed, suffered through some moderate to severe joint pain (still am, as a matter of fact) and have been weaning myself off for a couple weeks now. I didn't even see it initially as a wean. I'd gotten through that first rough week on the full doses with debilitating nausea and just began decreasing my daily dosage until I could find a happy medium. I just kept feeling better and better each time I lowered my dose.

This past Sunday, I'd gotten down to a half milligram (half of a blue pill) in the a.m. only and did fine all week. Yesterday, Friday, I forgot to take it and felt incredible by the evening. This morning, I didn't take it. I still have them "just in case," but I really think I'm done and ready to ride my bike on my own without any help.

I've not had any change in cravings by doing this. If anyone just abruptly quits and has trouble, please talk to your doctor about a wean.

I know I'm an addict. I'll never, ever be able to take one puff of a cigarette. I can't rely on a pill for the rest of my life. I miss "me," too. This pill REALLY helps in a quit, I think because it just mellows you out so much, but I miss having energy, getting excited about something, even sad about something. I've had a taste of this over the last 24 hours, and I'm ready to have some of the old me back.

But a better me! A nonsmoking me! A richer me! A better smelling me!

These boards have been great. It's so awesome to be at "X" spot in your quit and be able to connect with someone who's right there at the same spot or was just there a week or two ago. It's also so rewarding to go back and read your own older posts and see your own progress.

Keep up the fight, folks! It's so worth it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: Training Wheels are Coming Off!

Stenolady, I weaned and came off the med great. A few wants but controllable to say the least. If you want to stay quit deal with one crave at a time and on a day to day basis. If I get too far ahead of myself it gets difficult. It is easier with every day that passes. You will do fine without your training wheels!!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Velveeta

It's been five days since my last Chantix, and I'm feeling okay. The only real urge I've noticed out of ordinary is the urge to bite my fingernails again. Oddly enough, I quit doing that on Chantix. I'm a bit dizzy at times, too, but who knows if that's related?

Have a great smoke-free day!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

At least biting your nails is not going to kill you. That will stop eventually I'm sure. Dizzy is not a thing that I felt but of course I did a 2 week wean. Hopefully it is a fluke and will not last long. Keep up the good work!!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
(female)

jeanusa HB User

I been thinking about weening off also. Some say don't do it but I feel the morning pill is more important than the evening for me. I have to remind myself to take it. It will be 2 months of Thursday and I think I can do it. I defintely do not want to relapse. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jean

Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #6
(female)

velveeta HB User

Personal preference Jean. I would base my decision on the strentgh of your will power. How bad do you want this quit. I did what I did as to not abandon the quit altogether. Insomnia and joint pain, had I not remedied that I would have given up quitting on the Chantix. I reduced my dosage and hung in there. Now it is purely me calling the shots. Not the addiction, the habit, the Chantix, nothing but pure will power and I like that fine. That is why I need you all. Reenforcements!!

Closed Thread