It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
(female)

Reyne HB User
Hubby quit...I cannot stand him

I am a former smoker..almost 1 yr down. I know how easy and how hard it is but well worth it.

But...my hubby quit about 3 months ago. He smokes once in a while but says he has it under control, fine.

I am not sure if I can stand him anymore though. The rollercoaster of emotions he goes through. The blame all goes on me, short temper, drinking vodka everynight. I have tried to get him to talk to the Dr about meds...I used them. But he is a man and can do it on his own.

Anybody else have the problem?? We are both reasonable people, and we for the most part get along. But not how sure to deal with this if he will not get help???

Yeah..to all the quitters. I love being smoke free.

Last edited by Reyne; 06-26-2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: double post

Old 06-26-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: Hubby quit...I cannot stand him

Reyne, Congrats on a year! Can not wait til I am at that point. Almost 4 months for me. The husband... always the husband. My husband always expressed the want to quit and we were planning on it and I got on the Chantix. I think he thought it would not work for me and was surprised that it did. I was quit a month and got to where I could not stand the smell and the nasty kisses and the reeking skin. Kept saying he was going to go on the Chantix and kept putting it off. I got ****** and guilted him which I hate to do and he started taking the Chantix that I was not using as I had cut down on the dosage. Suffice it to say he has been quit 2 months and is off the Chantix. He tells people he had 3 choices divorce, murder or quit smoking. I am thankful he quit smoking and know s he really loves me. We are both happy about our decision and our quits. Be strong in your quit and just encourage your hubby to join you. I know that nastiness is hard to deal with sometimes. Hang in there. Maybe counseling or like you said meds might help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
(female)

Reyne HB User

Thanks velveeta! My hubby has quit ad he is the one who wanted to quit!! He will smoke when ever him and his brother get together..fine that is his decision. I do not really care if he does/does not smoke...his life.

But when he quits he is just impossible to be around. Just anxiety and blames everything on me. Which is wierd because he is a very level headed fair guy. He did the Chantix way also and it worked well. But I just have had it!

Congrate's to you and your hubby. You will have a year down in no time! I hate the smell also and do not miss the habit at all.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

So just maybe don't be around him too much. Maybe he will get the hint. Not to say that me and mine did not have a few nit picking sessions but it has eased up. We just go to separate corners for a while until things iron out. We have been married for 24 years so we kind of know how to fight fair. Good luck to you! I love being quit, should have never ever smoked that first cig.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

DH & I are having similar troubles at times. We both quit and we're both a bit, um, "off." We never really fought before, so maybe we just don't know how to really fight, but we're on edge a lot. Our sex life went from overdrive kicking butt to rusted shut inoperable in the garage, too. I'm seriously hoping that gets back to normal soon. Really seems like we picked an awful time to quit smoking (just major life stressors, horrible news, layoffs, insurance ineligibility).

I don't know how much of a help this might be, but taking an evening stroll in the neighborhood after dinner seems to help a little bit. It helps us for the rest of the night, anyway.

Good luck to you and your DH & congrats on a year!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #6
(female)

Reyne HB User

Thanks...I just feel like I am going insane somedays. It is amazing how us smoke junkies think that cigs "solved" our problems. Life happen smokes did not make it better.

I have always worked out so that helps me get everything out. My hubby did start biking this week to blow off steam. I understand how he is feeling cuz I have been there and know the anxiety. I went to the Dr and asked for help, he being a man will not.

Wow...Velveeta married 24yrs I got alot of learning to do. We have about 5 yrs down. I know we will work it out but just needed to vent!!

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Congrats to all of ya's.I took my first chantix pill this morning.

After smoking 23 years its time and when I was DX'd with MS,I started to smoke twice as much to cover up symptoms.

My hubby of 18 years is already complaining that I'm trying the Chantix,he said I'd have wild mood swings and all.But I have to do this for me and if the mood swings get wild at times all well.

I told my hubby that if he couldn't be supportive of my decision then go on vacation or home to his mama for the next 2 months.

But this is for me,instead of me doing for him or the kids.

I just ask them if I get agitated just let me be and it will pass.But this all takes time and just be patient with me.

My son and I joined the local gym and when he isn't working we walk or my daughter walks with me.

I'm a hundred percent committed on suceeding this time.

I've realized stress is always gonna be part of my life and smoking isn't gonna make things go away.It's just a crutch.

I can't wait to say its a year but one step at a time.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
(female)

Reyne HB User

Good for you Nuff!! My hubby used Chantix and really liked it!! He really did not have any mood swings till he stopped taking it. He would not take it longer than a month, he hates pills. But did not having any side effects, or mood swings.

My self I have panic attacks...which went away after a few months. And honestly I do not miss one thing about smoking. Stick with it!!

Take your extra energy to the gym and work it off...hey now you will be able to breath better!!! That is one thing I do not miss the wheezing and hacking

Old 06-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
(female)

velveeta HB User

Goody for you nuff! Let us know your progress. No Crutches! I like that!!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reyne
I smoked my last cig at 2:16 today.Last one in the carton and I'm not goona go to the store.Mind over matter.

But hubby will go out and buy a pak and lay them on the table.This time I'll open them up and run them under the facet.He needs to see he's wasting his money.He's a non-smoker.

He says I get nasty when I attempt to quit.

Nows the perfect time for me,I'm coming off 1000mgs of steroids and taper down,when these DRs do this the steroids make me real agitated and moody.I won't know if its the steroids or the lack of nicotine.The the steroids will help keep the lungs open.

I agree with your hubby,I hate pills,but I have daily maintence meds,thats a must take.

I sure hope I don't get panic attacks.

Velveeta,

No crutches,the leg braces are bad enough.(lol)

No more excuses for the smoking,just a bad habit,and bad habits need to be broke.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #11
(female)

Reyne HB User

Just remember Nuff..if you need help ask! I was at the Dr's office every 2 wks just freaking out! He prescribed some meds I took them when I needed and now I do not need them anymore. Do whatever it takes, go for a walk, bike, I had to walk around the block several times.

Also remember to reward yourself and be patient. It WILL get better and a cig is not going to make it better. Take it day by day, hour by hour, min by min...do not think about the next day!!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Reyne,

I'm doing good on the chantix and not smoking.I'm already on edge anyways after a MS attack and high powered steroid use and with the taper down,that all ready makes me edgy so Now was the right time for the chantix.

As for the mood swings I have meds here at home that I can take as needed,so that helps.My GP said if I had questions just to call his offoce.

They will not let me take the full does of chantix,after the 7 days the 8th he wants me to cut the tablets in half.I just wonder if its because of all of the meds I already take.

But it definatly has helped,a big difference than the gum,patches and cold turkey.

Closed Thread