It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
(female)

velveeta HB User
Food for Thought

I read on a web site today that there were only 2 good reasons to take a puff once you've quit smoking. 1. You decide you want to go back to your old level of consumption until smoking cripples or kills you or, 2. you decide you really enjoy withdrawal and you want to make it last forever. As long as neither of these options appeals to you- Never take another puff! I wrote this down so that I can look at it every once in awhile to keep me quit! Just thought I would share.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User
Re: Food for Thought

Thanks for sharing that with us. I think it will be beneficial for my quit. I am going to copy it and tape it to the bathroom mirror as an afirmation. Congrats on the quit, you are awsome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Mmm...where's the food? Food on a smoking cessation forum, being brought up by someone named Velveeta? Yum!!! I've got salsa!

Sorry. I'm feeling a bit "spunky" today. Must be a full moon or something. I'm still on my high from yesterday. Hit the grocery store for some green beans and saw turkey Italian sausages were on sale for $2.99 a pound. I'm Italian through and through, so I was going to stock up on these for my sausage, peppers & onions that I make a stock pot full of every couple months. Grabbed five packages of them intending to freeze them once home. Got to the register, and they range up $4.99 a pound. Uh, I don't think so! Squabbled a bit with the cashier, and we walked back to the bin where I'd got them. Sure enough, they were on sale. Well, the grocery store is doing this new thing where if it's advertised on sale and doesn't ring up the sale price, IT'S FREE!!!

Yes, I walked out with 30 HUGE sausages (turkey -- don't want to blow up like a balloon here) for free .

Good things

I positively LOVE No. 2 with the reasons you listed!!! Ain't that the truth? I never, ever want to go through that again.

Thanks so much for sharing

Old 06-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

I know food is just so good anymore. My salt consumption has gone way down since I've quit to. How are those Turkey sausages? Never tried them so tell me what brand to start with and I will try them next time I make sauce. I have never put jarred or canned sauce in my mouth. As far as # 2 on that list of reasons that is the one that scares me the most because we all know I was not scared enough to stop smoking before I did. Spunky is good, nothing to apologize for! Three months and 2 weeks quit here! Yipee!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I get them at our local grocery chain, Publix. It's the Publix brand back in the butcher area. The turkey ones I can't tell a difference with at all from the traditional pork, and it saves about 18 grams of saturated fat per sausage. The organic, steroid-free, antibiotic-free, cage-free, grass-and-other-good-stuff fed CHICKEN sausages are nasty, IMO. Don't waste your money there. I try to buy the organic/good stuff when I can, but those chicken sausages are just plain strange. I've got a dozen of them cooked and frozen in my freezer that I have no idea what to do with. No red sauce with them; just carmelized, gooey onions and peppers and the sauce all that makes. Thoughts? I was thinking of putting them on a homemade pizza and covering them up with some cheese, but I don't think I can do that 12 times. They taste very different than regular/turkey sausage, look different and have a very unusual texture. Birdfood maybe?

No jar sauces here, either. Ever. We don't even go out for Italian since it's never close to the real thing -- at least here. Maybe if I lived in NY or Philly or somewhere with a large Italian population, I'd feel different, but the popular Italian places here are Olive Garden and Carrabba's. Not really my cup of tea, you know?

Wow ... so things are tasting very salty to you, too? I can't believe how salty things are. Even the other day when I made that roast (last night was leftovers), I bought reduced-sodium beef broth because the last time I made gravy, it was wicked salty.

Almost Friday!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
(female)

velveeta HB User

We have Publix right down the street. I love the place and know exactly the sausage you speak of. I did buy their homemade keilbasa that was real good too. I will sneak the turkey sausage to the fam next spaghetti night. Since quitting smoking I am trying to eat healthier so will give that a try. I do not like to eat Italian out either. Rather make my own. Well its off to the store for me!

Closed Thread