It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
finally quit!

my quit date of 6/25 was a little messed up. had my last cig at noon. hubby still had cigs left, so of course i could'nt control myself and smoked one of his at 6pm. beat myself up about my slip quite a bit. anyway i have been smoke free since mon. 6/25 @ 6pm!
hubby still had 1 pk left to smoke, so his last cig was yesterday afternoon.
i have not had a real problem drinking morning coffee(thought i would)but, only making 1/2 pot for us to share instead of the whole pot we shared when smoking. if i'm just sitting, i do word search book or read(always smoked when i read too, chew on a straw now).
seem to have less nausea on the chantix now that i quit, also. been doing slow deep breaths to help cravings. i definitely believe the habit is the hardest to break, the nicotine w/d did'nt seem bad at all.
so glad i am joining all you quitters! i now need to get that "i will never smoke again!" down pat.
thanks to all for being here, i am sure i will be venting from time to time!
bevann

Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: finally quit!

How wonderful for you Bevann! I am proud of you! Just relish the power you are having over nicotine! The best advice I can give is take it hour by hour and day by day. Stay away from the triggers. One thing that is for sure is the longer you stay quit the easier it becomes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Whooo-hooooo! Another quitter -- these quitters are good! And another Floridian

I totally agree with Velveeta there above me. One day at a time. Just get through today. Deal with tomorrow when you wake up and say the same thing, "Just get through today." It's great your hubby is quitting with you. I think a lot of us are "surprised" by what our trouble spots are with quitting. I was positive morning coffee and driving would be the worst. I have no trouble at all there. My worst time is the time I thought would be the easiest, the hours between like 5:30 in the evening and the time we go to bed. I figured those would be the times DH & I would have each other, we'd be cooking, eating, cleaning up, involved in watching a movie on tv or something ... just busy.

I think it's a struggle for us because it's nearly impossible to create a new routine during that time. Sorry, but I'm not going to make a new habit out of cleaning bathrooms at 10 at night, and I can't really pick a new time to eat dinner, you know? Plus, that's our "relaxing" time, and our brains associated relaxing with a smoke.

Let us know how it's going for you! You are absolutely through the worst of it

Old 06-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Keep it up. Godbless

Old 06-29-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Way to go, Bevann!! It's really true that it DOES get easier as time goes by. Every week, every month, etc. My hubby and I quit together too, [although he went first...I wanted to make sure that he really meant it this time, after being fooled so many times before this quit]. It's now been over 4 years since he smoked, and in Sept, [24th], will be my 4 year anniversary. Sometimes, I/we can hardly believe it! WE both smoked like chimneys!

We loved it and never thought that we could ever quit [for keeps]!

Just hang in there, and remember, those craving don't last long, and you will/can/must live through them! They will eventualy go away someday. Smoking never even enters my mind any longer. ...and you will be SO glad that you didn't give in!

..doing it for keeps this time...
Love, Deda

Old 06-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks everyone for your best wishes!
yesterday i felt real sluggish and slept alot during the day. is this part of w/d? i don't seem to have any energy to do a thing!
bevann

Old 06-29-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
(female)

velveeta HB User

May very well be withdrawal. First 3 days is the hardest til nicotine is out of your system totally. I never felt sluggish, just a bit calmer than usual. Could also be a side effect of the Chantix and just a combo of both. Read thru your inserts. It will get better and if you have any doubts by all means call your doc. Let us know how you are doing.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Bevann--

Nicotine IS a stimulant,...so it's not surprising if you feel somewhat sluggish for a while. I felt unmotivated to do much at first...except for being on this computer a lot to pass time. I did start walking though, and short walks can be very stimulating...and cool showers... and cups ofcoffee..LOL
OH!! ..and one other stimulating [fun] thing too... you know... relieves a lot of that tension!

It'll get better....it's SO worth it though, for sure.
Congratulations to you on staying quit so far! THAT'S WONDERFUL!

Deda

Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I slept a lot during that first week. Even had to squeeze in a couple mid-afternoon naps, which is very unusual for me. I'd go to bed early, too. Probably for a variety of reasons, (1) to get another day under my belt by going to bed; (2) exhaustion; (3) withdrawal; (4) feelings of just not knowing what to do with myself as a nonsmoker, i.e., if I was asleep, I wasn't smoking.

FWIW, I came out of my slumber after about a week or so.

Congratulations on another day being quit!

Happy Friday

Old 06-30-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

i agree, can't smoke while i'm sleeping! another thing bugging me is i seem to have more congestion, wheezing etc. at night.
now i have to prepare myself for out of state company coming on monday. they are both smokers, and will be staying a few days. i feel this is going to be quite a problem! any ideas on how to handle this?
thanks all, best of luck staying quit....bevann

Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #11
(female)

velveeta HB User

Stay strong and feel sorry for them!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, stay strong when your company is staying with you. Obviously don't let them smoke in the house.

We had a pool party last weekend and a few smokers attended. DH & I set up a smoking "section" away from where the main festivities were outside. I mean, we didn't set it up in an area of the yard so that the smokers would have felt like outcasts. We spruced it up, too, and made it pleasant, but we weren't shy about letting them know about our quit, how we were still a bit soon into our quit and hoped they understood. They absolutely did.

Keep plenty of stuff like gum, mints, pretzel sticks out for the smokers. We found last week that our smoking friends would often reach for my gum or a mint to put off smoking for a bit and, say, continue with a conversation instead of having to "go away" to smoke.

If I were you, I'd use this opportunity to reinforce your wonderful decision to quit. Take a good whiff of them after they've smoked and take pride knowing you don't smell that way anymore. When you guys are all enjoying a meal together, have a little smile to yourself knowing how much more flavorful the food and drink is to you as a nonsmoker. If you can, look at their eyes when they first light up. You can actually see how the addiction affects smokers when they first light up. Look at their faces after a meal knowing what's ruling them vs. you.

I avoided smokers as long as I possibly could once I quit, but I've had two social settings now with smokers, and it terrified me at first. But, once again, mind over matter here. Take it as a time to give yourself a huge pat on the back, as well as, in effect, looking through a time machine at how you used to be.

Have a lovely time!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

thankyou, you're advise is helping me concentrate on what i need to do. hubby is actually saying he will want to drink beer, and if it's a problem w/o smoking, he will smoke while they're here, then quit again!
for a couple minutes i thought, good, if he does than i can! hit myself in the head for that one! i am not going to undo what i have done this wk!
still had another day of watching alot of tv, feeling tired. the only thing i've looked forward to this wk was waiting til time to prepare a meal, then eating it!
i am in nh for 3 mos. right now, not going back to fla til sept. weather has not been very nice which is depressing also. i need to make myself do something!
bevann

Old 07-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

i have been smoke free for 5 full days, but having a bad time today. once again i have no energy, watched alot of tv, and don't know what to do besides chew on a straw! i am real nudgy, not feeling good at all, having anticipation about company coming tomorrow also.
i use to have a cig going all the time, unless i was watching tv. my tv is in my bedroom and i never smoked in bed. i had cig going during all daily activities, even though i was not sitting and smoking, i kept coming back to it to take a drag. i had never even had any kind of drink w/out having a cig with it, even water! i really think i am in deep trouble here. hubby went to store for me today because i was afraid if i went in i would buy cigs. i am pathetic, and need any advise i can get!
thanks to all of you who helped me up til now.......bevann

Old 07-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
(female)

velveeta HB User

Bevann, Hold on do not light a cig!!Do not throw those 5 days away. It feels good to own those days so be strong. The worst is over. The nicotine is out of your system and if you light up you will just flat out feel bad. You have the power right now. Do anything but don't light up. You can do this!

Closed Thread