It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
(male)

nirobob HB User
Quit date moday 2nd july

I have set a quit smoking date as the 2nd July, should I go cold turkey (no patches etc), or should I use something to help me quit?

I've smoked for around 20 years now, at around 20 a day. I really want to start a family with my wife - who finds smoking disgusting - but im also a little overweight.

Joined a gym, so that should help, but work can be very stressful. Any suggestions, please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
(female)

jeanusa HB User
Re: Quit date moday 2nd july

Hi, Great for you on quitting smoking. There are so many options today so try one if that doesn't work try another. Joining the gym is a great way to keep quit. I have been a member for 12 years but after I quit smoking I am religous about it. Everyday after work from 4:45 till about six. It is so helpful. Let us know how you start and keep posting that is also very helpful.
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU

Jean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
(male)

nirobob HB User

Thanks for the support, my boss at work has quit for over a year now, she didnt have any quitting aids to help her, just went cold turkey. I also have the bosses support so that'll help.

Also, in England they have introduced the no smoking in public places ban on sunday, so no more going to the bar with a ciggie. This is the time that I WILL quit. My wife will be proud!!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
(female)

jeanusa HB User

That is great I always wished that I had someone who really understood what I was going thru now. Everybody I work with never smoked. Don't get me wrong people really are proud of what I am doing but it would be great a work. Your lucky. Please let us know how it is going for you. We are all going thru it with you. Best of luck

Jean

Old 06-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

best of luck to you on your quit date!
as far as a good smoking aid goes, i have seen many people use all different methods, including myself. some have quit, some have'nt. i think what you need is to be in the right state of mind, serious about your quit, and aid or not, you will be successful!
myself, i quit on 6/25 with chantix.
whatever way you choose, you are making the right choice to quit!
bevann

Old 06-29-2007, 06:45 AM   #6
(female)

velveeta HB User

nirobob, So you have decided to be a free man, free from the binds of nicotine! Good for you! You are going to love the way you feel! They say cold turkey is the best way but I am not that tough. Tried that numerous times and tried the patch and then tried Chantix. Chantix was my ticket. Minimal side effects and a calmer me while going thru withdrawals. Did not think it would work and when I saw that it was I just did it. So which ever way you decide, just do it for you and really want it. Really wanting it is the key! Good luck to you!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Nirobob, good for you!!!

Whatever it takes to quit, you know? Cold turkey would probably be the way to start. I mean, if you grow a third head or feel you might end up on the news, you can turn to some kind of aid, you know?

I mainly wanted to comment on the smoking ban. You are picking a great time to quit. I'm in FL, and we had a smoking ban here a couple years ago. Let me tell you: It's hard being a smoker here. Even smoking outside, you get the nastiest looks, restaurants in particular. No more smoking inside, so they put the ashtrays right at the front door. For a smoker, an ashtray usually means this is the place to smoke. This means nonsmokers get to walk through clouds of smoke to enter and leave these businesses. It's just a real bummer for everyone.

I forget that some states still permit smoking at restaurants and bars when I read posts on these forums. I'm very thankful now that the ban went into effect -- at least from a quit-smoking perspective. Definitely makes going out fun. Not sure how I feel about it from a private property rights' view, but that debate is for another day and probably on a different forum

Best of luck to you in your quit!!! You can absolutely do it on your own, with help or even a bit of both

Old 07-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
(female)

Liz74 HB User

How are you doing Nirobob? Did you decide cold turkey or with some help? I quit on the 3rd but I'm using chantix, if I did cold turkey I'd either severly injure someone or be curled up in a ball crying (perhaps going back and forth between both). Please let us know you're still alive!

As for bans, in MD it differs by county and the county I live in bans it in all public places indoors including bars. The county I work can still have smoking sections but it seems like most of the restaurants I've been to at lunch don't have them or didn't have many smokers the day I was there because I didn't see a cloud. I live 20 minutes from VA (used to live there too) and when one of my friends who still lives there and I would go out to dinner we'd always meet in that state so we could smoke in the restaurant. Since it's a big tobacco state it will probably be a while before it changes statewide but northern VA is almost a different state. I'd suspect if any counties pass bans Arlington and Fairfax counties would do it first if they haven't yet.

Closed Thread