It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

lattenosugar HB User
mood swings on chantix

My husband is on day 17 of chantix (day 10 of quitting smoking). He is so moody. Im almost afraid of his reactions. He recognizes how angry he gets. The looks on his face of rage over the smallest things. I have 4 children. While we are thrilled that he quit cigarettes, everyone in the house is afraid of him. He has been a smoker for over 20 years. He has tried to quit before on several occasions and the terrible physical withdrawals were nearly bad enough to be hospitalized. This time is different. He has no problem not smoking. He has terrible heartburn -which is remedied by tuns and reflux meds. But the mood swings...... How long will these last? I think he needs to spend a week or two away from home while he gets through this. He sleeps as soon as dinner is over to separate himself (Im sure this isnt helping the heartburn). He walks in the morning. This is just awful I dont even know this man. I dont even want him here. I miss my loving husband.

Any thoughts?

christine

Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: mood swings on chantix

I could have written your post -- minus the children, as we are a childless couple.

My DH had a horrible emotional problem on Chantix. He's a shy, quiet, sweet artist, not a violent or mean bone in his body. He was TOTALLY different on this med! He, too, had attempted many quits before, and we've never witnessed anything like this. He now refers to "that time" as his dark spot. He was just so angry on this med.

He, unfortunately, just couldn't stay on it. He started it on 5/7, quit smoking on 5/22 and quickly stopped the med after "hell week," that first week being quit from smokes.

Mind you, I took it with him, as did my mother. None of us had this kind of reaction.

DH is slowly feeling like himself again. It did not disappear once he stopped the med, unfortunately. I began to question whether it was the med or depression from nicotine withdrawal, but he is absolutely positive it was the med. I can respect that. BC pills did quite a number on me psychologically for years and everyone thought I was nuts for even suggesting it might be the pill. Now depression, anxiety, loss of libido, etc., are known and accepted side effects of the pill.

After about three weeks being off the med and still feeling a bit blue, our health food store guy recommended something called Holy Basil for him. He's been taking it once daily for a week and it has really helped. He feels much, much better.

He's also smoke-free still! It definitely helped him get through the hardest part of the quit. He just couldn't stay on it for very long.

Best of luck to you both. You're definitely not alone!

Last edited by StenoLady1; 06-28-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
(female)

velveeta HB User

Consult your physician while cutting back on the dosage is the first thing I would do. Chantix made me feel calmer but I have heard more stories like this happening to men than women. The nicotine is out of his system and he is definately over the withdrawal phase so if he is strong enough to cold turkey, that is what I would do. Worst part is over in my opinion. Good Luck to to you and let us know what is happening.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
(female)

MrsAKAK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattenosugar View Post
My husband is on day 17 of chantix (day 10 of quitting smoking). He is so moody. Im almost afraid of his reactions. He recognizes how angry he gets. The looks on his face of rage over the smallest things. I have 4 children. While we are thrilled that he quit cigarettes, everyone in the house is afraid of him. He has been a smoker for over 20 years. He has tried to quit before on several occasions and the terrible physical withdrawals were nearly bad enough to be hospitalized. This time is different. He has no problem not smoking. He has terrible heartburn -which is remedied by tuns and reflux meds. But the mood swings...... How long will these last? I think he needs to spend a week or two away from home while he gets through this. He sleeps as soon as dinner is over to separate himself (Im sure this isnt helping the heartburn). He walks in the morning. This is just awful I dont even know this man. I dont even want him here. I miss my loving husband.

Any thoughts?

christine

Girl, I know what you mean. My husband is the same way. I have to send my kids away for a few weeks because of his problem. He's very moody, my 3 girls can't do anything without him being right there to complain. I can't call his name and him not give me a look like I did something wrong. Your husband is going to get to the point where he doesn't care about any thing or any one around him. My husband went to the doctors and had blood work done on him. He has a high Thyroid level which is a thyroid disease. He is on medication for 6 weeks. Never had the problem before he started the stupid pills. Try to get your husband to the doctor. He may have what my husband has, along with other problems. This pill does work but I don't think it's safe to take. My kids are hoping their dad is back to normal when they come home.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
(female)

PixieJen HB User

You guys are starting to worry me... do they know the long term effects?

Old 07-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
(female)

velveeta HB User

Pixiejen, Calm down girlfriend, I think these are isolated events and I seem to think it happens more in men, this anger thing as I have been reading all over the net. I took Chantix for 2 months and the worse thing I got was a little excess gas and some insomnia with joint pain. I adjusted the dosage myself and the insomnia ceased and so did the joint pain. I have not grown a tail or third eye yet so it is all good!!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Velvetta thanks for the good giggle.(having a rough day) You just brightened it up.

I take half a dose and doing great with the chantix.I have insomnia,but had that before taking the chantix.I do have knee and hip pain,but don't know if thats from my multiple sclerosis,physical therapy,going to the fitness center,the chantex or maybe just old age!!!! HECK I DON'T CARE,I'M NICOTINE FREE and thats what counts.

I have read certain side effects,but these are isolated cases and we really have to look at whats best for each of us,we all react to meds differently.

I have not developed any additional body parts , my moods are not altered and the chantix seems to be working with all my other meds,except my insulin med(steroid induced) but thats only minor and will be okay after another 2 weeks,no more steroids.YEA!!!

So its out weighing the good and the bad.

Pixie Jen you'll do just fine,if you develope a problem then call your GP.We are all here for you.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
(female)

velveeta HB User

At 50 I do not know what to blame on what. Things generally hurt at around this age and then there is menopause and hormonal issues, cigarette withdrwal and Chantix side effects so sometimes it is difficult to sort it all out. I give up trying. All I know is that I feel so much better quit both physically and mentally. One less thing I have got to worry about. Just taking it one day at a time. Hope all are faring well in their quits! Good Luck!!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Well I'm only 41 and I know once I turned 40 everything fell apart real quick .

I agree I feel 100 % better not smoking!!!!!The aches and pains are incidental when ya can't breathe correctly.

Now hoping to be able to build a better lung compacity,which I know will come with time.

I'd like to get back into some light jogging one of these days.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
(female)

PixieJen HB User

Well, i am a worry wart especially when it comes to new drugs. I had a bit of insomnia last night but thats probably due to the fact that i had a long nap yesterday. I did start having lucid dreams, those are pretty cool. The one last night helped me decide what I want my wedding dress to look like. Heh, not that I'm engaged... yet.
I think the side effects are becoming less noticable, so hopefully by friday they'll more or less be gone.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #11
(female)

Liz74 HB User

I'm moody but not to the extreme described in a few posts here (but those were men). It's not hormones either, I don't usually get any kind of PMS or mood swings. I'll feel fine for a while, and then I'll be sulky for a while. I'm not sure if it's lack of nicotine or the drug itself.

I see I'm not the only 'fart machine' on it.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
(female)

velveeta HB User

Ladies and Gentlemen! Some of the side effects from Chantix are the same as nicotine withdrawal especially during the first few days or couple of weeks.Research nicotine withdrawal and you will see what I mean. If any thing pesists too long it is time to go to the doctor. Hope this helps.

Closed Thread