It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #1
(female)

Coasty HB User
Smile Newbie to quit board

Hi all!
I too have quit smoking! Finally! It is only Day 5. I started smoking at 12 and I am now 31. I have health anxiety, (always thinking I was going to have a heart attck and leave my kids) and needed to quit. I felt so guilty smoking, which would cause me to tense up, which would trigger an anxiety attack etc etc.
I really enjoyed smoking, and I could quite easily pick up a smoke now and have one, but I am not craving for it, does that make sense?
I read Allen Carrs 'Easy way to give up smoking' and everything he said made perfect sense, but I decided to use patches as well, because I knew I wouldn't be able to do it on my own.
I was in tears on Day 1. I really missed my morning coffee/smoke, I knew that would be the hardest part of the day for me, but I didn't get upset until about 10am?!? Same on Day 2, same time and all. I decided that I wouldn't be able to do it if I felt the same on Day 3, but Day 3 was easy as pie! I thought about smokes, but I didn't NEED to have one, and I have been the same since.
My mum has also quit (not given up..we haven't 'given up' anything, just stopped), as has my husband, so I have a lot of support.
Thank you for reading my post, and I look forward to 'chatting' to you all some more!
Sara

Last edited by Coasty; 07-03-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #2
(male)

sobah HB User
Re: Newbie to quit board

Sara, 5 days without a smoke.....do you realize how cool that is ??!! Do it one day at a time. Just keep doing it !!!!!!! 30 days for me today.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Sara, five days without a smoke is awesome!!! I find that every day is a little bit easier than the previous day. You're recognizing your triggers which is fantastic. You need to recondition your brain for all those times you would normally smoke.

That is so cool your mom and hubby are quitting with you. Same here, as a matter of fact. It's so nice to have such a close support group

Let us know how it's going for you! Keep up the great job!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
(female)

Liz74 HB User

Great news Sara! (no -h just like my middle name ) I just posted my quit thread- today is day one for me. Could I find that book at a bookstore or did you have to get it online? It sounds like it could help me. While I wasn't actually crying it's been a lonely morning. My real challange will be tomorrow the 4th- I have the day off so too much in terms of opportunity to possibly buy some. I'm going to try to stay busy and luckily I need to go to the gym. I'm also going to see fireworks with a friend.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
(female)

Coasty HB User

Thank you all so much for your support! I really feel like a smoke this morning, kids have been driving me bonkers, a bit bored, but I am not going to, I will just give it a few minutes and the feeling will pass.....waiting, waiting, waiting lol!
Liz, I did get the book off **** because it was cheaper than in the bookstore, but it is available anywhere here in Aust, so I can't see why it wouldn't be in the US too. It is really hard to explain how the book works, but it is almost as though he tunes into the part of your brain that keeps us smoking, telling it that we don't need smokes, and we don't want them either because if you think about it, they really do taste horrible. Things like that, all through the book I kept saying, 'He's so right, never thought of it like that, etc etc'. He doesn't even go on about the things we already know like how bad they are for us, how much they cost etc. It is mentioned, but not a great deal.
Thank you again everyone, I really REALLY appreciate the support!
Sara

Old 07-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
(female)

Coasty HB User

Sorry to the Mods for posting a bad word, I didn't even think! It won't happen again... :-)

Closed Thread