It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
(female)

lynxgal HB User
Anyone using the patch?

Hi,

Tomorrow is my quit day YAY! Just wondering if anyone is currently using the patch? If so, how well did it help?

I have tried to quit cold turkey a million times before and I always seem to fail. I have been smoking since I was 14 and I am 39 now.

I have already reduced my coffee drinking down to no more then 2 cups per day (started that a month ago was drinking as much as 10 cups per day!) and increased my water intake. Any other suggests would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

avon14 HB User
Re: Anyone using the patch?

Hi. Good luck in trying to quit. I used the gum & found that to help me. Stopped for 2 years, after the 3month programme. My brother used the patch,about 10 yrs ago & is still not smoking. Found that when the craving became intense, i would take deep breathes, which helped for those 5min of craving.
Dont knock yourself if you fail again. A time will come that you will be able to handle the stress involved in quitting.
Good luck & God bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
(female)

plc HB User

Good for you, Let me know how the patch is working??? I have tryed Cold turkey also, needless to say failed. I was thinking of using the gum, heard the patch can cause insominia.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
(female)

lynxgal HB User

I think I am going to remove the patch before bed cause I already have problems sleeping sometimes. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

I used the patch a couple years ago and it was working very well for the first 6 weeks. Then I had a set back at work, a highly stressful shift, and had a smoke break with a co-worker. I quickly quit the patch and went back to smoking. I didn't do a very good job of forgiving myself for the slip.

Although, I do think I pushed into the 3rd step too soon. The system I used had step 1 for 4 weeks, step 2 for 2 weeks and step 3 for 2 weeks. I think I needed the 2nd step patch for 4 weeks also. Let your cravings guide when you drop a level.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I tried the patch but found it to easy to peel it off and have a smoke and slap it back on.I quess I lacked the will power.

Now on chantix and been smoke free for 6 days and once I ingest that pill there's no removing it.I have had many friends that have had great success with the patches and gum.

I have found after several attempts,it comes down to actual determination and the want to quit.

I wanted this for me and no one else, and not because some one says I needed to.Mainly my DRs.

I set my quit date the day my daughter left for the Navy,I felt that she was fighting for our country so I had the priveledges of selecting my own Drs that it was time for me to be strong enough to fight for my health and to make a difference in it , as she is for our country.(The kid turned downed West Point for her Naval Dream).When I see her in 9 weeks I can't wait to surprise her.And ya ain't gonna get a more stressful situation than watching a 17 year old leave home.I have coped well and to be honest I have had no cravings as I'm focused on how she's doing(Got a letter today,breif but great).

If you have the will and the want you can do it and succeed.Try to keep focused and after 3 days the nicotine is out of you system,the rest is cravings and a bad habbit.

I have faith in ya.If I can last 6 days anyone can!!!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
(female)

lynxgal HB User

Thank you all for your input and wish me luck !

Old 07-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Goodluck you can do it and I agree with removing the patch at night.Just for the simple fact is you'd have nicotine going through your system 24/7.Just remember the first 3 days are the hardest,then the nicotine is out of the system.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Good Luck Lynxgal!! I know you can do it. Remember, we are all here to listen to a vent, cheer your success and give our support when it is needed. You will not be alone, I have been the receipient of all of that and ready to give back.

Me - cheering you on

Old 07-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
(female)

raymae HB User

hi there
i started using nicorette patches last sunday (1st july) i tried to give up cold turkey before , and after 3 weeks ended up giving in. i have the 16 hour one, so it comes off before bed. so far, so good! im still a little short tempered at times but not craving a ciggeratte more just a feeling of missing them at certain times. i do feel very sleepy throughout the day though, dont know if this is common with the patches or common in general for someone whose stopped smoking?
best of luck to you.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #11
(female)

lynxgal HB User

raymae, I am still having some cravings but they really aren't that bad I can deal. Good luck to you too.

Closed Thread