It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

raymae HB User
Arrow giving up with nicorette patches

hi everyone.
i am 33 years old and from england. i have smoked for around 20 years and gone from a light smoker to heavy smoker over those years. last year i gave up for 3 weeks cold turkey and this time round decided to use patches to hopefully have more chance of success.
i stopped smoking on the 1st july (the smoking ban come in that day on public places in england, so i thought it would be a great oppurtunity to quit at the same time) im finding the patches very helpful compared to when i tried with no help last time round. i am currently on 15 mg for max of 16 hours a day. i still get a little hot headed over trivial things at the moment but i only seem to fancy a *** about 4/5 times a day, and its not a desperate craving, just a brief thought. (like im just missing them rather then wanting them) i have managed to have friends over for dinner who are smokers and resist any temptation. (mainly because they are smelling like walking ashtrays) i do keep going to sleep during the day and dont feel very energetic. i also have had for the past 3 days what i would describe as congested airways. breathing is fine but throat feels slightly sore and further down feels a little tiggly, i do little coughs to try clear it. guess theres many years of junk to get rid of down there.(although not coughing anything up)
AND I KEEP EATING!!! this is my second attempt and i so hope i do it this time, i know that the average to finally quit is a lot more trys then that, my husband has been giving up for years on and off (he got to stage he could take it or leave it) but last year when he had another "im not gonna smoke no more" days , he finally did it, he said he felt totally different then all the other times hed quit before, from his feelings to his withdrawal. (and yet he had quit for long periods even 2 years at one point previosly) and i can tell to that his attitude is totally different now its like his never even been an addicted smoker this time round. i guess thats the key to this NEVER GIVE UP QUITTING AND ONE DAY YOU WILL SUCEED! so im gonna give this my best and really try to make quit number 2 the one to rid the ciggies for good -but if i fail at any point i am not going to turn back into a heavy smoker for another year , i will just keep quitting until i am rid of NASTY NIC!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User
Re: giving up with nicorette patches

This is me cheering you on!

Good luck on your quit. Remember to drink plenty of water, that will help some with the throat. Also, when you have a craving do some deep breathing, the craving will pass. Set up some short term rewards for yourself and if you set aside the money you would have spent on cigarettes each day, you can use that money to pay for some nice rewards.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
(female)

lynxgal HB User

YAY Raymae! You can do it. I will be here cheering you on!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 AM   #4
(female)

raymae HB User

thank you so much for your kind support!!!
im still doing ok. today (7th july) i am really suffering with my throat, feeling the need to keep coughing to clear it. i hardly had any voice when i first woke this morning, very irritating and disapointing but im gonna keep going. IM NOT GIVING IN!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i have been smoke free for 2 wks now. i am still feeling congested, mainly during the nite, but not coughing anything up either. as far as the being tired all the time, i was there too, hope that will pass soon.
you are doing a great job, if i did it after 42 yrs of smoking, and smoke related illnesses, anyone can do it.....good luck and keep telling yourself that smoking creates bad health problems, including carrying oxygen one day!
you go girl!................bevann

Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
(female)

raymae HB User

thanks bevann.
im on day 10 now and been doing ok. getting some bellyaches at the moment, probably all the extra food intake. (luckily most of its salad) still sleeping huge amounts though, days just seem so long!

Closed Thread