It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

judy1172 HB User
I guess I just quit smoking

I've been on Chantix for ten days and was waiting until the time felt right to quit. I only smoked six cigarettes yesterday compared to the one and a half to two packs I smoked each day before I started Chantix. This morning, I decided to just see how long I could go without having my first one of the day. Well, here it is midnight and I haven't had any today at all. So I guess instead of me picking my quit day, it picked me. At least the date will be easy to remember LOL.

Today was a lot easier than I expected. Sometimes, when I kept myself busy, hours would go by without me thinking about smoking. At other times, I really missed it, but could distract myself with gum or a tootsie roll pop or chewing on a straw and a few minutes later, I was fine.

I had major surgery in December and I knew I was going to be in the hospital for four or five days, so I tried to cut back in the weeks beforehand to make it easier on myself, but it was torture. I was constantly watching the clock, waiting until I could have another one. Today wasn't as bad as that time at all. I really think Chantix is amazing.

I've been lucky to only feel side effects on the days when I increased my dosage. By the next day, I was fine. I had some fogginess and slight nausea on those days, but none on the rest of the days. My only complaint is I haven't experienced one of the vivid dreams everyone says are so cool. My dreams are just normal.

Now that I've made it through my first day, I'm going to try to stay quit and join the other non-smokers on this board. Good luck to everyone here who is trying to break this habit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #2
(female)

lynxgal HB User
Re: I guess I just quit smoking

Yay! I am here cheering you on!!!! You can do it.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Another cheer post, Judy

Isn't it amazing how this stuff works? My date picked me, too. When I ran out of smokes, I figured, "Let's just see how good this med REALLY is." I thought to myself if I was going absolutely out of my mind (like I had with every single previous attempt), I'd simply give in and go get a pack. It just never happened. Like you, I was able to get through urges/cravings so easily.

It hasn't all been roses and pixie dust. There have definitely been some ups and downs for me since 5/22 when I smoked my last cig, but with every bump in the road, it's very clear that lighting up won't fix whatever bump I'm trying to get over. It's more a realization that smoking took up so much of my life and that I need to find new ways to cope.

Sorry you're not having the dreams. They didn't kick in for my mom until about a month on the med, and she had an awful nightmare! She said she only had one bad dream on Chantix total, which she was on the med for about two months. And I suppose if you're prone to bad dreams, the "vivid dreams" might become a real nasty side effect. 99 percent of the time, I have what you might could call normal dreams (weird, but not bad or super strange). I just could never remember them, and they "felt" like dreams. On Chantix, I could remember everything from my dreams and, goodness, they felt so real.

You can so do this, Judy!!! The first 72 hours off cigs are the worst according to the "experts." By now, you're well into a third of the way. Bravo!!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
(female)

raymae HB User

hi there what is Chantix ?
i have seen so many people mention it on this site but have no idea what it is.i am from england so im kinda thinking it may be something that is not on offer over here yet?
also when people on here are saying i pack or iand a half packs are they referring to a pack of 10 smokes being 1 pack or a pack of 20?
well done to you by the way and i hope you suceed in staying smoke free forever!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
(female)

Snorkelgal HB User

How are you doing Judy??? I hope wonderful....today is my first day without a smoke and I have been keeping busy....hope you are too!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
(female)

judy1172 HB User

Hey, Snorkelgirl! I'm hanging in there. It's seven o'clock here and I haven't smoked. Day Two is almost over! Glad to hear you are hanging in there, too.

Thanks to Stenolady, lynxgal, and raymae for the support, too. I appreciate it a lot!

Raymae, Chantix is a prescription pill that helps some people stop smoking. It blocks the nicotine from getting to your brain. You smoke for the first week or two while you are taking it until it builds up in your system. Then your cigarettes start to taste stale and nasty and they aren't satisfying anymore, which makes it easier to give them up. I know that for a couple days before I quit, I was only smoking five or six a day and not missing it at all. I don't know if it's available in London, but I hope it either is or will be soon because it does seem to help a lot of people.

In America, a pack is twenty smokes. I don't know about other countries. Do they have ten packs or twenty packs in England?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
(female)

judy1172 HB User

Okay, it is midnight of Day Two and I made it by the skin of my teeth. I had some pretty strong cravings this afternoon and some tightness in my chest (the kind I always got when I was stuck on a long flight and couldn't smoke for hours) but I toughed it out and didn't light up. Hopefully, I'll be able to sleep now and wake up strong for Day Three!

Good luck to Snorkelgirl and everyone else who is working on kicking this habit!! At least none of us are alone. My kids don't have a clue how huge a deal this is for me, but my husband (who is an ex-smoker) realizes and is being a great support.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #8
(female)

lynda50 HB User
Smile Re: I guess I just quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy1172 View Post
I've been on Chantix for ten days and was waiting until the time felt right to quit. I only smoked six cigarettes yesterday compared to the one and a half to two packs I smoked each day before I started Chantix. This morning, I decided to just see how long I could go without having my first one of the day. Well, here it is midnight and I haven't had any today at all. So I guess instead of me picking my quit day, it picked me. At least the date will be easy to remember LOL.

Today was a lot easier than I expected. Sometimes, when I kept myself busy, hours would go by without me thinking about smoking. At other times, I really missed it, but could distract myself with gum or a tootsie roll pop or chewing on a straw and a few minutes later, I was fine.

I had major surgery in December and I knew I was going to be in the hospital for four or five days, so I tried to cut back in the weeks beforehand to make it easier on myself, but it was torture. I was constantly watching the clock, waiting until I could have another one. Today wasn't as bad as that time at all. I really think Chantix is amazing.

I've been lucky to only feel side effects on the days when I increased my dosage. By the next day, I was fine. I had some fogginess and slight nausea on those days, but none on the rest of the days. My only complaint is I haven't experienced one of the vivid dreams everyone says are so cool. My dreams are just normal.

Now that I've made it through my first day, I'm going to try to stay quit and join the other non-smokers on this board. Good luck to everyone here who is trying to break this habit.

Closed Thread