It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
(female)

judy1172 HB User
Day Three, I got a virus

Yesterday was Day Three smokefree for me and I woke up with a wicked virus. My fever is between 102 and 103 and my whole body aches from head to toe. I'm either freezing or sweating and I am nauseous. I'm having trouble taking the Chantix because of the nausea and I want a cigarette bad, but so far, I have held strong and haven't had one. I'm also supposed to leave on a cruise on Friday and I don't know if I'll be well enough because I've heard that this is a virus that takes a week or two to clear up.

Sorry to be so whiny, but I was doing so well and now I feel just awful. Any words of wisdom?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: Day Three, I got a virus

Go to the doc if you haven't already. I feel bad for you especially since you are in a quit. Just put it in your head that the smoke is not going to help you in any way. You are in day 3 and that nicotine is mostly out of your system by now. Just go to sleep or something. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

Judy the same thing happened to me at least that's what my Dr says. I quit cold turkey and really felt like I was dying. Many of the symptoms you're describing are what I went through. It was for 7 days. I basically got inbto bed and didn't get out except to go to the bathroom. By day 7 I had to take a shower because I was so crunchy it was disgusting. But I lived so will you don't strat smokig again you'll really kick yourself for having to start all over again.

keep strong

Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

PixieJen HB User

A friend of mine has quit several times cold turkey and every time she quit she got sick. We think it is your body purging all the bad stuff and quitting smoking gave it that chance.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
(female)

Liz74 HB User

I got some kind of sinus infection or cold the day after I started the med so I was still smoking. I had congestion and nasty cough for my 'last hurrah' week. I still have some congestion and I'm not sure if my cough is still here or it's post smoking cough. So over 3 weeks and it's still not gone! It's going away slowly so I haven't been to the doctor, plus why combine meds unless it's really necessary?

Old 07-11-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
(female)

judy1172 HB User

Well today was Day Five and I'm still running a fever, but I haven't smoked. I couldn't take the Chantix last night or this morning because the nausea was too bad from the virus, but the cravings have been bearable even without it.

I don't think this is from quitting because my husband and daughter had the same miserable virus a couple of weeks ago, but I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow morning and I'll see what she says. I'm not coughing at all, just fever, chills, sweats, nausea, headache, bodyaches. Lots of fun!

Thanks for all the support!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
(female)

judy1172 HB User

Well, I've never done things the easy way, so I guess this is par for the course. It wasn't a virus, it was diverticulitis and for those of you who don't know how much fun that illness is, I recommend you never find out!! This was the nastiest week of my life and that's compared to giving birth four times and having abdominal surgery!

My fever finally came down today after six days of being between 102 and 103 and the nausea isn't as bad. I haven't taken Chantix in days because I couldn't eat anything and was vomiting, so adding Chantix to that didn't seem like a good plan. Even sick to my stomach and burning up with fever, I still wanted a cigarette most of the time, so that tells you just how powerful nicotine's hold can be.

But the good news is--I resisted and today is Day Nine smokefree for me!! Woo hoo!! I was finally able to eat some toast this morning and so I took my little blue pill to make sure I stay on the right path.

Happy smokefree Sunday to everyone else out there who is trying to quit!! Hope you have a good one!! Stay strong!!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
(female)

jeanusa HB User

Terrific Judy, It does have a strong hold on you but we just have to let it go. I hope your feeling much better because I think we all know what a virus can make you feel. Keep up your great quit and remember one moment at a time.

Have a great Sunday

Jean

I have been quit for 2 Months, 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 43 seconds (76 days). I have saved $486.28 by not smoking 1,531 cigarettes. I have saved 5 Days, 7 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/30/2007 12:00 AM.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
(female)

PixieJen HB User
Wink Re: Day Three, I got a virus

Judy. I'm glad you're feeling better.
Friday night I had some bad nausea, I was trying to sleep and I just started feeling like I was going to vomit, out of nowhere. The side effects are strange for me. They come and go and every time they come its something different.
Today is my 2nd smoke free day. I want a cigarette bad, but am able to resist as long as i keep myself busy. Plus I know If I do smoke I won't get anything from it.
Good luck to everyone.
Keep up the non-smoking.

Last edited by PixieJen; 07-15-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Closed Thread