It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

tenderhart HB User
Unhappy I knew about possibly feeling nauseated but weight gain???

I'm in my 3rd week, 6th day and the pill does take the edge off of the cravings, I went from a pack and ahalf a day to about 3-4 cigs a day, if the cigs are there, i will smoke them, not as much as i use to but i do and i'm a little disappointed because I thought by now I would done with smoking all together: (....I do have the nausea and the horrible headaches when I take it and I'm dealing with it but I'm GAINING WEIGHT, eeek, that I have a problem with!!!, has anyone else experienced this??...will it stop when I stop chantix??

thanx
tender : )

Last edited by tenderhart; 07-11-2007 at 09:32 AM.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
(female)

Liz74 HB User
Re: I knew about possibly feeling nausiated but weight gain???

I've been on it for 2.5 weeks and I haven't gained. A lot of people gain when they quit so maybe it's not the drug. Maybe it is. But I already was exercising and have noticed that my endurance started improving a couple days not smoking so I'm hoping that will lessen any gain if I do gain. I haven't been eating more though. Have you noticed if you're eating more? Try some exercise if you don't already do some, even just a walk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
(female)

jeanusa HB User

Hi Tenderheart, They say (and who are they?) after 3 months the bloating should stop and that is weight gain. I can't imagine what I would look like if I did not work out every day. Even doing that I feel like I am gaining weight. UGH
I HOPE THEY ARE RIGHT.LOL and I do this this is normal. Weight seems to be a big issue. No pun intended. Just bear with it for a while longer.

Good luck with you quit, you are doing it

Jean

Old 07-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Tenderheart,

Welcome,Ive been on chantix for 15 days,stopped smoking completly after day 3.

I have ate like you wouldn't beleive,taking the chantix and steroids and have only gained 4 pounds.I'd really like to gain about 12.

Your doing it,you've cut back drastically thats great.

The research I've done they say the average weight gain is 22 pounds.

Many that have quit smoking start walking or do low impact exercises.

I have many friends that have quit smoking they gained weight but lost it after a few months of not smoking.

Keep in mind,with not smoking we are satisfying our cravings with food,probably not the right foods.but once we have reached our goals of being permanant non-smokers we can work on eating healthier and getting that exercise.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
(female)

tenderhart HB User

Hey Nuffs3,
Thanx for the support and the reply, I am sticking with it but I hope ur right about losing after a while cause I do exercise and eat healthy but its not going no where!!...I have also recently left a very physical job for a sit down job, so that may have something to do with it, its just temparary tho, so maybe after everything balances out, so won't the weight!!...thanx again

Old 07-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
(female)

tenderhart HB User

Hey Jean,
Thanx for the support, yea I'm sticking with it but between the nausea, the headaches and now the weight, im wondering if smoking is a better alternative, lol...joke!!!.....I think I may just have to put on a few pounds during the whole process and after I'm a full blown non-smoker, just work my butt off to shed those pounds off..... good luck to you also....tender: )

Old 07-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
(female)

tenderhart HB User

Hey Liz,
Thanx for the reply and congrats to you on no weight gain. Yea, i do the whole exercise thing and eating right but it doesn't seem to be working. I think I will just have to suffer thru it until I'm a full blown non-smoker, let everything balance out and just work my butt off on shedding the pounds i gained.....keep up the good work....tender

Old 07-12-2007, 04:46 AM   #8
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: I knew about possibly feeling nauseated but weight gain???

I have read just quitting smoking can bring a gain of about 15lbs pretty quickly. Turns out your body is doing all this adjustment when nicotine leaves the body. Metabolism and a whole slew of other things. The info is out there. Be patient and know what is happening during your detox of nicotine and related poisons. I also read it would take a 100lb gain to equal the damage that just one pack of cigarettes does to the body. Embrace the gain for just a short while and then know you can handle lossing a few pounds during your quit as it is not harder than quitting cigarettes. Good Luck to All!!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
(female)

PixieJen HB User

I was just reading the paper that the pharmacist gave me about Chantix and it says " Check with your doctor as soon as possible if you experience unusual tiredness or weakness, vision changes, weight gain, difficulty concentrating, dizziness or joint muscle pain..." Then it goes on to say when you should contact your doctor immediately. So I would say, just to be safe, maybe you should call your doctor's office.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
(female)

Liz74 HB User

I saw the doc for tiredness, dizziness, and difficulty concentrating before I quit so I guess mine doesn't qualify as "unusual."

Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
(female)

Reyne HB User

I quit cold turkey and packed on the pounds fast..felt like a was going to blow!!! Most of it is water. Hang in there give yourself the freedom to gain a few!!!

I am almost quit 1 yr and finally lost the 15lbs I gained in 1 month when I quit.

You have to quit sometime, get the withdrawls over with and do not look back!!! Start walking, jogging anything. Hey you can breath now clear out those lungs and run!!!!!!!!!!!

Good for you!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

If I went to one of my Drs with the symptoms of fatigue,dizziness,fatigue,visual change they say whats new.
I have noticed some mild joint pain,but that could be from going to the fitness center or physical therapy.

Its a small discomfort to pay for clearer lungs and being smoke free for almost 2 weeks.Thats a milestone.

Every med has some residual side effect and the weight gain is normal for the majority when guitting smoking.A few pounds and clearer lungs or same weight with poor lungs and an expensive habbit.I guess we each have to out weigh what we want.

Reyne congrats,
I'm looking forward to saying its been one month.A year thats great.God I wish I could run.I wear leg braces,I can't run distances in them,but I have started to jog in place,I don't get anywhere but what an awesome feeling to be able to suck the air into the bottom of the lungs.

Closed Thread