It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User
Started Chantix today

I had quit in February for 3 months after taking chantix for 5 days I decided to cold turkey. However, at the time I was going through anxiety and panic attacks and quitting added to the attacks, I started back up in May, I am now on meds for that and started chantix again today this time I am going to keep taking the chantix and not cold turkey, wish me allot of luck I firmly have faith that this time will be the last time.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
(female)

Reyne HB User
Re: Started Chantix today

Good luck!! Do not be afraid to ask your Dr for help..if you need it. And ask for support if you need it also!!

Take it day by day! No smokes for today think about tomorrow when it comes.

You can do this!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

ariel7 HB User

Hi Hotdam,
I just started taking Chantix today too. Good luck to you -- I hope we can win this battle this time!

I have a question for the vets on this site: On a scale of 1-10, how hard is it for you to NOT smoke when you get the urge during the first month or two? When I quit cold turkey it was a 10 (or more) and I resisted the urges for awhile but after a month I gave in. When I took Wellbutrin it was better, but I lost that battle too. I really want to succeed this time, so it might help to prepare myself for what is coming. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Well I am still smoking but not much today, I have set a quit date, the last time I took the chantix I had taken it for 5 days and then totaly quit.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #5
(female)

ariel7 HB User

Are you trying to quit before the week on Chantix, Hotdam? I think I'm going to see if my desire to smoke decreases over the week, that way I might not be so obsessed with trying to quit and then becoming frustrated.

Does anyone have experience with Chatrix and know whether it's better to try to cut down or quit before a week of taking it?

Old 07-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Ariel7, I have cut way down on taking chantix than gave my self a quit date, so in my case it had taken 5 days before I stopped completely but it may be different for you, just shoot for the quit date.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I started the chantix and quit on day 4.The med alone can't do it,it has to be the desire.

I had tried other methods and didn't succeed.I have been smoke free for 13 days and have along way to go,but I have the desire at this point.

Stress is gonna be in our lives if we smoke or not.If ya need help with anxiety and stress I encourage everyone get the help.

Nicotine withdrawl is hard and even though nicotine isn't a narcotic or alcohol ,we are still addicted to it.We will probably all have urges the rest of our lives.But they say it gets easier as time goes on.

Take one day at a time,find a hobby,go for walks and remember treat yourself to something special.

Goodluck to you all.you can do it.There's many here to support you.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hotdam, best of luck to you! Just believe that this IS your quit. The last time was just a practice run. You are now aware of where your weaknesses lie, and you are much better prepared now to deal with them. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Ariel, best of luck to you, too!!! I started Chantix on 5/7, quit smoking on 5/22 and quit Chantix right around 6/22. To answer a few of your questions, I naturally decreased my smoking in the two weeks I smoked while on Chantix. It took me two weeks before I felt "ready." Everyone is different. The smokes just tasted bad to me and I was smoking more out of habit than anything.

I, too, had tried in the past with other aids. My cravings with every other quit ranged between a seven and a ten on your scale. Then depression set in after I'd been quit a few weeks. I'd start back smoking. With Chantix, my cravings range between a one and a five. And I don't even know that I'd call them "cravings," at least the way they'd felt with other quit attempts. More like a feeling of, "I should be smoking right now," not, "I'm going to kill someone for a cigarette."

I find with Chantix that I'm able to really concentrate on (and enjoy!) the benefits of being quit, on healing all the damage I've done to my body over the years instead of freaking out because I can't have a smoke.

It's just a really different feeling.

And I'm off the med now and still feel the same way about smoking and craves as I did on the med. Every day gets a little easier

Happy Friday, Ladies.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Stenolady, your right it is more out of habit, I am on day 2 of chantix and feel the difference already, I would go outside light up take a couple drags than put it out, the taste is different and the craving is different. within a couple of weeks I will be smoke free again for the last time.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #10
(female)

jeanusa HB User

Good luck to you Hotdam, sounds like you really are ready for this I know I am.

Keep posting would like to hear how you are doing.

Jean

I have been quit for 2 Months, 1 Week, 6 Days, 17 hours, 33 minutes and 27 seconds (74 days). I have saved $474.54 by not smoking 1,494 cigarettes. I have saved 5 Days, 4 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/30/2007 12:00 AM.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #11
(female)

ariel7 HB User

Thanks for the info and advice -- I appreciate it! I'm on day 4 and am still smoking -- not as much though. I am hoping the Chantix will take effect like others say it has for them.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #12
(female)

ariel7 HB User

How are you doing with quitting, Hotdam? I hope well!
Ariel

Old 07-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Im still smoking but not as much, I need to be able to just quit but I am working on it. How are you doing?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #14
(female)

ariel7 HB User

I'm on day 5, Hotdam. Still smoking, but not as much. I don't think the Chantix has totally kicked in yet. I really hope it does soon, though.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Ariel, yeah your right I think it may take a little longer before it kicks in but it does seem to take the edge off as far as wanting a cigarette all the time. Let me know you do.

Closed Thread