It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User
Taking Chantix, have a few questions

Hello all. I am on day 5 of taking Chantix and am supposed to quit in a few days. I have a question about when cigarettes are going to start becoming unappealing. I have read and heard so many different people describe either them tasting bad or just not getting anything out of them. So, my question is, is this going to be a dramatic difference? Will i just not want a cigarette? Also, about when did this happen for you all? I know this is going to be hard work and I'm not expecting a magic pill, but I was hoping that this would help.
I've smoked for about 15 years and am 32. I smoke a pack or so a day. My younger sister has been diagnosed with COPD, although a new doctor changed that to something a little less severe. Regardless, this is serious and my mom and I are both quitting smoking to support my sister. I am also quitting in part for my son, who HATES that I smoke and even though I do it outside, it really bothers him.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

judy1172 HB User
Re: Taking Chantix, have a few questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLover74 View Post
Hello all. I am on day 5 of taking Chantix and am supposed to quit in a few days. I have a question about when cigarettes are going to start becoming unappealing. I have read and heard so many different people describe either them tasting bad or just not getting anything out of them. So, my question is, is this going to be a dramatic difference? Will i just not want a cigarette? Also, about when did this happen for you all? I know this is going to be hard work and I'm not expecting a magic pill, but I was hoping that this would help.
I've smoked for about 15 years and am 32. I smoke a pack or so a day. My younger sister has been diagnosed with COPD, although a new doctor changed that to something a little less severe. Regardless, this is serious and my mom and I are both quitting smoking to support my sister. I am also quitting in part for my son, who HATES that I smoke and even though I do it outside, it really bothers him.
I think for every person it's different. I had read enough blogs and message boards to know that some people wait until ten days or twelve days or whatever to quit and that's what I did. I figured eventually the Chantix was going to kick in and make me less interested in smoking and why quit before it had a chance to do it's work. So I kept smoking until one day I thought, "Oh, I have to pick up smokes on the way home," but when I looked in the pack, there were more there than I expected. So just for the heck of it, the next morning I wrote how many were in the pack on the outside and then smoked when I wanted all day and at the end of the day, I counted and I was smoking much less than usual without realizing it. Every day I smoked a few less and I started thinking, "Do I really need one right now? Nah," and I would wait.

By the time I got to Day Ten, the smokes tasted stale and there was no more satisfaction to smoking one then there was to sucking air through a straw. So the next morning, I decided to see how long I could go until I had my first one of the day and by midnight, I still hadn't had one. Haven't had one since either and it's been ten days.

My advice would be to not pick a quit date yet and just see if your smoking tapers off over the next few days. When you realize you aren't getting any satisfaction from the smokes and they taste kind of yucky to boot, you can pick the date that works for you personally. Why suffer through the process on Day Seven if the Chantix is going to kick in on Day Ten and make things a lot easier for you. It seems to kick in a little later for some people and I was one of them. You might be, too.

Best of luck on your quit. You can do it!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

velveeta HB User

Good answer Judy!! Let the day pick you. You already have the mind set needed. It is not a magic pill and it is up to each individual. One day at a time. It is my opinion that Chantix makes the quit a bit easier but you have to want to quit and stay quit. I am 4 months quit and loving every minute of it. Good luck to you and keep us informed with your progress.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I agree with Judy,let the day pick you,you will know.
For me I started chantix and come day 4 I didn't smoke.I think it works for each of us differently.Your on a good positive start you and your mother.I think its awesome that your doing this in supporting your sister.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User

Thanks everyone for responding. That makes me feel so much better. I was beginning to think that I was just trying to put it off but I really am going to quit. I have to and I want to. I did notice that I smoked a lot less yesterday - especially last night. I talked to my mom this morning and told her about all the stuff I've read on this board and how not everyone quits on the 8th day. Tomorrow is supposed to be her quit day and she said she hasn't noticed much of a difference yet. I told her that after reading all the posts yesterday, it's not uncommon to wait a little longer. So thank you all. I'll keep posting - this is great.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #6
(female)

Shellb184 HB User

Congrats on your decision. I used Chantix to quit smoking. I haven't touched a cigarette since May 24th and I was smoking almost 2 packs a day for about 10 years. My decision to quit was for my husband who was diagnosed with Apical Bullous Disease. I had started smoking when I was 10 and had tried everything from gum to patches to Wellbutrin. Nothing worked for me. I am trying to get my mom to get on it to help her quit.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User

Congrats on your quit Shellb184. It's so cool to hear about all these people who take chantix and then influence someone else to take chantix. I hope you can get your mom to take it. I know it's 99% willpower and self-determination, but I think for me, the Chantix is what helped most with this quit. I have tried to use wellbutrin also, and it didn't not help. My mom and I are both smokefree. I haven't smoked since July 18 and it feels so good.

Closed Thread