It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

lucall HB User
Does quitting smoking cause stomach bloatiness???

Hi I was just wondering why my stomach started blowing up like a jellyfish after quitting smoking for 4 months. I have only gained 3lbs. so I know it is not from that. Anyone else have issues with this or why does it do this? driving me insane..

Old 07-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
(female)

jeanusa HB User
Re: Does quitting smoking cause stomach bloatiness???

Lucall, One word "ABSOLUTELY" It was driving me crazy. I starting working out more when I stopped smoking and I said to myself that I can't possibly be gaining this much weight. A nurse told me to drink more water than I was because it will eventually release from your body. I feel better but I still have more water weight to lose. Thanks for posting that today because now I know it is a sympton of not smoking.

Keep up your quit.

Jean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User

Is it from chantix? I have MAJOR bloating - i'm only on day 9 of chantix and day 2 with no cigs. I've had the bloating since I started the chantix. My stomach is pretty big - it looks like I'm pregnant. And everytime I eat even a little snack, I blow up even bigger. It's worth it to me to continue on the chantix but hopefully this will go away soon. I need to increase my water even more I guess.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
(female)

lucall HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLover74 View Post
Is it from chantix? I have MAJOR bloating - i'm only on day 9 of chantix and day 2 with no cigs. I've had the bloating since I started the chantix. My stomach is pretty big - it looks like I'm pregnant. And everytime I eat even a little snack, I blow up even bigger. It's worth it to me to continue on the chantix but hopefully this will go away soon. I need to increase my water even more I guess.
From Lucall: I am not on chantix.. So I am still not sure what causes this.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

Liz74 HB User

I was bloated/puffy for a few months before quitting and it's not getting better. I'm on chantix and I think it's become a little worse in the last week (I've been taking it for over 3, quit for over 2). I'm the same with eating a little snack though- POOF! A glass of water will make hunger go away for 3 hours. I always drink lots of water, a cup or 2 with each meal (more at dinner, and my meals are getting pretty small) and sip throughout the day. I could probably go 12-24 hours without eating because I feel so huge although sometimes my stomach will growl even though I look almost pregnant (which is not possible). The day I got the chantix prescription is the day I was back at the doctor for the 2nd time for the bloating and still no answer. I'm sick of it! I'm currently taking some gasX (not helping) so if it doesn't magically go away I can say I tried it.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
(female)

Reyne HB User

I did not use Chantix but I bloated. My body just blew up and about the 3 month mark.

It took my body about 6 months to get back to normal. I still have some weight to loose but hey...I am a non smoker!!!

Hang in there. Your body is going through alot of changes. Not sure how long you smoked for but I smoked 25yrs. All those chemicals, toxins your body and mind is going through adjustments.

Good for you on being a quitter!!

Old 07-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Reyne,

Thanks for the info.

I have heard that when some people stop smoking that underlying conditions do surface.

I have been smoke free for 21 days and I am on chantix.On the chantix I have increased indigestion more so than previous,But well worth it.

I have no intentions on giving up those 21 smoke free days.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:22 AM   #8
(female)

Reyne HB User

Good for you Nuff!!! That is what keeps me from ever touching a cig again...I never want to deal with withdrawls and my body changing.

It takes awhile but it is all worth it!! I no longer hack, cough, wheeze. I can take a deep breath, smell there are so many benefits.

I just have to keep remember that nicotine is a drug. It tricks your body and mind to think you cannot live with out it.

It could be the chantix or it could be your body detoxing. It does get better!!! Keep us posted on your quit!!!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Reyne ,

You're correct I never want to start this process over.

I have MS,so anythings possible.I should of quit smoking back in March when I was in the hospital for 5 days,no one suggested chantix,I only learned of it from these boards.

Smoking for 23 years,I never developed a smokers cough,weezing or that.But I did have my bouts with bronchitus and pnemonia.I want this winter to be different.

The only difficult I have found is my lungs hurt to fully expand,but heck its been 23 years and practically 2 packs a day.They need to heal.

Nicotine is addicting and I must say I'm addicted to it and always will be.

The chantix I'm only taking a half a pill a day now and it has really cut down on the indigestion.And the joint pain I experienced after I started the chantix has lessoned also.But these are temporary symptoms,to a life of being nicotine free.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
(female)

PixieJen HB User

Ugh! The bloating. its crazy, I've been doing weight loss excersies for a month but i've gained 3 pounds in 2 and a half weeks, and my stomach looks like i'm in the early stages of pregnancy. I know this is the Chantix, why else would i bloat up? I can tell what the side effects from nicotene withdrawl are, those are mostly irritability, but even that gets worse after i take my pill. I really want to go off the chantix but i know the cravings will be worse and the temptation will become greater. I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and I'm going to look pregnant on the beach. This sucks.

Closed Thread