It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
(female)

Fibrana HB User
Back again!

Hi everyone,

Well, I must confess that after 8-9 weeks of quitting, I started again to have a few everyday after my dad became ill. I couldn't take the stress and bought a pack. Tried to keep it to a few a day on work days, but had more on the weekends.

Anyway, on Sunday I threw my cigarettes away and haven't had one since (3 days now). I just PHYSICALLY cannot smoke, even though I want to. Lots of stress at work also. Every drag hurt my throat and burned my lungs. It was actually painful to smoke. I knew I had to get rid of them. If they were around, I would smoke even though it was painful.

My tonsils and throat are all inflamed again and sore. This is one of the reasons I quit in the first place. After all those weeks of quitting, my voice was getting so much better and the inflamed tonsils had gone away. Now I'm back to square one and feeling awful. I'm so worried about my health.

I'm using half of a 21 mg patch and using the odd nicotine gum. Withdrawal is not so bad this time, probably because I'm so worried about my health and know that I can't smoke.

Just an update for everyone on where I've been and what's going on. Maybe this can inspire someone not to light up and relapse. It's not worth it, trust me.

Good luck to everyone on their quit.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Back again!

Your getting past the hard part once again.

Keep in mind we all have stress from every day life and then there's days that we get a whole lot more stress.Cigarettes do not take care of the stress.When your done with the cig the stress is still there.

You've done it before,just remember why you stopped in the first place.

Be strong!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

hi i was the same so if you read my posts you will see what caused me to smoke again i have stopped again and had only been back on them 2 days but i felt i had let myself down

Old 07-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks for your replies. Finally, after 4 days quit, my throat is feeling better. I just don't want to get feeling so much better that I forget how awful it was smoking. My body can't tolerate smoking anymore and I have to remember this.

I know stress is a part of everyday life, but sometimes the stress can be overwhelming if you get a few things happen all at once, or a close family member is ill/dying. Guess we just have to tough it out and be strong.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hang tough,

You can do it.Yes,stress is part of a our daily life and somedays is worse than others.

Just keep in the back of your mind why you quit to begin with.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:40 AM   #6
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Right. I just have to keep remembering how inflamed my tonsils get every time I smoke, how sore my throat is, and that every inhalation felt like fire going into my lungs. Honest, that's how bad it was. I used to be able to smoke with basically no problems. Now, it's caught up to me and is telling me I can't smoke anymore. Darnit! I even WANT to smoke because of stress right now, but can't. Now, after going through withdrawal once again, I don't want to start.

I sure hope it can stick this time!

Good luck to all.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #7
(female)

Skimmer HB User

Fibrana:

You can do this, just remember what you did before. Quitting is the best thing for you, you made it for 9 weeks before, you can do it again. Just put your mind to it.

Today I am 22 weeks quit, which is almost 6 months! I don't even think about smoking anymore, and when people come in my office who DO smoke, they REEK!!!

I feel so much healthier now, and can breathe deep, and don't have to worry about going out with friends and hiding my smokes, and the cravings......it's a joy to be smoke-free...

Congratulations to all you non-smokers who have conquered the nico-demon!!

Skimmer

Old 07-27-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
(female)

Fibrana HB User

Thanks Skimmer! Wow, I'd love to be able to NOT think about smoking! LOL
You are a big incentive. I just have to stick it out until it feels "normal" not to smoke.

Congrats to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:17 AM   #9
(female)

velveeta HB User

Fibrana, Once you are off the nicotine replacement and gone thru withdrawal you will get stronger in your quit. Nicotine is a powerful drug but your mind is stronger. This is the longest I have stayed quit and I have tried everything! It is true that Chantix aided me early on in my quit but I have been off that since May 6th. Maybe this time is the right time.. for you! Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #10
(female)

velveeta HB User

Big Shout out to SKIMMER on almost 6 months!! I know you are loving life and yourself about now cuz I am 2 . I am right behind you and life is grand!! I did it for me this time and taking it one day at a time too. These are the secrets. Much more sucess in your quit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Skimmer,
Thats great 6 months,I just hit 4 weeks.This time I done it for me and that makes the difference.One day at a time is all we can do.

The one thing I have noticed is that I now can take a deep breath and I can get air all the way to the bottom of my lungs .Its a great feeling.

When my daughter gets a pass home from the Navy I would like to jog one lap around the track with her.She doesn't know I quit I will tell her at Boot camp graduation in 4 weeks.She always wanted me to quit,I quit when she left for the navy.

Fibrana,

You can do this!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
(female)

joann1010 HB User

Hi! I'm brand new to this board and brand new to Chantix. I too smoke due to stress. The Chantix helped me to from 2 packs a day to 5 a day. Next monday is my quit date. I was worried that daily stress would send me right back to cigarettes (Mom with Alzheimer's, idiotic job, etc.) so my doc gave me a prescription for Xanax(spelling?). It works wonders with the Chantix. I know that taking more meds may be unappealing, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Just my 2 cents....

Old 08-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Joann,

Welcome to our forum.

You are correct when you stated that ya gotta do what ya gotta do.I take valuim and ativan,similiar to zanax.

The valuim I have been on for sometime for muscle spasms and the ativan is used to help me sleep.But in combination with the chantix I do think the transition has been easier.

Others have taken anti-anxiety meds to cope with being a non-smoker,while taking chantix.

Stay strong and involved with this forum it definatly adds support for this journey.(I'm 40 days smoke free)

Closed Thread