It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
(female)

tjewell23 HB User
Chantix Continued....

So today is my 1 week mark.In 18 minutes, it will have been exactly 1 week that I put out my last cigarette. This weekend was definately the hardest I have gone through so far...I am going to start going to the gym tomorrow and I went to the grocery and got a bunch of healthy food...Hopefully I can keep this up!

Old 07-30-2007, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Chantix Continued....

Awesome on one week, TJ!

Weekends and evenings after work are the hardest for me, too. I think it's the relaxing times.

Good job on the healthy foods & gym

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
(female)

ariel7 HB User

CONGRATS TJ! I'm one week smoke-free now too. It feels like an accomplishment, though I know there are more trials in the future. When in doubt, we could prep up the cleanest and shiniest cars in town, like Mekales! Days two and four have been the hardest for me so far, Mekales. I don't know why out of the blue an intense craving will take over, especially when the Chantix seems to do such a good job of making the cravings fairly mellow most of the time. But maybe those rare times are a reminder of what it would have been like without the medicine -- 24/7. Anyway, you did it and I'm proud of you. I bet your doggies are too. (I knew you were kidding about the cats!)

Keep up the great work, everyone!
Ariel

Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
(female)

tjewell23 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Chantix Continued....

SL - Thanks for the support! While it is barely a landmark, it is a stone on my way to the big finish and is a huge deal for me!

Ariel, YAY WE DID IT!! The one week mark is very signifigant for me as goofy as it seems to some...You just dont realize it until you are the one trying to make it I guess.. I think my hardest Days 4-6 were the hardest for me I think, yesterday was easier than it had been...I start my gym today I have found I am becoming quite lazy...If I watch TV I either eat or fall asleep---What do non smokers do in front of the tv set???? My friend came over last night and he lit one up in the house and I almost gagged..The smell was overwhelming....Who knew??? And I forgot to take my med yesterday! And I still made it with no real craving..Hopefully, your cravings are dwindling also.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
(female)

ariel7 HB User

Well, maybe it's not the Alamo, TJ, but one week is a huge landmark for brand new non-smokers. Especially if you've been smoking a long time. Think of all the minutes, hours, days, weeks, years of habit to break. I know you know this, and know how tough it is at some moments to win over the cravings for an old (and once seemingly enjoyable) habit. You are doing just great -- keep it up!!!

How are you doing Mekales?

I had a real grouch day (my first -- but I made up for not having one sooner) on day 6 (two days ago). My husband gave me this funny look, then I think he might have realized it was from giving up smoking. Grrrrr. But I feel pretty good today. Just not sleeping great and so am kind of tired some of the time during the day.

Keep up setting the standard, Stenolady and Nuffs.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Congrats to all ya one weekers of being non-smokers.

I found going the gym was the best thing for me,seemed pointless to workout and still be smoking.

Evenings I have found to be not so bad,its around 3 in the afternoon.So now thats nap time.

My nephew was in on Sat. eve and he smoked 2 cigs,he wasn't gonna smoke in the house,I told him it was okay,it was his home to.Long story short he lived with me for 5 years.And boy did it stink,but air freshner worked.

All keep up the good work,just be stronger than the urge.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User

One week is a very big deal - I'm on day 12 and it feels like the last 12 days have been the longest journey ever. I went to a party saturday night and surprisingly it wasn't a big deal to not smoke. I was so nervous before I went. I found myself telling everyone there, "I quit smoking, i'm on day 10" blah blah on and on I went. I think they probably all thought I was a moron and wasn't very good at party conversation, but that's ok. Saturday and Sunday were both grouch days for me though. It's "that time" when I am a sort of a grouch every month, but this time it was WAYYY more intense. I wanted to literally rip people's limbs off and scream and cuss at them - it wasn't constant but it was still intense. I'm sure it will be better next month though. I've been trying to work out more too. It definitely is easier being a non-smoker.
Mekales, about what you asked earlier, I have a tendency to have problems in that area anyway and I take fiber pills. I take a half a pill every night - I've done it for years. Since I quit smoking though, I've also made myself eat a salad every day. The roughage really helps. I've also been trying to eat quite a bit of apples and bran and stuff like that. Surprisingly, I've not really had any problems in that area since I quit.
Everyone is doing so well - I'm proud of you!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
(female)

ariel7 HB User

Beachlover,
Day 12 -- wow -- you are almost at 2 f. weeks in the pink -- WOWOWOWOW!

You and I started on the med about the same time, but you gave up the cigs right at day 8, I think, and I procrastinated a bit. I missed a couple of days of pills, I didn't feel ready, etc. Actually, after a few more days on chantix I did feel like quitting, but I already had! So, I think the pros who tell us that we will know when the time is right have gotten it right. (Damn, I could have smoked for two more days..... but oh well, I am smoke-free for two more days -- and so closer to feeling confident about myself and who's in control of MY life).

How's your mom doing? How do you feel after the tough days? You're in sunny southern California, is that right? Does anyone smoke there these days besides serious drug users? I mean, it must be hard to be a CIGARETTE smoker on the Beach! Which Beach are you on -- or like to go to? I used to live in southern Cal years ago.

Ariel

Old 07-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User

ariel - No I WISH I was in sunny california. I love to go to ANY beach, but I am landlocked in Springfield, MO. Springfield is a great town, but I love the beach. I don't know about smoking in california - I do think they have pretty tough laws. Here in the Ozarks, although there are laws banning smoking in restaurants, there are still a lot of smokers around.
I find myself thinking sometimes that I could have smoked a few more days but I'm glad I quit when I did. I just needed to hurry up and do it.
As tough as the tough days are for me, I still feel like nothing can make me smoke right now. Like you said, I think I'm starting to get control of my life - slowly but surely. I had no idea I could feel like this. I was just sure that I would be miserable and wouldn't be able to do this. It does kind of surprise me how I can do so well for a few days, then I'll have a terrible afternoon of almost constant cravings. But it always passes. I just tell myself to make it through til bedtime then I'll wake up and it will be better. It feels good to be able to do that. I've also found that I don't think about cigs quite as much with each day that passes. I wake up now and think about making coffee but not about how I want a cig. It's pretty cool.
My mom is on day 13 and she's doing great. That amazes me too. If we talk about it, she always says "it's just not an option," so I guess that's part of how she's doing this. Smoking is just not an option.
It's going to feel so weird to be quit for a month, which isn't that far off. Each day seems monumental to me.
so the sleeping at night isn't getting any better for you? There are some nights when I've woken up several times but other nights I sleep the whole night. If I do wake, I'm usually able to fall right back asleep. Is it dreams waking you up? I think my dreams are what wake me up most of the time. Either that or I have to go to the bathroom, which I never used to do.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
(female)

ariel7 HB User

Hey Beachlover,
Well, you're going to be able to afford a trip to San Diego or even Maui next year, after all you've saved from not smoking!

I love the water. We are on a lake for the summer in the northeast US, and it is bliss. But in not too long, back to Philly. Which is nice, but it's not lakes and mountains, which is what I love best. But Philly has potential and, oh well, guess I have to work and make a living.

I think you should plan a trip this winter to the place (with water) that you really love. Go for it! If you are good friends and have fun together, take your mom.

It's good to hear from you. You are in the category that, from my perspective, is beyond rookie, but short of pro. I wonder if, in some sense, this is the toughest stage of it all. Is it? Or no?

If it is at all tough, stay with us. We're a pretty good team.

Love you all!
Ariel

Old 07-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User

I don't know what the toughest stage is. I think there will be tough moments at all the stages - I think surely in a year it will be a cinch. But then I read how people still have cravings at a year quit.
My mom and I actually went to the beach in florida together a week before we quit smoking - it was great. One last smoking trip! hah!
I plan on staying with you guys - you all help me so much. You guys who are newly quit like me and also the pros who have been quit for a lot longer. I really do think of you guys when i have a craving. it's great to have a support system to go to anytime. keep up the good work!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #12
(female)

MPSunshine777 HB User

Hey guys!
Day 6 smoke-free!!!! The weekend was tough. First weekend without a smoke. Had a hard time with it, but made it through. I used to smoke more on the weekends than during the week. I've been sleeping well, actually enjoying the crazy dreams. But, I am very cranky. Is anyone else in a really bad mood? I mean, BAD mood?

Ariel7- What part of Philly are you in? I was born & raised in South Philly and miss it so much. Specially the food! I hate living in the middle of a desert.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Old 07-31-2007, 02:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

MP,

I still get real cranky and its been 32 days of not smoking,it goes with the territory,it lessons.Count to ten,eat chocolate or just taking a nap helps.

It honestly gets easier.

Beachlover day 12 you're almost to the 2 week point point awesome.

Ariel7 keep up the good work.

All keep in mind chantix is only part of the solution,your will power and the want is the other part.I think the want is more powerful than the chantix.

You guys are doing an awesome job,keep going strong and one day at a time.Just think how much healthier we are getting and the money we are saving.

I have even gained a few pounds that I depsperatly needed.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #14
(female)

ariel7 HB User

Day Nine and doing fine! How bout all of you? Keep on keeping on!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:09 AM   #15
(female)

tjewell23 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Chantix Continued....

Day10 and still going! I really cant believe that I have made it this far! Ariel, congrats we are on the double digits now....Everyone on here has come so far and I am so proud of all of us...~

Closed Thread