It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

LovingLife HB User
5th Day into my quit~my story(long)

Well, I never thought I'd quit; it always scared me to death. I'm 50, and I have been a steady 1-2 pack/day smoker since I was 15. I am overweight, have high blood pressure(on medication), high cholesterol, and a family history of heart disease, so I figured it was time. I have 4 grown children, and 9 grandchildren. I have been married to my best friend for 31 years.

I've been thinking about quitting seriously for a few years. I would always chicken out when I got down to the last few cigarettes in my last pack and buy more. I never even let myself run of of smokes to try. All I knew is that I was scared to death.

I am also on meds for severe panic disorder, clinical depression, and generalized anxiety disorder. My doc didn't want me doing any patches or supplements because my symptoms are doing really well on my current med plan. I read about quitting for months so I'd know what to expect, and I wasn't looking forward to quitting. I figured "I'd try quitting". I know, a bad attitude for succes.

Well, 5 days ago, I said a quick prayer, and I let myself run out of cigarettes to "try" quitting. I have had thoughts about having a smoke, but it passes quickly. I really have not had any "cravings", and my appetite/snacking hasn't increased. It's 5 days later, and I really don't feel like smoking. I am not desperate, nor am I b*tchy, according to DH. I know I will never smoke again. I can't even picture myself smoking a cigarette.

I was ready to face a torturous withdrawal, but it never came. I honestly don't know why it's going so smoothly for me, because I was prepared for it to be really hard.

Maybe some of you will think I am naive, being so early into my quit, but I am sooo proud of myself. It's almost like a drug high. I feel like I can do anything. I am sure that this feeling will spill over into other areas of my life.

I AM A NON-SMOKER!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
(female)

MPSunshine777 HB User
Re: 5th Day into my quit~my story(long)

High Five!!! That's so awesome!
Did you just quit cold turkey? The first time I "tried" to quit I did it cold turkey. Actually, I prayed alot. It was easy for me too. I thought it was quite odd. However, about a month later I started smoking again, here and there at first, then back into a full blown smoker. The second time I tried to quit was extremely hard!!! Now, this is my third time, (using Chantix) and I feel like this is it! I'm really enjoying being smoke free (today is day 7) and I feel I will continue to be smoke free for good.
I have been moody and eating more chocolate but hey, I'm not smoking so that's good. Keep up the good work and keep praying if you need to. Sounds like you're doing really well!

Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
(female)

LovingLife HB User

Yep, cold turkey. I just know that if I started smoking again that I'd lose this good feeling I have. I'm very excited about being smoke free. I just know I'll never smoke again. I also wish you the best.

My new motto: N.O.P.E. Not One Puff Ever

Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
(female)

jeanusa HB User

That was such a great post. Keep it up. Let me say a day is a milestone and you have made it five great job. I also take meds for anxiety and I find that after I quit smoking I feel calmer. Go figure....... I am very proud of your decision and keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

Welcome aboard it will be a bumpy ride but we will get thru it.

Jean

I have been quit for 3 Months, 1 Day, 19 hours, 16 minutes and 3 seconds (92 days). I have saved $589.29 by not smoking 1,856 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 10 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/30/2007 12:00 AM.

Closed Thread