It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

janetJ HB UserjanetJ HB User
stopping the desire

When you do stop wanting to smoke.
I am on Chantix. This is the second day I have not had a cigarette, but I want one. I don't need one, I'd guess thanks to the Chantix, but I sure want one. When does the wanting stop?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: stopping the desire

I've been smoke-free since 5/22, off Chantix since 6/22, and I still "want" a smoke. I've chatted with people that have been quit for years, and occasionally they still want to smoke.

Please don't be discouraged by this. I wanted to smoke a lot those first few days, and the desire does seem to change. I might not go away, but it does at least change.

The first week or two, I wanted a smoke, yes (without a doubt!), but I didn't want to screw up my quit more.

As time went on, I still wanted a smoke, yes (albeit with less frequency), but I remembered those first weeks and the desire to NEVER have to go through that again was much stronger than my desire at that time to smoke.

It sort of reminds me of thrill rides at an amusement park. I see that huge roller coaster going, it sounds so awesome rushing by, but I know how sick it will make me. It will ruin my day (or even vacation if that's where I am). I'd sure like to go on it, but my brain kicks in and tells me, "You're going to really screw up if you do that." And I don't <sigh>.

Hope this makes sense.

Congrats to you for making such a wonderful decision. I promise it does get better every day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: stopping the desire

Great analogy stenolady about the roller coaster! I will remember that. That is exactly how it is in the beginning. At just about 5 months quit, it is not so much of want as it is a passing thought.It does get better!!

Closed Thread