It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

BrideToBe78 HB User
Question I'm fixing to start Chantix; any advice?

Hey all! I'm 29 and I have been smoking a pack a day for about 11 years now. I have tried everything to quit smoking & so far, nothing has worked for me. I went to my doctor today & talked to him about Chantix because I've heard of alot of people who are successfully quitting using it. He gave me the prescription & I start it tomorrow. I'm hopeful that this will help me quit smoking. Does anyone have any advice or useful information about your experience using Chantix? Has anyone who has used this had negative side effects that made you quit taking it? I am a little concerned about taking it because I have an enlarged uterus and an enlarged liver. The doctor knows this and still prescribed it, so I'm guessing he didn't think it was much of a concern, but I'm still worried about it. Also, I've read things about Chantix where people had increased irritablilty and I sure don't want that. I just want to quit smoking for good. Any advice? Thanks ~Marisa~

Old 08-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
(female)

DannDees HB User
Re: I'm fixing to start Chantix; any advice?

bride...Hi and welcome. I actually just took my last lil white pill. I am suppose to quit tomorrow, which means few more hours of smoking for me. I have not had any sickness from these pills yet. Just a lil insomnia and vivid dreams. On day 2 my cigs already started tastin very stale. Thats the most info I can give you so far since my experience has been so short. there are many others that are very helpful and I am sure they will be posting to you soon...good luck to you and all of us...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

For some of us who have smoked longer I feel takes a little longer to quit, however, I am on the blue pills and have been for over 2 weeks, today is my quit day, during the 2 weeks if I smoked 4-6 cigs a day that was allot, since I was a pack a day smoker for over 30 yrs, I have found that Chantix for some reason gave me the ability to not think about smoking if that makes sense, also the taste of cigarettes becomes nasty. You have to commit yourself also to giving it up. hope this helps. Good luck with your quit you can and should do it.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
(female)

MPSunshine777 HB User

For me, the Chantix has helped alot, and so far, without any bad side effects. It's like, the idea of smoking a cig pops in your head but then you're like I don't really want one. I think it's the habit that keeps popping in your head and not your body "needing" it. I smoked for 15 years, so I imagine it will take some time before I get used to living as a non-smoker. I understand when people say that when you quit smoking it's like you lost your best friend.
So far I am very pleased with how well the Chantix is helping me out. I am however very "snappy" ( a nice way to put it). I figure that is normal and I will have to hope & pray it will go away soon.
Good luck and keep us posted. I read these posts everyday for inspiration and it helps alot.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
(female)

BrideToBe78 HB User
Smile Re: I'm fixing to start Chantix; any advice?

Thank you for sharing all of your experiences using Chantix. I feel very optimistic about this helping me quit smoking. I'm ready to do it & feel this will help me succeed. I know it's basically up to me to stick with it & feel that I am finally ready to take the next step and help myself get healthier. Thanks again. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress! I just took my first pill! Good luck to all of you on your journey to becoming smoke-free!

Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
(female)

jaycubed HB User

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here as well. I have smoked for almost 20 years at 1/2-1 pack a day. I have quit about five times in the past, but always started up again. The last time I was able to quit for about 10 months. I NEED to stop smoking. I have a 3-year-old son and I have recently been diagnosed with borderline cervical cancer. My doctor advised me to quit smoking as that will decrease my risk of developing cancer. I want to be around for my son and want to see him grow up. I am only 35 years old! I am really scared he will be without a mommy.

Anyway, my biggest fear of quitting again is the insomnia. I have severe anxiety and every time I have quit in the past, I have felt like my skin is crawling and stay up almost all night because I can't relax enough to sleep. I was told these withdrawl symptoms would last about two weeks and I kept reminding myself they would pass. After 10 months of still not sleeping more than two hours a night, I gave in and started smoking again.

I have tried wellbutrin, gum, and patches in the past. Also for the insomnia, I was placed on numerous prescriptions for sleep, but none of them worked. I tried melatonin, Benadryl, Tylenol PM, sleeping pills, amitriptyline, trazodone, and Ambien with no relief. I have also tried chamomille tea and SleepyTime tea in the evenings along with a lot of herbal sleep remedies, nada. My doctor told me about Chantix and I think I am ready to try again.

I really, really want to quit, I am just afraid of the insomnia. Any help with this? I know people have different reactions to medications. If Chantix will make me sleepy, that would be great. If it makes me stay up all night, ugh! Not again.

I registered with this board hoping the support and advice will help me quit 100% this time.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
(female)

velveeta HB User

You won't know how it works for you until you try it. I experienced calmness when I took Chantix, very even pleasant feeling. I only experienced insomnia and some joint pain about 2-3 weeks into the blue pills, so I started taking only one a day at that point. Did not notice any more intense craves and slept better and joint pain disappeared. I am totally off Chantix and choose not to smoke anymore. I have been quit for 5 months! Good Luck and keep us posted!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Hi, Jay, and welcome!

I've got to agree 1,000 percent with my good buddy there above me, Velveeta. You never know until you try.

Chantix did not give me insomnia at all. I found I was a light sleeper on the med, but, man, I could -- and often was -- sleep 12, 14 hours on the med.

That's not to say I didn't have a few other side effects listed on the pamphlet, but insomnia wasn't one. The hubby and my mother didn't have it, either. If anything, we were struggling to stay awake on it.

Best of luck & be sure to check back with us and let us know how you make out

Old 08-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
(female)

velveeta HB User

Glad to see you are doing well Steno! I have been busy lately but try to stop in everyday even if it is just to read! Can not forget my humble beginnings!! Good Weekend to you!

Old 08-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #10
(female)

DannDees HB User

hi jay. you have come to the right place for support. I will be exactly 9 days quit in just 55 minutes. I can't believe it. I was having trouble with sleep but everyone is different. Once I started splitting my 2 pills in 4 halves things r better. Today I slept alot. I think my body was catching up. your last quit at 10 months was incredible. This time make it forever.. If I can go 9 days I can go forever is how I look at it. today is actually the first day that the cigs didn't control my thoughts. Good luck to you and I know the wonderful people on these boards can get you through it as they have been where I run to when I felt like caving in..keep on posting and reading

Old 08-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
(female)

jaycubed HB User

Thanks for the welcome! I picked up my Chantix yesterday. However, I didn't really talk to my doctor about it, she just called it in for me. Should I start taking my first week in the morning to see how I react to it? How far out should I make my quit date? I'm really nervous about this. I have told all my friends I am doing this, which I didn't do last time so maybe this will help me quit for good this time. You know those friends, they come over with their smokes and ask if you want one. Gosh, I hope I can do it this time! I'm really nervous about it.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Jay, the box hopefully has an insert with directions, side effects, things to watch for, etc.

But, yes, you will start out the program by taking a pill in the morning, with food & water. Food & water is very important with every pill! And not just a sip of water. At least eight oz. You can smoke during this time.

By day three or four (it should be obviousy by your first week starter pack), you begin adding an evening pill in addition to the morning pill.

The first week, each pill is a half-milligram.

Once you begin week two, you keep the same regimen, but the pills go from a half-milligram to one milligram each. You still continue to take one in the morning and one in the evening.

You do pick a quit date. The literature recommends day 8 being your quit date, or the day you start the stronger pills. Most do quit on that date. Some quit a little sooner; some a little later.

Let us know how u make out!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
(female)

jaycubed HB User

Okay gang! I started day one of Chantix today. things are okay for day one. Too early to tell really. However, I have a haaa-yoooooge headache! I took some Tylenol, but still have it! I am hoping this will go away after a few days? Maybe?

Jen

Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
(male)

kevsz HB User

Well, this board has helped me to choose Chantix. I've been surfing a couple of hours now reading up on possible side effects and success rates.

I've been a smoker for years but have never really tried quitting. Now I want to, because I've seen firsthand what the effects are years down the road, and dread the prospect of emphysema and everything else that goes along with it.

I start the program tomorrow.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
(female)

velveeta HB User

Kevsz, Welcome! Glad you have decided to be a Quitter. While Chantix may help in your quit it will be your resolve that keeps you quit. Its like quitting cold turkey aided by Chantix. Keep in touch and if you have any questions for us let us know. We all will cheer you on!!!

Closed Thread