It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Stretched2Far HB User
Unhappy Young, But Highly Addicted Smoker! I Need Support! :(

Hi everyone!
I am 19 yrs. old and am having a very hard time quitting. One of my good friends just quit w/o any hesitation (and shes smoked a lot longer!). I'm very frustrated.

I try to tell myself the benefits, but then I start making up B.S. excuses, like:

-Helps with stress
-Helps me study to get good grades in college
-Fun to smoke with friends (social)
-Who wants to be 85 slumped over in a wheelchair anyways?
-Everything is a lot more fun w/ smoking (i.e. driving, watching tv)
-Help me workout (Don't ask LOL, I can get through an intense workout as long as I know theres a cig at the end for me)
-Something to look forward to (I come from a poor family, and its bad enough I have to pay for my car, car insurance, food, gas, clothing, college, college books, contacts, glasses, ---pretty much everything except for my cell phone: I don't get to save up money like most kids my age from their jobs or go on shopping trips to buy ipods and ps3's)
- I Suffer from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and smoking DOES help with the extreme constipation plus the depression I get from bloating and all the other crap that comes along with it. (I consume about 1300 calories a day - I weight 220 lbs. - so I'm constantly losing weight, but you just can't tell because I'm constantly bloated)
-Smoking helps suppress hunger
-I lose fatter and worse w/o smoking
-They're like my best friends (sad and pathetic, but true)
-Helps bond w/ other smokers
-I also have disgusting stretch marks (see my username )from IBS and bloating, and I get really depressed about them. So I smoke.
-Helps concentrate more
-Fun
-I see old people smoking all the time. So everyone DOESN'T get lung cancer/emphesyma/heart disease and die young?
-I feel like RAZE and the other tobacco awareness groups are SO exagerrated that it's comical and I can't take their warnings seriously.

Note- I probably misspelled a lot of words, b/c I'm not smoking.

I try to tell myself about Lung Cancer, etc. But it seems like the positives outweigh the negatives.
I'm currently on my 2nd day w/o smoking with the help of patches, but I honestly can't see myself quitting anytime within this year. I'm too weak.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Young, But Highly Addicted Smoker! I Need Support! :(

You can do it Stretched! Do it now, because in 30 years it will be 1000 times harder to quit. I know, I'm there.... I remember when I was 19 and decided to quit, I threw a whole pack of cigs out the car window.... wow, do I wish I had kept to that quit... now it's 30 years later, I quit last May... but wow, I miss it so much. But I also wonder why I smoked so long, wasted so much money and time on cigs and probably ruined my health to some degree.

-Who wants to be 85 slumped over in a wheelchair anyways? - I'd rather be 85 and slumped in a wheelchair than be 55 and carrying around an oxygen tank.

And remember, 100% of people who smoke get emphasema. Some just get it worse than others.

Good luck and keep up the quit! Use that patch, I did. It worked.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

You are all most past the hardest part,2 days not smoking is great after the 3rd day the nicotine is out of your system.The rest is just cravings.

In order to QUIT you must have the desire and the want.You say you can't save money,Save your cigarette money,put it in an account.

Your 19 and an adult,I didn't pay for my daughters car,insurance and so forth.These are the facts of life ,not all parents are able to pay for their kids through their lifes path.You will appreciate this later.

Your gonna have stress in life,smoking or not.
Studying how can you concentrate when you're smoking,lighting up,putting them out.
Your friends should except you socially if you don't smoke
I know many 85 year olds that are not slumped over in a wheel share,disabilities don't discriminate against age!!!!!
Ya can still drive(smoking and lighting up can be a distraction)TV watching can be just enjoyable.
Intense work outs are great and can be meaningful without smoking afterwards.How can your lungs repair themselves if you are smoking.
Smoking does not supress hunger,they just keep your hands idle.
I can relate to cigs being a good friend,but they can also be enemies.
Why do you need to bond with other smokers,peopke should except you for who you are.
Yes,older people do smoke,but meet one that is sufferring from lung diseases and on oxygen.
Cigs maybe making the IBS worse only time will tell

As far as the commercials and tobacco use,its not the tobacco its the additives that they enhance cigs with that causes a greater addiction.If it was straight tobacco it would be natural.

You are young and see the fun side of smoking.If you are truelly ready to quit then you will succeed.

At your age I would of thought the same way.But as we age we reconsider the fact of smoking.

You should be proud of yourself for not smoking for 2 days.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Stretched, I wish I could go back in time because believe me I never would have picked up a cigarette ever. I am 45 and have smoked for 30 yrs and trust me the longer you have smoked the worse it becomes to quit, I am on my second and last round of quitting, it has been 3 days for me and I cant wait until it has been 3 years. stay quit you are still so young, there is no excuse for smoking just remember that, we are here for you keep posting.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Stretched2Far HB User
Thumbs up Re: Young, But Highly Addicted Smoker! I Need Support! :(

Thank you guys so much. I really appreciate everything, and I will be sure to keep you guys posted.
It kind of hit a soft spot when you guys said you wish you never would've picked up a another cigarette at my age. I really need to just tell myself I can get through this, because If it's hard to quit now, I could not imagine how it will be in 10 years.

And nuffs3, I wanted to say thank you to you especially...my entire family (except for my mother...god bless her) is addicted to cigs or smokeless tobacco. This isn't just my intermediate family, this is my entire family!! All the time, I have to hear all these supposed "benefits" of smoking/skoal, and it was just good to hear someone say they were all crap excuses and just dumb reasons to continue filling your mouth up with purposeless smoke and/or disgusting tobacco.

I'm going strong on my 3rd day. I live in the northern part of West Virginia, and tomorrow I'm driving to Nashville, TN to visit a college down there, so that'll be a 16 hour round trip. This will be the real test. I'm going to go shower and put my patch on now because I'm starting to get those cravings again. Again, thanks everybody!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User

Smoking has caused so many problems for my family. My husband had bypass surgery at age 48. His surgeon said almost all of his patients with blocked arteries at such a young age are smokers. Lung problems are just one of the complications of smoking. My son still smokes. He's just 29 and his teeth are so brown....he drinks a lot of coffee also....but, it's sad because he is such a good looking kid. Plus, it STINKS. Even my husband has to admit now that he has quit that it smells terrible. I know when you are young you think you have so much time ahead of you, but that time passes quickly. My husband us to always say he'd rather enjoy smoking and die a little earlier.....he sure changed his tune when the doctor told him he was blocking his arteries. He quit cold-turkey that day. I quit 25 years ago and it is the #1 best thing I ever did for myself!

Old 08-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Stretched,

How was your trip.

Keep positive.I had been smoking more than half my life.I wish I had never started.I was 18,old enough to know better.

Each day gets easier,this has been one of the hardest things I have ever done.I'm on day 37 smoke free.Do I miss it oh yea,do I need them oh,no.

Don't worry about your weight at this time,take one health issue at a time,once you get the nicotine out of your system,rebuild your lungs,the cardiovascular system will strenghthen and then the workout at the gym will be benificial.Drink plenty of water,it will help.

Stay strong and do it for you.

I still socialize with smokers and I have friends that come to my house,I still let them smoke in my home.Just cause I quit I won't push it on them,but one friend has gotten the script for chantix,she was amazed how well it worked for me.

Its will power!!!!

Old 08-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
(female)

Liz74 HB User

Good luch Stretched and you can always come here for support. I haven't been to the board in a while due to work and other things but it's been over a month for me. There is so much support here! There is also a national quit hotline that is free [url]http://www.smokefree.gov/expert.html[/url]

I exercised perfectly fine while smoking until about a year ago (I'm 33), then I had difficulty breathing not just regarding endurance but all the time. If I was sedentary I might not have really noticed. With just 3 days of quitting my endurance increased and I was breathing easier all the time. I thought I was invincible since I could get through tough workouts too, but it caught up with me and it will with you too.

It's OK if you slip, we all do. I'm saying that because you mentioned a 16 hour drive and driving is the hardest habit to break for me. I'm not sure after about 5-6 weeks that I could do a 16 hour drive in my own car!

I bet driving through WVA is beautiful! I lived in northern VA when I went to Virginia Tech (3 hours down I-81) and it's so gorgeous it's almost distracting.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

Stretched2far...you sound like I sounded before I quit. I found every reason to keep smoking as you have. I tried quitting 2 times before I finally was able to do it. This seems to be the norm for most people. Several attempts are needed before they are sucessful. The first time I tried quitting I told myself if things got too stressful I could always start smoking again. Well, guess what? You are always going to have stress in your life. The second time I tried I said if I gain more than 10 pounds I was going to start. Well...yea, you guessed it.

What finally made me quit was when my daughter's pediatrician told me I was going to put her in the hospital if I didn't quit. I seriously think I would still be smoking today if it hadn't been for that. I truly admire people who do it just for themselves. What an accomplishment!!!

Why don't you try making a list of the reasons you should stop smoking ie saves money, better health. Maybe if you see it in writing it will help. Hang it somewhere where you can see it frequently like the fridge. My list was quite long. Also try putting a jar filled with ashes and cigarette butts somewhere you can see it often throughout the day. Take it down and look at it and smell it..YUK. I also found it easier to not be around people who smoked but I certainly respect other people's right to smoke.

Also, I also have IBS with constipation and use Miralax. My GI doctor recommended it so it should be OK for you. It works really well for me. You can buy it over the counter.

Stretched, you can do this. It will be so worth it. You will feel such a sense of accomplishment. And if you relapse don't beat yourself up. Just know it will make you that much closer to being able to quit the next time. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread