It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

DannDees HB User
ahhhhhh the chantix does work....

Well many of you probably know that I have not been getting much sleep from the chantix. Since I still had cravings I thought the chantix didn't work and was just giving me insomnia. Thought it was just another thing to trick people with weak minds to believe something happened when it didn't.
so since I was so much smarter then them I decided not to take that pill...BIG MISTAKE!!!! the cravings came at full force like day 3 all over again. So, I was wrong the chantix does work because once I broke down and took the pill the cravings eased up alot...THE CHANTIX WORKS!!! I only got 3 hours sleep last night but today I am cutting them and taking them 4 times a day and see if that works. I got rid of my 2 smallest foster children so I really don't care if I am a zombie for now as long as I don't smoke. The 4 other children are old enough to help themselves with most things...

hotdam r u still with me? I hope everything is well for you!!

Old 08-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: ahhhhhh the chantix does work....

See! Its like an invisible helper. Glad to hear that you are doing it! Do not give up. 5 more days and it will be 5 months for me!! Splitting the pill is good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Dee,

You do what works for you.I never did make it past one pill a day.Just a half in the morning and half in the evening.

I am down to taking it only in the morning and to be honest I don't think I took it today.(today is day 40)

Keep going strong!!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
(male)

tomjayc HB User
Smile Re: ahhhhhh the chantix does work....

YOU CAN DO IT DEE!!
I had a heck of a time with Chantix. But I kept on with it because nothing else worked for me. Welbutrin, patches, cold turkey, hypnosis and gum just didn't help.

When I first started taking the pill I was going nuts with the side effects. The sleepless nights were terrible. I was about to quit the Chantix until a poster informed me that trouble sleeping was also a symptom of nicotine withdrawl. If you look it up, alot of the side effects of Chantix are also side effects of nicotine withdrawl. So you can't blame everything on the pill.

Some of the things that I did on my journey to being nicotine free was:

1. picked fights with my wife
2. yelled at the kids
3. cut down on alcohol
4. was sleepy
5. ate sunflower seeds
6. took my dog for walks in the middle of the night
7. cut my evening pill in half after a couple weeks
8. cut out my evening pill all together
9. slept a little better
10. picked fights with my wife
11. wanted a smoke
12. didn't want a smoke
13. was in a brain fog for a month
14. was very proud of myself for finally kicking the stupid habit
15. picked a fight with my wife
16. wanted a smoke
17. didn't want to smoke

I've been at it for 5 months or so and my journey isn't over yet. All I know is that after all of the bullsh*t that I went through, I never want to go through that again. That's what keeps me from picking up another stupid cig.

Good luck to you on your journey.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Tom,

5 + months is awesome.I agree its only been 40 days for me and I won't go backwards.Its still a challenge but its getting easier most days.

I never went through the yelling or night time dog walking,but this med like others effect us differently.

Keep going strong!!!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
(female)

DannDees HB User

Thanks tom and your list is funny. I have been wanting to get sunflower seeds since my jaw hurts from gum now..so funny I feel like i need to eat so i eat then after i eat i need cig so i eat again to cover up wanting cig.

you all kind of scare me when you say 5 months is still a challenge...wth...I really am gung ho about never smoking again, but 5 months of a challenge..yikes..oh well one day at a time...

I fight with my own dang mind over smoking. It really makes me feel insane and then when I literally think about myself arguing with MYSELF i crack up out loud. My whole family looks at me like I am crazy laughing out of nowhere.So now I feel crazy and they think I am crazy, so I am going crazy..lol...
WHY OH WHY DID I EVER PICK UP THAT FIRST CIG..??? Oh ya I remember to blow smoke rings because i thought thy were so cool looking. Then I had to practice inhaling because all my friends could do it so I was determined to do it without choking..they really should ban these dang things. It's ridiculous!!! sorry all just venting all my thoughts...I promise when I am all good, to come back to help others..

To end on positive note.. I never had brain fog (KNOCK ON WOOD) but had it when i quit pain pills and know how bad that is, so those of you that have to deal with that on top of everything else be proud SO PROUD..

Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
(male)

tomjayc HB User

Dee,
Don't even think about 5 months from now. Just get through today. I'm sorry if I made you think that it doesn't get easier. I go along time without even thinking about smoking now. When I do think about it, I'm thinking about how free I am now. Just last night I went to our little county fair to watch my daughter run for junior miss for the county. When I was sitting there I saw some people sneak off for a smoke. That's when I thought about smoking. I thought, damn, that used to be me. Smokes used to rule my life. It controlled where I went, how long I stayed, who I was around, who I wasn't around.(at 39 years old, I never smoked in front of my parents)

Not being ruled by smokes is awsome. I can now go places and do things that I never would have before. Life is good. Really good.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Dee, it really is humbling, isn't it, when you realize how much the med is helping with the cravings? I did the exact same thing. I'd been breaking my pills in half and taking them four times a day instead of two whole ones twice a day. One night, I forgot to take my bedtime half, and I just slept so good and so sound and just felt like a million bucks the next morning.

I figured the Chantix was just making me a zombie, that I was out of the "woods" and would be okay taking, say, half a pill a day.

Huge mistake. I got really big cravings and sorta freaked out a bit.

But I did find that by taking a half pill several times a day, I was able to tweak my dosage/regimen until I was fairly close to human and functionable. Hopefully you'll find splitting the pills in half and taking a half two to four times a day to work a little better for you

Old 08-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Dee, I am here with ya, we are doing fabulous, I am proud of you your doing great. I havent taken the chantix for 2 days my family is tired of listening to me gas everywhere LOL. I did have a craving earlier but it left as quick as it came. One day at a time, I am actually feeling so much better I feel like I can breath better now, after allot longer time it will feel much better. As long as the chantix is working keep taking it until you think you can go solo. Let me know how your doing.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #10
(female)

DannDees HB User

tom ,steno, and hotdam thank you all for your replys. I can not even tell you all in words how much I am in debt to you..

splitting the pills helped with sleep problem but now it feels like i have sore muscles everywhere? I feel like my sister, if it wasn't one thing bothering her it was the other. I am feeling closer to normal with my brain today.. Not completely sane yet but almost...i am going to be a cow before this is over....

hotdamm..lol i have had alot of gas.. I didn't know it was from the pill, I thought nicotine must've messed with my digestive system also. I am kinda enjoying it. payback time to my 3 boys lol..congrats quit buddy..sounds like you licked that demon with ease..

steno , I looked that holy basil stuff up and it is amazing what all it has been proven to help..even quitting smoking.. I want some but it said it came in leaf form pill and other ways. could you tell me how much you take and brand etc... thanks for that info in another post..The stuff sounds amazing on every site I read about it...going to try and catch some zzzzzzzzzz's..

oh also when you all have these dreams have you been dreaming about dead loved ones... my mom is in my dreams every night and they are so real that I wake up and feel like I really seen her, then end up in tears but I really enjoy them

Old 08-11-2007, 04:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Mornin', Dee

Very sore here, too, and I'm way beyond the physical effects of nico withdrawal and I've been off Chantix about seven weeks now. I think mine is joints, strange places, too. Like the base of my toes on my left foot, the back of my left knee, the middle knuckle on my middle finger of my left hand, my right elbow. I'm 35 and have never had muscle or joint pain.

But it beats how my chest hurt every morning after my coughing fits as a smoker

Seriously, I've read all kinds of stuff on the Net, could be side effect of quitting, side effect of Chantix ... I also read that smoking has anesthesia in it and masks all sorts of pains. I'll bet this is why so many folks get diagnosed with bad illness after quitting. We can finally feel when something might be wrong?

Had to chuckle at the gas, lol. No kids here, but I do have a hubby who qualifies as a child at times. Payback's been fun

The holy basil we get is from New Chapter. We get it in gel cap form and take two with breakfast or lunch. Two gel caps contain about 700 mgs of holy basil.

I think I'd underestimated common herbs. I flipped on the computer the other day and right on the "news" section of my browser's homepage was talk about how some common herbs are now being recognized as super foods and should be consumed daily, basil being one of them. I think thyme and oregano were others ... could be wrong. I just remember being happy that most of what was listed I grow on my kitchen windowsill to keep the kitchen smelling good and grew to be able to make fresh salad dressings without having to spend a fortune at the store.

Yes, I dreamed about dead loved ones, too, often. My grandmother passed last year, and I dreamed a lot about her while I was on Chantix. Always really fun stuff, tho, which was odd because we fought in real life. I never woke up sad -- probably just because of the nature of our relationship -- but I did wake up every morning and had to do double-take because it REALLY felt like I'd just seen her.

Best of luck to you with the holy basil, dreams & gas

Old 08-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

hey Dee, I figured you would get a kick out of the gas thing, oh yea I have been doing lots of payback, they all run now saying eeeewww mom, I stand there and laugh. as far as the dreams, boy have I had some doozys, none about dead loved ones yet, but boy some of of these dreams are soooo wierd. I wanted to ask if any of you experienced weight gain while taking c
hantix.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
(female)

DannDees HB User

steno, thank you for the help with holy basil.. I'm getting some a.s.a.p...

hotdam..I am gaining weight like crazy..The sad part is I just lost 30 lbs and was trying to get the last 4 lbs off so I tried to exercise but I would get winded easily so then I decide that I am going to quit smoking so I can start exercising easily and I gain alot of the weight I lost back.

I don't believe it is the chantix becuase I did not gain it on the meds until I stopped smoking. I think it is the box a day of cheez-its that I eat.

I have hypothyroid so I have battled my weight for last 8 years since I had my last child. Not too worried about it. VEry low carb diet makes me lose weight fast and can usually keep it off for 2 years until I get way to laxed about what I am eating..I am dealing with this smoking thing and when I feel I have licked it I will begn to worry about my weight thing..

good luck to you..don't worry what do they say "JUST more to love"

10 days and 11 hours..I CAN NOT BELIEVE IT!!!!! BYE FOR NOW

Old 08-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Dee, I am working out and will lose the weight I have gained I have also been on a no carb high fiber diet since yet one of my other issues is high cholesterol, so I have pretty much become a vegetarian. What a mess, any way we are dong great, 10 days yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Closed Thread