It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User
Irritable on Chantix

Hello to all my non-smoking friends and those of you thinking about quitting. I am starting my 5th week on Chantix and it seems like the last several days, I've been super irritable. The first few weeks on Chantix, I was sort of lethargic, kind of in a fog, which was great because I could zone out and not think of cigarettes. Well, now it feels like the fog has kind of lifted and I feel like I want to hurt people who talk to me. hehehe. not really, but I am very irritable. So have any of you been irritable on the Chantix? Am I just being hyper-sensitive? I have always had bouts of irritability but they would usually be a day or two once a month and were very predictable.
I haven't smoked since July 18 and I have no intention of starting again, but I don't feel ready to stop the Chantix yet either.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
(female)

janetJ HB UserjanetJ HB User
Re: Irritable on Chantix

I have been on Chantix about a month, and a couple weeks into it, I started noticing the same thing. I have been extremely irritable.
I wasn't sure if it was the Chantix or not, but maybe it is, since I am not the only one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Irritable here, too, but mine set in about a week after I stopped Chantix, as well as bouts of anxiety (never had that before in my life).

The hubby was a raving lunatic on Chantix. Way beyond anything I'd classify as "irritable." He had to stop it after only a few weeks.

I don't know. Folks are irritable on Chantix, off Chantix, quitting with gum, patches, inhalers ... we're all GROUCHY!!!!!

I mentioned it on another thread, but after DH's response to Chantix, there was no way I was getting him back into a doc's office for another mind-altering drug. We've both had really positive results with an herb called holy basil. It's found at health food stores. I've not seen it at the grocery store, nor the drug store. Need to hit the health food store for this one.

Check it out online, talk with your doc and/or pharmacist about it, too. We take no other medicines, other than a once-daily multivitamin. We liked the looks of it because it's been used for a few thousand years by India, doesn't have scary side effects and works quickly (generally within 36 hours).

It's taken about 95 percent of the edge off for us. DH took it while on Chantix those last few days and continues to take it (he loves how mellow and "happy" it makes him); I only took it after I was finished with Chantix and still do.

Best of luck for getting rid of the grouchies

Old 08-09-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I believe the irritability has alot to do with not smoking more than the chantix, but who knows, that is why we tell our families we are going to be grouchy so bare with it. My husband tells me I am a grouch and I just tell him rather grouchy for a little while than smoking forever. He agreed.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #5
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I think you're right, hotdam, that a lot of it is quitting smoking. All I know is I am very very irritable - mostly late afternoon/evening. Last night I was taking my dog out to go to the bathroom and he was taking too long and I was getting so angry at him. poor little guy, I kept going "hurry up and %^&ing go potty" and he'd stop and look at me with his cute little face, like "I'm trying, i'm trying." Then I was helping my son put together some iPod alarm clock thing and I got so mad, I started yelling and snapping at him. He goes "why are you so mad?" aahhh!!! I told him I was sorry and we talked about it awhile. He's 12 so he gets that it's not me - he's so happy I've quit smoking. And he's used to me being irritable on occasion anyway.
Stenolady, I am definitely going to get some holy basil to try. Thanks for the suggestion. Besides the chantix, I take a multivitamin and also flaxseed oil each day now, so adding that shouldn't be a problem.
janetj, thanks for responding and i hope the irritability goes away soon. for all of us. surely it will. It's still better than smoking.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
(female)

bups212 HB User

hi beach lover,
just want to let you know that i started chantix in june this year. i felt terrible the first five days. I took chantix for about 6 weeks- I quit smoking, but I was VERY irritable, very fatigued (i wanted to sleep all the time) and in a fog, as you described.... Unfortunatly, I started smoking again when I got off of chantix..... but the fog has lifted and I am back to my laid back self.... I hate this, because I want to quit smoking, but don't want to go back through the hell i went through on that drug. All I can think about is smoking now that I am not taking it. I am considering taking it again, but am scared. glad to know I am not the only one who feels "crazy" on this drug!! every little thing would make me angry!! anyway, good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Closed Thread