It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

Teiger HB User
Hi! New to this forum.

Good day everybody! I found this doing a search for other health things and it looks like a great group here.

I have been smoke free since September 8, 2005. I quit on the patch. I had a previous quit from November of 2002 to December of 2003 and started smoking again. I had unsuccessful attempts at quitting between December of 2003 and September of 2005 and really thought I would die a smoker. I smoked 2 packs a day for most of the 24 years that I smoked.

My parents both died of lung cancer and were both smokers at one point in their lives. I have a 12 year old son and have been married to my husband since 1991 and want to have a long life with him and also see my son group up and enjoy his life, maybe grand babies some day for me!

Life is so short and you are never sure when your time is up. I want to enjoy life smoke free and get healthy. I had 23 months yesterday smoke free and that is the longest I have stayed smoke free.

I also belong to other smoke cessation support groups online and they have been a great resource and support to me this time around.

Nice to be here and hope to get to know some of you and support you on your journey to stay smoke free. I know I could not have quit without some help and support.

Karen

Last edited by Teiger; 08-11-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Hi! New to this forum.

Welcome Karen what an amazing amount of time to have under your belt. This is my third and hopefully my last attempt sunday will be 14 months under my belt the longest I've ever gone I did it cold turkey. Your experiences should add very nicely to our little bunch here. I feel it this time that I won't go back to it. what about you????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 02:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Welcome, Karen

Glad you found us!

What an incredible accomplishment you've made there. I do hope you pull up a chair and make yourself comfy! I know we can all benefit from your experience.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
(female)

Teiger HB User

Thank you both for the nice replies. My reasons for quitting and staying quit are different and my reserve is stronger, I believe, this time. I also was able to distinguish this time around the difference between a real craving and a habit. That has made a lot of difference too. That and having a great support system this time around. I Will be looking forward to checking in here regularly. Have a nice day all.

Karen

Old 08-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

tieger, welcome aboard, I feel like the newbie compared to your great accomplishment, I lik you have quit once before for 3 months and went back, this is my second and last time smoke free I am working on a week now. I have a long way to go and witho all the support we receive on this board none of us will have a problem.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
(female)

Teiger HB User

Yeah quitting for those 13 months and trying to get back on track again after that was hard and I tried cold turkey and that did not work. I really wondered if I could ever quit again. But I am happy to say I have 700 days today and am very very grateful for each day I don't pick up a cigarette. It took me awhile to get back on track after starting to smoke again in 2003, but God willing, I will have 2 years next month. I do still take it a day at a time though. That is the best way. I can plan for the future but live in and keep my quit in today. Off to go swimming in awhile here so I will close for now.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Karen

Old 08-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
(female)

velveeta HB User

Teiger, You are awesome in your quit and I want to use your method. I too take it day to day. I look forward to counting the years instead of months. But I have to do the months before I can do the years! I too will live in and keep my quit in today! Thank you for the inspiration!!

Old 08-11-2007, 02:56 AM   #8
(female)

Teiger HB User

Anytime I can help someone else with this nasty addiction, I am here. There are so many that have helped me quit and stay quit that I want to pass it on too! Have a great day everyone. I am off to work.

Karen

Closed Thread