It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User
starting over

a little history...i quit smoking using chantix on 6/25, went 3 1/2 wks w/o many cravings. in total i had 3 very stressful situations, and started smoking again with each one. i have smoked 1 carton and 8 pks of cigs off and on since 6/25. hubby had quit then also, but went back to regular smoking schedule with my first set back.
today is day 1 for us in not smoking. i am still using chantix, he is cold turkey because he did'nt like the chantix side effects.
in the 6 wks of on and off smoking, i have felt awful. waves of nausea, shortness of breath, and wheezing alot. i was diagnosed with copd about 13 yrs ago, so have already done alot of irreversable damage to my lungs.
i need to do this right this time!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bevann

Last edited by bevann26; 08-10-2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: need to add word

Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
(female)

BeachLover74 HB User
Re: starting over

It's awesome that you haven't given up bevann. you can do this. It doesn't matter how many times you've tried before - it sounds like this is the time for you and your husband. The people on this board are here for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
(male)

This Time HB User

My first post...on anything for that matter.

Anyway, long time smoker - 30 yrs or so, who knows anymore...Tried Zyban which was ok - still enjoyed smoking while on it though. Been on Chantix 12 days. Set quit day for day 8. Broke down two times on that day, but got nothing at all from smoking them. No rush or buzz. Felt exactly the same after smoking them as I did before. (I beleive that is how it is supposed to be since the brain receptors are being controlled by the Chantix.) At any rate, seeing that there is no reward, I have been at zero for the past 3 days!! Feel sort of "groovey" at times. LOL - At least that is how I charaterize it. Crazy Dreams, like I had with Zyban...I just expect it and enjoy them though. I am trying to keep the side effects on the postive side instead of freaking out about them. I beleive they are very mild compared to chemo or radiation therepy which is where I was probalby heading...just a matter of time you know. I can tell the body is starting to heal itself. Very productive cough at times - usually in the a.m.. Weezing basically gone!! Gonna stay positive and fight like hell to not smoke today too. Good luck all!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

If at first you do not suceed, try try again!! Bevann you can do this girl! Show your dominance over these cigs! Stress never goes away, it will always be one thing or another. Just deal without the cigarette. You are going to feel so good when you get some time behind you. You will wonder why you did not quit sooner! Five months for me on Monday! Not one puff ever! I am cheering for you!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

velveeta HB User

This Time, Welcome and glad you feel groovy with the Chantix! I felt calmer while taking it but did suffer some insomnia and joint pain which I remedied by cutting back on my dosage once I felt safe doing so. Worked well. I smoked for 35 years and have been cig free for 5 months come Monday! You can do this and you will get support here. This place has been a great help to me. I still take it day to day but it does get easier as the time goes by. You will see if you just hang in there!!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Bevann,

I quit a hundred times over tomorrow will be 6 weeks smoke free.seems like yesterday that I quit.2 packs a day to 0 after 3 days on chantix.Still taking chantix,not ready to solo it yet.I have joint pain,but don't know if its chantix or disease related.
I'll deal with the side effects a little longer to become smoke free permanant.
We are always gonna have stress in our lives some days worse than others.

This time,

Take it one day at a time after 23 years of smoking,smoke free 6 weeks.The key is to taking it one day at a time and doing it for you.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks to all of you for your support! you are all so inspiring with your quits! i come on here every morning with my coffee & stirrer ( LOL) i might still need that stirrer to chew on forever! anyway i feel this board is like a life line to me and you are all so wonderful!
well got thru yesterday smoke free, now working on day 2!
have a nice w/end everyone........bevann

Old 08-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #8
(female)

DannDees HB User

hi bev...hope your second day went well. congrats on your will power to not give up..I know the first time I lost weight it was so easy that I expected everytime to be so easy so I put off losing weight thinking I could lose it whenever I wanted. Well for cigs this has been so hard that I don't know if I would be brave enough to try it a second time so this is why this first time has to be it. You are soooooooo brave so I KNOW you are one of the ones that is going to beat the cigs. It has been 10 days and 23 minutes for me and although it is easier it is still a hourly struggle. It went from every second struggle to every minute now It is about evry hour. cant wait till its down to at least only once an hour. My friend was smoking and I thought I'm gonna go close to her and see if it stinks to me..WEll it didn't, It smelled oh sooooo good. So I know I am not in the safe zone at all. If I had cigs here I know I wouldve smoked but what saves me every time is by the time I get my shoes on and my keys to go to the store I have had time to get my sense back. so make sure all cigs are out of the house..Works for me...

Old 08-12-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

keep going dee, you are doing great!
well today starts day 3 for me smoke free. hubby and i went on errands yesterday and he bought himself cigs(supposedly because he wanted to have his beer this w/end and could'nt enjoy it yet w/out a cig) says he is stopping again when they're gone. anyway, i gave it a flighted thought about getting some, then scolded myself! i am very proud i did'nt break! so, that gave me 1 more day smoke-free!

keep up all the good and hard work(it is very hard work)to all of you strong people on here!
bevann

Old 09-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
(female)

ariel7 HB User

Hi Beachlover and TJ, Steno Lady, and all,
I haven't written in a long time because I was out of the country then very busy -- BUT -- it's now 9 weeks smokefree!!! How are you all doing? Great, I hope!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
(female)

PixieJen HB User
Thumbs up Re: starting over

Hi everybody!
This Time- I like the way you describe your experience, mine was very similar. Except I did freak out a little. But you are so right, the side effects are much better that what would come out of cancer treatment.

I have been quit since 7/14. Though I have not had any productive coughs or anything like that. I have heard stories of people coughing up all kinds of things, but I wonder why I haven't. There should be 12 years worth of stuff to cough up.
I am definitely happy with Chantix. I know I wouldn't have been able to quit without it. Although I have cheated a few times since my quit date. I am still quit and haven't bought a pack.
I just thought I'd share. It's been a little while since I've checked in.

Closed Thread