It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User
do i have to get fat when i quit smoking.

i sure don't need to gain any more weight!

i'm new here but this seems like a really supportive community and i really believe support will help all of use with quitting.

i'm on day four of chantix. luckily i've had no side effects (yet, i'm not on full dose) i don't even get upset stomach or anything. maybe a little bit of ummm, you know gas...

but it's all good and under control! lol.

i guess i started a new thread cuz there are so many here to go through.

can anyone share some of their tips for not gaining weight. i'm really afraid about substituting food for smokes once i hit my quit day. i gain weight really easily

will i have to diet? change my food choices? go for more walks? all of the above?

guess i just need someone to kick me in the butt lol.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: do i have to get fat when i quit smoking.

you really have to weigh all options,the studies show that normal weight gain going through nicotine withdrawl is 16-22 pounds.

Exercising while not smoking may help.

A few extra pounds vs caring around an oxygen when you get older is something to look at.

I've gained about 12 pounds in 43 days,which I needed.

The weight you can deal with after you stop smoking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

eww that's not good news.

i can't afford to gain 22 lbs. that will put me from 'bigger' to 'obese'. i have a really hard time losing weight. i don't know. if i gain this i'll probably have a hard time losing it. maybe quitting smoking isn't a good idea. lol. i'll just end up dying anyways of being overweight. ugh.

well thanks for the bad news!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Not everyone gain wieghts.

I needed the wieght gain,there's many alternatives than eating when a person stops smoking,sugar free candies seem to top the list.keeping the hands busy.

I honestly have to say that I don't know if the weight gain is from not smoking or high steroid use.

All you can do is try and see what happens.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
(female)

yeah im still going to do it. it just makes me mad to think that i would gain weight for no reason other than being on the drug. grr... i hate that. does it make you more hungry? or lower your metabolism? i just want to stop it.

i guess i'll have to eat less the first few months. i'm having such a hard time losing anyways, i guess this might be a good way to change my habits for good.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i have just started my third month of chantix. i never felt any hungrier than my usual and have'nt gained any weight. i found the worst side effect i had was loss of energy! i am still working on that one!
you will be fine and good luck to you....bevann

Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
(male)

bellissimo45 HB User

i quit before an replaced my smoking with exercise and it worked out really well for me, i didnt gain anything, i actually lost a few pounds

Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
(female)

well i'm on day 7.

i have been having a horrible craving for cheeseburgers lol.

i have one. but i am also eating alot of healthy foods. smoothies, yogurt, salads, blah blah. i need to get more healthy food in my house so that when i crave the cheeeezeburger i can eat something i have here at home instead. i think it's something salty maybe. i should make some soup or something.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
(female)

velveeta HB User

Pumkinseed, Don't fret, weight gain is not unheard of when you quit. I read somewhere it could be any where from 16-22 pounds. We can thank our metabolism slowing down for this. I gained 15 pounds. Was bummed about it but I can always exercise daily as I have started doing and watching what I eat. Make healthier choices. I feel better as a quitter than I feel worse as a weight gainer. After successfully quitting cigs I feel I can do anything including getting a grip on my weight. The best thing about losing weight is that you do not have to give up what you like forever. Just for a short time and then in moderation. You can do this!!

Closed Thread