It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
(male)

davhamer HB User
Started Chantix now on day 5

I had used the patches before and quit for three years. Like a dumb a** I started back. Now trying chantix. Seems to be working. I haven't reached my quit day yet, but I am "cutting down" on smokes until that day. It seems much easier with the pills. Sleeping seems to be a little of a problem however.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Started Chantix now on day 5

Dayhammer,

Welcome,

chantix does work,its only half the equation,the want to stop has to be there.

I found I got a bit tired with the chantix.I've taken it 47 days and have been smoke free 43 days.I only take half a pill in the morning and that has worked for me.

Just take one day at a time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
(male)

davhamer HB User

I have reached quit day. I actually smoked my last cig yesterday at 5pm. I ran out and decided not to buy another pack. So far so good. The pills really take the edge off. I remember gut wrenching cravings the last time I tried to quit.

I have stopped nicotine for 18 hours, 17 minutes and 54 seconds (0 days).

I've not smoked 23 death sticks, and saved $3.95.
I've saved 1 hour and 54 minutes of my life.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

Good for you Davhamer! You are off to a good start so hang in there and visit us often for support and encouragement.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 AM   #5
(female)

DannDees HB User

dav, great newsthat you quit again. Glad it seems easier for you this time around. can I ask.? after 3 years of quit, just smoking 1 cig made you crave cigs all over again? I am at 15 days and 2 hours quit. Has been tough getting here but now seems like cake walk. That JUST ONE CIG WON'T HURT DEMON still comes in my head but from your story I see he's a liar..lol..congrats to you and let us be a part of your journey..keep us posted...

Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
(male)

davhamer HB User

With the pills, it seems easier. The urge is still there, I dare not smoke one. It more the habit than the physical addiction that makes me want to smoke. The Chantix takes the nicotine buzz away. If you smoke one, you won't get anyhting from it but a bad taste in your mouth. However, it's best to not smoke another one ever if you can help it.

Free and Healing for One Day, 21 Hours and 8 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 4 Hours, by avoiding the use of 56 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $9.73.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
(male)

davhamer HB User

Still going!

Free and Healing for Four Days, 17 Hours and 59 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 142 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $24.58.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
(female)

DannDees HB User

way to go..you made it through the hard days , it will only get better from here..keep it up..If you never pick up a cig again, you will ever have to go through those 4 days ever again..

Old 08-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
(male)

davhamer HB User

I think I have it beat. Even forgot to take one of the pills to no effect.

Thanks for the support in this forum.

Free and Healing for Sixteen Days, 3 Hours and 2 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 484 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $83.51.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:24 AM   #10
(female)

liz3521 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Started Chantix now on day 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamer View Post
I think I have it beat. Even forgot to take one of the pills to no effect.

Thanks for the support in this forum.

Free and Healing for Sixteen Days, 3 Hours and 2 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 484 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $83.51.
WOW! 16 days! That is incredible! I wonder how bad the cravings are when you stop the Chantix? I thought I'd stay on it for a month before trying to get off. I'm on day 10 and still thinking about how much I enjoyed smoking. I don't want to go back to day 1 so I will continue my quit, but when will I stop obsessing?
liz

Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
(female)

DannDees HB User

Hi liz, I was also0 so obsessed with cigs and my quit that I felt like I was crazy. This will pass. I still crave today but only at trigger moments. After eating is the big one. The craving is forgot about in about 3 seconds. Today is 31 days for me and I am here to promise you that it gets so much easier. Get nuts and chew on them they are good for you and help alo..stay strong you are doing incredible..

Old 09-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
(female)

Donna5 HB User

does chantix really work that well?
Donna

Old 09-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #13
(female)

emmku HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna5 View Post
does chantix really work that well?
Donna
hi donna,
everyone is different but for me chantix works great with the quitting smoking. after i was on chantix for about a week everytime i had a cigarette it tasted so disgusting that i just dropped them. now for the side effects. keep in mind everyone is different but from what i have been through the nausea is worst. even the mention of food made me sick to my stomach. i didnt eat too much for a few days but then i heard that many people cut the 1mg pills in half and took half a pill 4 times a day. that seems to work for me, so far.
the most important thing to remember is that you will still crave the cigarettes but in my case the taste was so disgusting that it overpowered the cravings.
i also found that this website helps a lot for support.
good luck with quitting and remember to stay strong. its hard at first but everyday it gets better.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
(male)

davhamer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz3521 View Post
WOW! 16 days! That is incredible! I wonder how bad the cravings are when you stop the Chantix? I thought I'd stay on it for a month before trying to get off. I'm on day 10 and still thinking about how much I enjoyed smoking. I don't want to go back to day 1 so I will continue my quit, but when will I stop obsessing?
liz
Well, the cravings came back a little after stoping the pills. But, it was nothing like quiting with no help. After about a week or so after stoping the chantix, the cravings have basically gone away. They do come back from time to time, but I just remind myself that I am a non-smoker now. If you stop the chantix and the cravings are unbearable, I would say get a continuation for another 28 days from your doctor. I'm going to be honest, I don't think I'll ever stop thinking about smoking. After all it is a chemical addiction. Like losing a family member, you obsess about it at first, then time dulls the pain. You never forget them, but you still think of them from time to time. I still think about smoking from time to time, but, once again, I remind myself that I don't do that anymore. I just take a DEEP BREATH, and feel how good that feels. (taking a DEEP BREATH without the wheeze. hahaha).

Keep it up, you can do it.

Free and Healing for One Month, Three Days, 19 Hours and 34 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 15 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1044 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $180.43.

Last edited by davhamer; 09-19-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

naturemomma816 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamer View Post
Free and Healing for One Month, Three Days, 19 Hours and 34 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 3 Days and 15 Hours, by avoiding the use of 1044 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $180.43.
davhamer,
This is the greatest post I have seen, too funny. I liked it so much I printed it and put it on my fridge! It's so true - that's what I love about it. I think sometimes we forget the facts when the cravings become very strong, so thanks for the reality check/reminder/fridge art.

Everyone,
I quit smoking 2 weeks ago, at times it is a major struggle, I would like to know when this will pass. When will I stop feeling like this is some form of OCD? I am completely obsesed at times. I have slipped 2 times in the past few weeks (tried not to beat myself for it). I had a few drags and put it out because it tasted so vile. So, why do I keep craving this crap - when I know it will only taste like crap? And the strange thing is, I went to a party this past weekend (where everyone was smoking) and didn't even want to smoke. Crazy huh?

I hear a lot of people discribing how they barely ever think of smoking and how wonderful life is.... I want/need that. I have also changed all my patterns. In the morning I would go outside, enjoy my garden and a cigarette. Now I longer go outside in the morning. I have also changed many other habbits. When will life return to normal? Any advice would be helpful. Until then I'll just keep staring at the fridge. lol.

Good luck everyone and thanks!!
naturemomma

Closed Thread