It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
(female)

golfmom01 HB User
Question scared of not being able to quit

I just got my Chantix and I'm too nervous to start taking it. Been smoking for about 35 years. Wanting to having elective surgery done, but he want do it unless I quit smoking first. I guess I'm afraid of failing. My husband quit over a year ago, but still uses the gum constantly. I've been trying for 2 days to cut back and even that's hard to do! Any suggestions

Old 08-17-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: scared of not being able to quit

Welcome golfmom01, You sound exactly like I did 5 months ago! First of all the apprehension is normal. You are deciding to give up something that has been your constant companion for about 35 years! What will you do?! You will live longer and you will feel better. It is time to ditch the demon! Some days will be easy, some not so easy but doable. If you really want to quit nicotine for good aided by the Chantix you can. Read thru my past posts and alot of other sucess stories here and you will see. Follow the instructions especially about eating and drinking with the med and you will see how it works over the course of the first 7 days. It works differently for everyone and my experience was wonderful. I smoked as long as you did, 1-2 packs a day. I have been smoke free for 5 months and 4 days and have been off the Chantix since May 6th. I had surgery also and was able to quit prior to it and healing was alot faster. Familiarize youself with nicotine withdrawal symtoms so you know what to expect and not freak out. Some experience withdrawal worse than others. I cut way down on the cigs before my quit day and feel withdrawal was not as severe for me. I could go on and on but I will wait until you start the med so you get a feel for it and then just answer questions you have. I hope you have a successful quit and pleasant experience with Chantix. I will be cheering for you! You are going to love being a non smoker!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

golfmom01 HB User
Smile Re: scared of not being able to quit

thanks for having confidence in me! I hopefully will start the Chandix the first of the week. I know for my health, especially with the diabetes, I will feel much better in the long run. I am also overweight and pray I don't turn to eating. I am able to say with pride that I gave up drinking as I am a recovering alcoholic 6yrs and 9months ago without a relapse. I pray I will be able to do the same with the smoking. I'm tired of it and not wanting to quit just because of the surgery.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
(female)

golfmom01 HB User

Morning Velveeta!
I keep rereading your reply with great interest! how much did you cut down prior to starting Chantix? I'm going to try that method and see how I feel before starting. I'm sure I will become very irritable and hard to live with for awhile!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Congrats on your sobriety, You will do just fine, if you want to quit you will, the chantix helps alot. like velveeta said you will feel so much better. We are here for you.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
(male)

This Time HB User

Hey Golfmom - I wouldn't worry about cutting down as much as starting the Chantix. The way the drug worked for me was to remove the "edge" from quitting smoking. I haad tried to quit previously and felt like I was a raw nerve waiting to explode at times. The Chantix freed me of that. I say as a joke, but also mean it - it's a miracle. There are still cravings at times, but they are considerablly minor to going it cold turkey. Also, follow the directions for the medicine. Smoke during the first week. I even suggest that you allow yourself one of two cigs on your quit day...make them late in that day. It is really strange that smoking them does nothing for you. The Chantix has your nicotine receptors in your brain activated fully, so you get nothing out of smoking a cig. Once you convince yourself of that, there is no gain in smoking a cig. Now...I must say, I am still on the medicine. It has been 3 weeks and I am doing really good. I plan to stay on it at least 8 weeks and perhaps 12. I also have read quite a bit about weaning off the Chantix instead of quitting it cold turkey...but we'll get to that later. Go for it - What do you have to lose? (Like I have said in other posts - it is a mind game more than a physical addiction. Get your mind on the stop smoking side and keep it there. The mind can accomplish may wonderful things and this will make you stonger, happier and healthier in many ways.)

Old 08-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
(female)

velveeta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmom01 View Post
Morning Velveeta!
I keep rereading your reply with great interest! how much did you cut down prior to starting Chantix? I'm going to try that method and see how I feel before starting. I'm sure I will become very irritable and hard to live with for awhile!
I did not feel too cranky. That was the best part of taking the Chantix. It afforded me a little peace will I was running away from the nicodemon. Cut down like if you smoke in the car, stop. The Chantix will help you cut back. It did for me anyway. Besides they tasted nastier after about 4 days on the meds. Good luck to ya!!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
(female)

golfmom01 HB User

I just read an article online with quit smoking "suggestions"...one that really got to me was to put your last cigarette butts in a jar of water and when you felt the urge to smoke, open it and just smell it........sorta made me sick thinking about how even a ashtray bothers me sometimes....

Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Theres an Idea, that would indeed make you sick. I am at my Sisters house in California and her and her husband still smoke and just going out into the garage where they smoke stinks like hell, I had to put my hand over my nose, I told my Sister how bad it stunk from the cigarettes and she said she did not smell any thing, wow what a difference being a non smoker.

Closed Thread