It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User
Question questions about after you quit

My Husband , my daughter and myself all went hrough Hypnosis seperately to quit smoking. we all think it's magnificant. Cost was pretty hig as he wasn't one of the seminar people who does 50 people at once. None of us ahve wanted one since. We have all had alot of stress in our lives since and still haven't picked one up to compensate. Questions: My daughter seems to be very depressed and crying alot since she quit. Normal? We have all gone through the insomnia and then the sleeping constantly, it's more her mood that concerns me. Any input. Maybe a list of what to expect symptom wise for maybe the first couple of months.

ICC

Old 08-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
(female)

DannDees HB User
Re: questions about after you quit

Hi congrats on your familys quit. I am only afew weeks into my quit and I did get depressed for awhile and somedays still feel like it. I had alot of other things happen also but I was on chantix so not sure what was the med and what was w/d from cig. how long has it been sice her last cig?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Morning Dee.....Last cig for all of us was 8/4. so it's been 16 days today. I remember one of my past quits crying all the time for weeks. I didn't want to be around anyone, talk and was sooooooo very miserable. We have talked about this and have all realized that we have started again in the past thinking the smoking would ease some of the tension BUT in reality the problem is still there. She is having a hard time at work right now, argueing with my husband alot, not happy with her personal life so I think maybe a transition is in the works and she is uncomfortable with it or maybe even grieving the past????????? The first week she was thrilled. really up. slept well, had great days and then all of a sudden the second week it all came crashing down. Sound normal???

ICC

Old 08-20-2007, 05:05 AM   #4
(female)

Liz74 HB User

I was very "sulky" the first few weeks but it went away. If it's really bad she could try some antidepressants just to get her through the withdrawl, but some of them take several weeks to take effect so by the time she feels the effect the withdrawl could be finished. If she's not badly craving or at risk to start up again she might be better of just trying to ride it out since most drugs have side effects.

I've heard of people doing hypnosis and glad it worked for all of you.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Hi Liz...no cravings for any of us so I do think it's part of withdrawal. Her thyroid was over active when she was younger and she has all the symptoms of it being under active now. Has had the symptoms for about a month now. I have read before that sometimes when women quit smoking it wacks their thyroid out and sinc ehers already is I think this could be par t of the problem.

ICC

Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

ICC,

How have you been,I remember you from a year ago,congrats on the guitiing,awesome job.I've been smoke free since JUne 30th.

Nicotine withdrawl effects all of us differently,even though its been 16 days ot may take your daughter longer to adjust.

Hopefully your daughter will get her thyroid checked.Its great you're doing it as a family.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hi nuffs...glad to hear you're smoke free. Great job! I am on my probably my 5-6th quit. Totally different this time. Nice that we all did it. It makes it so much easier. All of my other quits i lived with 2 smokers and worked with 20. Haven't worked in over a year since i was injured at work so don't have that to contend with. Daughter has an appt Wed night to see the PCP. I'm sure he'll do blood again as she has several symptoms of under active thyroid. I agree that it hits us all differently. I was only depressed once out of all those quits. The nice part about the hypnosis is that you don't crave them. Once in a while the first few days we all had a thought of cigs once or twice a day but it went away very quickly. Now 16 days late I don't even get the thoguhts anymore. I highly recommend it. You have to want to as with all methods but I found this to be the easiest for me.

ICC

Old 08-20-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
(female)

DannDees HB User

hmm. it must all depend on who hypnotizes you cause I left the office went straight to store to buy cigs. I am so glad it works for some..I have lost sooo much money on promises to help me quit and nothing worked but the chantix and willpower. as for your daughter, my prayers r with her. Be very careful when it comes to pills..I research everything now before I swallow it..

Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

that's really cool that hypnosis helped you quit.

about your daughter. if it's her thyroid i'm sure she will get on proper meds to make it level. and if she is just going through something about withdrawing from the nicotine, then over time it will get better. i know myself, i have quit now for a while and i just baby myself and expect to have bad days. it's okay to have ups and downs when you are going through a withdrawl. think of people who are in rehab and what they go through. are we any different really?

someone needs to make a proper rehab center for nicotine!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

ICC

I went in to see a Dr. for post operative depression, which I knew may happen. I was prescribed cymbalta. When my Dr. found out that I had quit smoking when I had the surgery he also prescribed wellbutrin. He explained it to me this way. Nicotine effects the seratonin receptors, so when you quit smoking, you need to make your seratonin go further, ergo wellbutrin. If your daughter wants to try something homeopathic, she can try St. John's Wart or Melatonin. I am very happy with the wellbutrin.

Closed Thread