It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

suz79 HB User
New quit plan

Well none of the nicotine replacements seem to be workin for me so i spoke to my heart doctor about takin the quit smokin pills and he gave me zyban i did some research and it says that it's not as good as chatix but i don't think we have that here and the only one i can use is this one! it works the same way i think you start takin one tablet for a week while you still smoke then you stop smokin and take 2 tablets. so im gonna start takin it next monday cause the monday after that i have to go into hospital for a Leetz (LEEP) and need to atay overnight and there is no way i can smoke in hospital so i wont be tempted to light up, just hope i don't get the nasty side effects like vomitin or nausea

Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
(female)

DannDees HB User
Re: New quit plan

GOOD LUCK THIS TIME AROUND BUT R U SURE YOU ARE READY. i WANTED TO NOT SMOKE FOR LONG TIME BUT IT TOOK UNTIL i WAS SO DETERMINED TO DO IT BEFORE i REALLY DID IT. The chantix did help alot but I still wanted to smoke so it doesn't matter what you use until you are determined to win at all cost , nothing will make you quit. good luck again and get strong. You can do it when you really really want to...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

suz79 HB User

Yeah i want to quit my heart is pretty stable at the moment so don't wanna do anything to get it worse and smokin will eventually make it worse. Bein in hospital will make it a lot easier to do it 2 there is no way i can sneak out for a smoke cause it is a total smoke free zone don't think im gonna wanna go anywhere after the surgery anyway gonna be 2 sore so it will make the first day a lot easier. Who knows i may even quit before then i've been told that some people feel sick when lightin up after day 4 so i may even not feel like a smoke sometime before then. Is zyban the same as chantix????

Old 08-21-2007, 03:03 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Suz,

Good luck on your quit. The zyban will work very well, but only if you believe it will. There is no smoking cessation aide that will work without your faith that it will and commitment to the life change. If you do not have faith in zyban and think that Chantix is the best, guess what! It is available in the UK under the name Champix. They are very similar in that they work on the nicotine receptors in the brain, fooling it into thinking it has already had a dose of nicotine. Which ever you choose, remember to drink plenty of water, practice deep breathing, find some things to occupy your free time, change some of your routines. You will find that it is the littlest things that will sneak up on you.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

suz79 HB User

Im not in the uk im in Australia dunno what is available here but have been given the zyban by my heart doctor so i guess it is the best thing for me to use. Considering it's gonna cost me $70 plus i will be quitting this time, there is no way im gonna spend so much money just to take the habit up again. It will have to work cause while im in the hospital i will not be able to smoke so it should make it a heck of a lot easier when i have no temptations it will work this time cause i want it 2 im sick of tryin to do it it's just gotta be done. I can't believe how hard it is im a very determined person but a stick has more power over me than i have over my body ridicolous isn't it oh well fingers crossed maybe it will work in a few days and i can quit the stinkin habit earlier

Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Suz - I use the zyban (wellbutrin) and love it! My Dr. prescribed it for me when I went in for depression after surgery. When I told him that I had quit smoking, he said that I needed the wellbutrin also. I had been cold turkey for 8 weeks before I started taking it, so I was already past some of the worst things, but it was really adding to my depression. I really wish you all the best on your quit.

PS - If you get a chance, ask your Dr. if Champix is available in Australia too. I was under the impression, probably mistakenly, that medical trials and medications in UK and Europe were shared (for lack of a better term) with Australia.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

phone a pharmacy and see if they carry champix... it's so new alot of doctors might now even know about it yet, one of mine didnt. make him look it up. according to the net it's available in austrialia under the name champix. -- that is what mine is called -

CHAMPIX verenicline tartrate tablets

i've done zyban & champix. zyban did help me quit in almost the same way chantix did but i had some bad side effects with the zyban and now i have to take hypertension pills for the rest of my life. starting at age 30 when i was otherwise very heathy. i was one of the people that should not have been taking it though. so make sure you have no seizure disorders, eating disorders, blah blah blah. your doctor should realize this if he gave it to you in the first place knowing if you are at risk or not, since he did i doubt you are.

take care and keep trying!!! you will find your niche and it will work!

Last edited by PumpkinSeed; 08-21-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

suz79 HB User

Yeah there is a cheaper version of the Zyban dunno what it's called but my doctor said that i needed a letter from a quit organisation to say that i was talkin to someone. Got quit to send a letter but it's not here yet and the doctors are booked out until Mondayand because my surgery is next Monday i don't have time to be waitin for it, i need to be takin it for a week before i go into hospital or it will be a waste of time being on it.
Is a week enough? Was gonna start takin it Sunday so that i will have been on it for a week when i go in on Monday mornin but im thinkin maybe i should start takin it earlier just in case it hasn't kicked in by the Monday it does say to quit some time durin the second week

Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Suz,

The whole thing is, if you believe a week is enough it will be enough. If you believe 2 days is enough, that will be enough. You can succeed at a quit with or without the zyban. It is only an aide to make your quit a little easier on you. There is no magic pill that will make you quit. In the end it is all you. You push past the withdrawl. You breathe through a craving. You reward yourself for milestones. You quit. You are the non-smoker! I know YOU will do it.

Last edited by bwitht; 08-22-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

suz79 HB User

Well i started takin it yesterday am sick of the cost of smokes especially when i paid a ton of money for the zyban. So far no side effects except i had a bit of trouble gettin to sleep last night and woke up once durin the night i can take 2 sleepin tablets but am gonna see first it might just be cause i've got bronchitis again. am gonna quit after a week unless the smokes start tastin horrid cause i don't want my depression gettin worse again. I was horrible to be around last time im not smokin as much as i used to anyways so maybe i can keep cuttin down until i quit i dunno depends how stessfulll the day is. The chemist said to smoke right thru and quit on the 8th day

Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
(female)

velveeta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwitht View Post
Suz,

The whole thing is, if you believe a week is enough it will be enough. If you believe 2 days is enough, that will be enough. You can succeed at a quit with or without the zyban. It is only an aide to make your quit a little easier on you. There is no magic pill that will make you quit. In the end it is all you. You push past the withdrawl. You breathe through a craving. You reward yourself for milestones. You quit. You are the non-smoker! I know YOU will do it.
Amen Sister

Old 08-24-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Suz,

Good going, you have taken the first step. I would not worry about whether to keep smoking, or cut down, or whatever. Just try not to think about it and only light up when you want one. If you smoke less in a day OK! If not, OK. Day 8, here you come. I am pulling for you!

Velveeta,

Gee, wasn't it only yesterday, when I was asking for encouragement? Thanks to everyone here, I am 3 month, 3 week, 4 day, 22 hr, 28 min quit.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
(female)

velveeta HB User

bwitht, It is that long already!! You are doing great, I bet it looks good on you too!!!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

suz79 HB User

well am on day 4 now and 2day is the day i up the dose to 2 tablets a day. so far no side effects stil havin trouble gettin to sleep but i always have had trouble cause of the heart condition not lookin forward to the day i have to stop i really want to but they have such a hold over me i can't believe how much a stick of smokin tobacco runs my life it is totally unreal.
Ah well im gonna do it no matter what have no choice need to be quit before surgery and need to for my health issues aswell. I'm stressed out a lot lately cause of this surgery scared of what the results will be really need to stop stressin about it or my health is gonna go down hill again oh boy wish i didn't have so much on my plate would make this whole quittin thing a lot easier

Old 08-26-2007, 06:54 AM   #15
(female)

Teiger HB User

Hi suz! Sorry I have not been on here too much recently but life gets busy. I am proud of you for quitting and I know that it is so hard especially when you have other stressers in your life. Quitting before surgery is important for sure. I could not believe how much the cigs had control over my life too. I look back and everything I did mostly revolved around it and when I could not have them, omg I was not a happy Karen. But now that I have quit and have some time under my belt, I am a healthier Karen and I am happy for that. You keep up the good work hon.

Karen

I have been quit for 1 Year, 11 Months, 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 11 hours, 54 minutes and 25 seconds (716 days). I have saved $5,731.96 by not smoking 28,659 cigarettes. My Quit Date: 9/8/2005 9:00 PM

Closed Thread