It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

rebelyell HB User
Question just got Chantix presciption

Hello to all ! I'm new and I need advise on preparing to start on Chantix. I've smoked for more years than I care to count and I want and need to stop.
My health is at risk if I don't and I'm tired of being "controled" by cigs!
any and all suggestions and experiences in the beginning of this journey will be appreciated!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
(female)

smokefree0901 HB User
Re: just got Chantix presciption

I'm new here, too. Just started Chantix on Saturday (day 3 now) and although I'm still smoking I've read here where it can take awhile for the urge to quit to begin. My quit day is Sept 1 and I'm nervous too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
(male)

davhamer HB User

When I started Chantix, I still smoked until I got to the blue pills. The chantix dulls the withdraw symptoms when you quit. But the mental urge to smoke is still there. That is where the willpower kicks in. The pills make it easier to just say, "I'm not going to smoke right now!" One suggestion, make sure you follow the instructions and drink 8oz of water and eat something before you take the pill. Once you quit, try to stay that way. You can do it.

The Chantix helps, it does not do it all. Ultimately, YOU have to make the decision to quit. The Chantix does a great job of taking the edge off.

I have quit before and now quiting again. I can honestly say that with the Chantix, I think I will finally succeed and quit for good.

Free and Healing for Four Days, 17 Hours and 59 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 142 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $24.58.

Last edited by davhamer; 08-20-2007 at 08:25 AM.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

How long did you quit the first time? I also quit for 3 months before I started back again and I am quitting again, it has been 3 weeks so far and I plan on this time being the last time.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
(female)

GramaD4Deb HB User

Several of my friends and family have tried Chantix and so far it is working for them. I am going to pick up presc tomorrow. Only complaint from one is weird dreams and a couple others about nausea. I hope and pray this works I have tried everything else over and over. (The bad thing is I recently got terminated from my phlebotomist job of 11 years because after cervical fusion I was unable to do my job. I could still come up for excuses to smoke). I quit for 3 weeks after the surgery (april) but then I caved again. Dang dang dang. I hope and pray this works for you too.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:20 AM   #6
(female)

rebelyell HB User

thanks for the advice! I have never ever really quit before...only cut down alot when pregnant 18 years ago. Having surgery in early October and doctor said he wouldn't do it if I was smoking !!! never had a surgeon tell me that before with my other surgeries !
yesterday I smoked to many in a row they started tasting horrible. does the Chantix do that?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

yes, the chantix made the cigs taste nasty to me. i found that i was only smoking because the cigs were here, and it was habit, period!
i am smoke free for 11 days today, and still on chantix. i do get the occasional craving a couple times a day still, but it is easy not to act on it.
good luck, if i can do it anyone can! .........bevann

Old 08-22-2007, 04:46 AM   #8
(female)

golfmom01 HB User

congratulations on your 11 days! I haven't started on Chantix yet, but I hope that they start to taste horrible to me as well. I'm still deciding on a quit date. Very nervous!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

hi where did you get the counter that counts the days you got back to live? lol.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
(female)

liz3521 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeed View Post
hi where did you get the counter that counts the days you got back to live? lol.
Let me know how you are doing. I am on day 8 of Chantix, but it's my first day with no smoking. It's all I think about when I'm home, so I am going to try to stay busy for the next 3 days. I don't think it will be much fun.
I find the Chantix makes me a bit foggy, but I'd rather feel like that than feel the anxiety over wanting to smoke.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
(female)

liz3521 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell View Post
Hello to all ! I'm new and I need advise on preparing to start on Chantix. I've smoked for more years than I care to count and I want and need to stop.
My health is at risk if I don't and I'm tired of being "controled" by cigs!
any and all suggestions and experiences in the beginning of this journey will be appreciated!
I just finished the first week of Chantix. When I smoked, the cigarettes didn't taste like they used to and I thought that would make it easier to quit. Now that I am working on day one with no smoking, I can see that it is going to take a lot of willpower, but I'm glad I have the Chantix to take care of some of it. It's better than nothing! Let me kwow how you are doing.
Good luck and congratulations for deciding to quit.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #12
(female)

STELLA1970 HB User

This is the first time I've been on this site. I am using Chantix, along with other members of my family - we've all had it with the smoking. My quite day was 4 days ago, I am still not smoking and hope to never smoke again. I hated the power cigarettes had on me and never want to be under that again. Good luck to you, and all the other people I have been reading on this site!!

Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #13
(female)

smokefree0901 HB User

Well, I'm on day 12 of Chantix and still smoking. Saturday is my quit date and I hope to God something kicks in otherwise this will be hard as hell. No strange dreams, no nausea, just fatigue. I had such high hopes for this medication. I swear I wonder if I got a placebo or something.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 AM   #14
(female)

shan33 HB User

I am on my 9th day and still smoking. i am getting nervous that i havent quit yet.my quit dat is in 3 days. I hope i'm ready by then.its nice to know that atleast someone else out there didn't quit in 3 days like most of the people writing...good luck to you:

Old 09-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #15
(female)

liz3521 HB User
Smile Re: just got Chantix presciption

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan33 View Post
I am on my 9th day and still smoking. i am getting nervous that i havent quit yet.my quit dat is in 3 days. I hope i'm ready by then.its nice to know that atleast someone else out there didn't quit in 3 days like most of the people writing...good luck to you:
Are you on Chantix? If so, your cigarettes are probably not tasting as good as they used to. The Chantix will help you deal with the cravings if you let it. Good luck to you as you begin your quit. I know you can do it. I didn't think I had any willpower, but the Chantix really helped me. I am 10 days smoke free now!!

Closed Thread