It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

mt_deb HB User
Hi everyone I'm Debbie I think I need reassurance (chicken that I am )

I'm Debbie and I started taking Chantix on Tuesday. Felt okay and then last I felt very sick. Then I started reading all this really scary stuff about folks being very sick even after being off the Chantix for quite some time. So now I have managed to scare myself and didn't take it this morning. I think sometimes the internet can be my worst enemy. I really want to do this but now I am so scared about developing the joint pain amongst other things I read. I could deal with it if I knew it went away but these folks say even after 7 months they still have it. I guess I just need to keep reading the success stories here and stop making myself crazy. I so want to be smoke free. I'm such a big chicken !

Anyway, I am happy that I found the board and look forward to meeting you all

Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
(female)

DannDees HB User
Re: Hi everyone I'm Debbie I think I need reassurance (chicken that I am )

my muscles and skin hurts but I will take this any day over the bondage of cigs... Maybe peoples joints hurt because they start doing more moving since they can breathe better. I don't know. I only know that the chantix was the only thing that ever worked for me and I literally tried everything..steno should be here shortly to make better sense of it for you. I just wanted to post real quick so ya know we are here for ya!!! good luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Mornin', Deb

Ahhhh ... side effects, horror stories. I know, I know. I read them, too.

I still have mild knee pain. I quit smoking in May, quit Chantix in June. Honestly, who knows if it's from the Chantix? So far, I've read it could be from:

The nicotine receptor(s) that Chantix binds to have some correlation with pain receptors for some who take it.

Nicotine masks arthritis, among other things. Evidently one of those 4,000 chemicals in a cigarette is an anesthetic so you don't feel lots of things that would make a nonsmoker go to a doctor.

Lethargy = aches and pains. Most folks quitting go through a period of total exhaustion, of zero motivation to do anything. Sitting around doing nothing is not good for joints and muscles. Ever nurse a stiff neck by laying in bed all day? Ends up much worse.

What I kept going back to with the joint pain was folks who quit cold turkey often get achy for a while. Some folks who take Chantix have no joint pain at all.

It's REALLY unfortunate, but I just don't get the feeling from my medical providers that researching smokers' aches and pains are a high priority for pharma and the medical community. It seems very much accepted to trade lung cancer, stroke or heart attack for a sore joint or two. This is what I'm hearing and feeling from my physicians, friends, family & online support.

I had joint pain while I took Chantix, as well as after. I also had severe nausea. I was only able to take a full milligram at a time during that first week when I finally put the smokes down. After that, I had to break them in half and take them four times a day with a meal and plenty of water. I would still take Chantix again having been through it. People live long, happy lives with a sore knee, hip or elbow. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer last October. She was 52. She'd smoked in her 20s for about ten years. That was enough to do it in her case. She died last month. She didn't even make it a year.

You can't assume you're going to get a side effect from Chantix, quitting smoking or a combination of both. And if you do end up with one, 95 percent of the time, it's tolerable and manageable. We just can't say that about the side effects of smoking, you know?

Try not to scare yourself, and be sure to talk with your physician who's prescribing it to you!

Best of luck

Old 08-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

Steno, Awesome post!! I agree whole heartedly!! Hope you are well and doing great. I am!

Old 08-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
(female)

mt_deb HB User

Thank you everyone , I agree velvetta. Steno that was so inspiring and just makes SO much sense, thank you. I will let you all know how it goes.

Closed Thread