It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User
really really worried.

i am having wicked gas from taking chantix. it's so bad i feel short of breath. i decided to look up 'gas' and the drug on the internet and came upon a site about the drug, and people on there are like, saying once they quit they got so sick, their livers are screwed up they have breathing problems, joint problems, they know people who have died, etc etc.

i am on my third week and i want to stop. i'm so scared i'm having an anxiety attack. i don't know what to do. i never want to take it again.

is there anyone here who stopped and isn't dying of some horrible liver/swelling/breathing/blood pressure problem?!!!!!!

eek!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: really really worried.

I have taken Chantix, quit smoking and gotten off Chantix and I am a okay!! No life threatening illness that I know of. Calm down and talk to your doc!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
(male)

tomjayc HB User

Relax. I used Chantix and am glad that I did. Someone before on this site suggested that you quit taking it gradually. That's what I did. I was only taking one pill in the morning because of the insomnia. From their I cut the pill in half and only took half every day for a week or two. Then I took half a pill every other day for two weeks. I'm still living and am proud to say that for the first time in 20 year I'm nicotine free for 6 months straight.

Best of luck to you and remember.................relax and think about what life will be like when you can go a whole week without even thinking about a smoke.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
(female)

i'm so excited to have quit for 10 days now!!!

i didn't take my evening pill. the gas is SO bad lol. i really freaked myself out reading all that stuff. then i thought maybe alot of those people are hypochondriacs or something. you know? lots of meds give bad side effects.

nonetheless. i will continue and i am going to taper down too. that is an excellent idea. i don't want to start again.

i can't believe how much money i'm saving! 15 dollars a day! that adds up like you wouldn't believe. i don't want to start smoking again.

i call that stuff willpower in a bottle. i think i can really keep not smoking and cut down.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
(female)

STELLA1970 HB User

Well this is just great, now I am really really worried!!!! I hadn't heard anything like what I have just read.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
(female)

mrsb02 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
I have taken Chantix, quit smoking and gotten off Chantix and I am a okay!! No life threatening illness that I know of. Calm down and talk to your doc!
Velveeta, that is the best statement I have read yet! I will put up with sleepness nights and a little gas for a few months if it is what you need to do to stop smoking.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
(female)

PixieJen HB User

yes, relax. its ok. I freaked out too. I am fine, and very happy that i am no longer a smoker.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
(female)

well.

i'm still not smoking. i actually tapered myself off the chantix and i've been off for a week. had a couple of drags off a coworkers smoke four days ago. and that was it. it was disgusting even without the drug. i went through a stressful weekend. my son was diagnosed with graves disease, spent a night in the hospital. i ended up in emerg thinking i was having a heart attack (just anxiety) and I DID NOT BUY ONE PACK OF SMOKES!

i am so proud of myself.

i just bought a pair of beautiful curtains at pier 1 today for almost 150 bucks. never would have been able to afford that. but i have saved 300 dollars not smoking so far. i deserved them!

YOU CAN DO IT YOU GUYS!

( a sidenote to all. i went to emerg a couple of nights ago. and while i was waiting in the area for the doc to come see me they brought in a woman in critical condition. she honest to god looked like tammy faye did before she died, must have been around 70lbs. spoke with a faint whisper. had to be given oxygen. i overheard through the curtain divider the doctor interviewing her. he asked her if she smoked. SHE SAID YES SHE DID! i couldn't believe it! i honestly wanted to tell her about chantix but she was basically dying. if that didn't pound the truth into me, i dont know what would. how sad addiction is. and how lucky we are to have found the strength to quit while we are healthy and not hooked up to air machines and emaciated with horrific health problems. )

Closed Thread