It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
(female)

charm34 HB User
Chantix and Nausea

Hello,

This is my 2nd week on Chantix and I notice right after I take my pill I feel nauseated, a lot and it remains with me throughout the day just not as bad as when I first consume the meds.

I was at the gym tonight and working on weights seemed to aggravate the nausea more. I am active and spend approx. 4-5 days at the gym.

I wondered how long this nausea stays with you? Its become harder to eat as well. Will it b elike this the whole time I am on this medication because I can see that being a problem. I hope not because this works better then anything I have ever tried.

Please advise. Is it the nausea that causes us to want to quit, was the pill meant to do this?

Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
(female)

liz3521 HB User
Re: Chantix and Nausea

Hello Charm.
I am also on my 2nd week of Chantix and have had to reduce my dosage to one pill a day. I don't feel sick to my stomach, but I'm so bloated that I feel full and uncomfortable most of the day. I am so grateful that there is such a pill to help me quit so I'm sticking with it. I'm only taking it after work now so I won't feel so uncomfortable during the day. Everyone is different and it affects people in many different ways or not at all. Keep up the good work with your quit. You can do it, just find the right time of day to take your pill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 04:09 AM   #3
(male)

tomjayc HB User

You will feel nausea if you don't eat or drink when taking the pill. Drink a lot of liquid AND eat something when you take your pill. Nausea is not how Chantix helps you quit, it's just a bad side effect if you don't take it with a little food and water. Good luck guys..

Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Charm, I had the nausea something awful. It didn't matter how much I ate, what I ate, milk, no milk, taking the pill right after a meal, a little while after or during the meal. It's listed as a side effect, so it stands to reason some will suffer from it.

I would not have been able to stay on Chantix with how the nausea was affecting me. Luckily, I read on these boards that some were having success with splitting their pills in half and taking them four times a day instead of two whole pills twice a day. Remember to take even a half with a meal and plenty of water!

This absolutely did the trick for me. The nausea was still there once in a while, but it was short-lasting and tolerable. I also personally much preferred taking several small "blasts" of Chantix throughout the day as opposed to only two big doses. I swear, I think it helped my cravings being able to take a little bit of Chantix right after lunch and before bedtime.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to speak with your physician and let him or her know.

Best of luck

Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Charm I also get nauseated when I take Chantix but I have learned to take it with food and lots of liquid, I do still get a little nauseaus but it does not last that long, Steno is right it is a side effect so is headaches and I get those sometimes, but I am not giving up the pill it works and I can tolerate the side effects. I do take a whole pill in the morning and 1 at night. You may want to try taking half the 4 times a day as steno suggested it may work better for you. I also get bloated and hate it but if thats the worst thing I can live with it.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
(female)

charm34 HB User

Oh my gosh, I have neve been so bloated before! Its awful, not even sucking it in helps. I didn't know this was a side effect. Does anyone know how long this will last or anyway to help it. Nothing fits and of course I am going to Chicago for vacation tomorrow and feel horrible about the way I look. Please, please advise.
Thanks for all your feedback and I will try the pill cut in half 4 times a day. Great advice.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

The bloating lasted for me until about a week after I took my last pill. Thank goodness I had several shorts and pants with elastic waistbands!

Keep in mind, the bloating could be a combination of many things, too. Chantix and quitting can cause constipation in folks, so we're always encouraged to eat plenty of fiber to keep this at bay. Fiber can cause bloat

Sugar-free gums and candies contain artificial sweeteners that cause gas and bloat -- sometimes severe.

I don't know if I can post it here, but there's a list for doctors and a list for patients of the side effects of Chantix. Try and get your hands on the one for doctors. The one for patients lists only a few things. You should be able to get it from a pharmacist or you can definitely get it from Pfizer's website. It was much more informative than the patient information.

Good luck!

P.S. Have a wonderful time on vacation, and try not to stress about the bloat! It should only be temporary until you're finished with the med.

Last edited by StenoLady1; 08-31-2007 at 05:46 AM.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
(female)

jellybean3009 HB Userjellybean3009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charm34 View Post
Oh my gosh, I have neve been so bloated before! Its awful, not even sucking it in helps. I didn't know this was a side effect. Does anyone know how long this will last or anyway to help it. Nothing fits and of course I am going to Chicago for vacation tomorrow and feel horrible about the way I look. Please, please advise.
Thanks for all your feedback and I will try the pill cut in half 4 times a day. Great advice.

charm34, I can sympathize with you. I too am bloated like I'm 9mos pregnant! It's miserable. My clothes don't fit and I have gained 6 lbs in one week. I am on day 10 of Chantix and still have cravings for a cigarette just like before I started the pills. Plus, I am STILL smoking. I thought Chantix made you NOT WANT to smoke. If all it takes is willpower, why do we need Chantix? I guess they don't work the same for everybody. I am so disgusted with myself AND Chantix.

Last edited by jellybean3009; 08-31-2007 at 08:57 AM. Reason: sentence missing

Old 08-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
(female)

PixieJen HB User

When I started Chantix I was bloated too. Of course you still want to smoke. What chantix does is make it so you don't get anything from the cigarette, meaning you're not getting your nicotene fix. It can't stop the cravings, thats all in your head. You have to want to quit.
I have been smoke free for 55 days. I cut down my dose- after i started taking the 2 blue pills each day I was really nauseas and really irritable and really bloated. SO I started taking just one a day and then went down to half a pill a day and I am fine. I am still smoke free and happy, and much less irritable then when i started, and not bloated at all. However I got sick last week and stopped taking them, so i haven't taken a pill in about 5 days. (my mood is way better too)

Stick with it and keep your spritis up.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
(female)

emmku HB User
Smile Re: Chantix and Nausea

i just joined this site because i am having reactions to chantix. as i am sitting here my fiance is eating and i got so upset. i am so nauseaous that i cant even stand the sight or even the mention of food and i have been this way for 3 days. i have been on chantix for a week and a half and started out great, but on the day that i quit smoking i started to get nauseaous. i like to eat. there is no way i can go for the next 10 weeks only eating once a day.
is there anyone with any advise?

Old 08-31-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
(male)

davhamer HB User

I had the nauseaous problem when I first started the pills. I found that if I eat a little something before I take the pill, and be sure to drink alot of water when I take the pill, it's not nearly as bad. I have heard of some people cutting the pills in half to help with the nausea. Take half in the morning, half at lunch, half afternoon, half evening. You should ask doctor though.

The pills do work. I've tried to quit cold turkey, with patches and with the pills. MUCH easier with the pills. You just have to take that first step and quit. You need the willpower to make that first step even on the pills. They won't make you quit. You have to want to quit. Those first three days aren't a cakewalk, but are musch easier with the chantix. The habit is harder to kick than the addiction.

---Free and Healing for Sixteen Days, 3 Hours and 2 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 484 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $83.51.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
(female)

emmku HB User

when does this bloated thing start? i havent had that side effect yet. i talked to my doctor and she said that taking half a pill 4 times a day is ok. all i know is that this nauseaous thing has to stop. i am a small person and its difficult enough to keep at a normal weight but then to not be able to eat is really aweful. thanks go out to liz and dav for the words of wisdom. my tolerance for the pill is starting to fail but knowing that many others are having the same reactions and have gotten through them is helpful.

Last edited by emmku; 08-31-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:04 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean3009 View Post
charm34, I can sympathize with you. I too am bloated like I'm 9mos pregnant! It's miserable. My clothes don't fit and I have gained 6 lbs in one week. I am on day 10 of Chantix and still have cravings for a cigarette just like before I started the pills. Plus, I am STILL smoking. I thought Chantix made you NOT WANT to smoke. If all it takes is willpower, why do we need Chantix? I guess they don't work the same for everybody. I am so disgusted with myself AND Chantix.
Jellybean, good morning

I can only offer my experience. Chantix didn't make me "not want to smoke." I quit on day 15 of the med, and I could have just kept right on smoking if my hubby didn't give me a bit of an ultimatum.

If smokes were available, I would gladly smoke them.

Where the Chantix kicks in and becomes a real amazing quit aid is when you finally do say, "this is it," smoke your last smoke, get rid of your ashtrays, lighters and take the next step. It's really strange, but I just never went out of my mind for a smoke once I put them down. I even made a small deal with myself that "when" I'm going out of my mind for a smoke (as I did with every previous quit attempt), I'll throw in the towel; that the Chantix wasn't working right on me and/or maybe I'm just not ready.

That little discussion in my head was May 22. I never felt bad enough to go buy another pack.

My mother and best friend quit on Chantix (as did my hubby, but he had a bad experience, so I won't use him in this example), and we all agreed that the days leading up to the eventual quit date were the worst of this journey. I smoked on the med 15 days, my mother around 25 days, and my best friend <gasp> almost six weeks. We all were waiting for something to kick in for us. In our experience, it didn't. When the med really begins to work is when you put the smokes down and the med makes the cravings so totally tolerable and manageable.

Best of luck & let us know how you're doing

Old 09-01-2007, 05:12 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmku View Post
when does this bloated thing start? i havent had that side effect yet. i talked to my doctor and she said that taking half a pill 4 times a day is ok. all i know is that this nauseaous thing has to stop. i am a small person and its difficult enough to keep at a normal weight but then to not be able to eat is really aweful. thanks go out to liz and dav for the words of wisdom. my tolerance for the pill is starting to fail but knowing that many others are having the same reactions and have gotten through them is helpful.
You might not have the bloat. I never had the insomnia and constipation that everyone talks about.

I really didn't know it was bloat. I thought I'd just gained weight while during my quit. Within about four or five days of quitting Chantix, I lost 13 pounds with no change to diet or exercise. So there was that bloat

Like you, there was no way I could have tolerated a full milligram for months with the nausea I was having. Seriously. And I tried everything! The half milligram worked like a charm -- but remember you still need to take it with plenty of water (I took mine with about 12-16 oz of water) and a meal. Not a cracker or something. A meal. Since I had no trouble falling to sleep on the med, the last thing I'd do every night was take my final little half and go directly to bed.

And don't forget that the package insert from Pfizer says that some may need the dosage adjusted. Please speak to your doctor about maybe taking a half twice a day or something if you feel two full milligrams is too much for you. There are many who've been successful with taking a reduced dosage for a variety of reasons.

Best of luck!

Closed Thread