It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 05:39 AM   #1
(female)

StaceyDom1 HB User
Chantix Advice - smoking even more?

Hi all. Just started taking Chantix yesterday. I've tried all the other methods and nothing has worked for me. So far, I have been smoking MORE than usual. Did this happen to anyone else in the beginning? At this point I'm assuming the increase is more psychological than due to the medication. It's almost like I am daring the medication to not be able to work.

Can anyone else share their experience with me? I am afraid that even though I have so many reasons why I want to quit, I won't be able to do so. I've tried so many times before and was unable to do so for longer than a few months. I am a nursing student and know first-hand exactly what cigarettes do to people, and I feel like a total idiot for not feeling able to kick this nasty habit.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
(male)

tomjayc HB User
Re: Chantix Advice - smoking even more?

I was doing the exact same thing. Maybe I was smoking more because I knew that I was going to be quiting soon. I kept smoking for days thinking this stuff wasn't working and then all of a sudden, the smokes tasted like crap. For a few more days after they were tasting bad I kept trying to smoke only to find out that I was getting nothing from them "the high" and they still tasted bad.

Good luck to you. You can do it!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
(female)

StaceyDom1 HB User

Thank you TomJay. I'm going to try to stay hopeful and we'll see how it goes. I'll let you know.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 AM   #4
(female)

mrsb02 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyDom1 View Post
Hi all. Just started taking Chantix yesterday. I've tried all the other methods and nothing has worked for me. So far, I have been smoking MORE than usual. Did this happen to anyone else in the beginning? At this point I'm assuming the increase is more psychological than due to the medication. It's almost like I am daring the medication to not be able to work.

Can anyone else share their experience with me? I am afraid that even though I have so many reasons why I want to quit, I won't be able to do so. I've tried so many times before and was unable to do so for longer than a few months. I am a nursing student and know first-hand exactly what cigarettes do to people, and I feel like a total idiot for not feeling able to kick this nasty habit.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
(female)

mrsb02 HB User

I am into my 2nd wk of Chantix-so far so good. I do have chest pain but attribute that to anxiety. I am a nurse too and I was always embarrassed to deal with doctors and patients smelling like a cigarette, that is my main reason for quitting.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
(female)

liz3521 HB User

I am on my second week of of Chantix and finally made it through ONE WHOLE WEEK with no cigarettes!! I was amazed how well the Chantix worked and made smoking so unsatisfying. I smoked as much as usual up until quit day and the cigarettes tasted worse and worse by the day.
The medication didn't cure the cravings, but it sure did help. There are times when I noticed that I wasn't even thinking about cigarettes. I have tried to quit before, but this time I am in it for real and don't ever want to go back!

Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #7
(female)

golfmom01 HB User

to the nurses....could you please tell me why it is so important to quit prior to surgery? and, is it okay to use the patch with nicotine in it? I have a prescription for Chantix, but I'm very "curious" about the problem with the surgery part of it. Is it the actual nicotine or something else in the cigarettes that causes problems. I've never been told before to quit with surgery...I've had a hysterectomy, total knee replacement and others and have never had anyone tell me to quit. The upcoming surgery is a tummy tuck.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
(female)

teresa1991 HB User
Smile Re: Chantix Advice - smoking even more?

Hi i am on my 5th day of champix.
i am also finding i am smoking that little bit more . but i have put it down to the fact that i am just panicking over my quit day.
so i am hoping that these tablets will work for me , i have to give it my best shot at it.
as in another post i was saying that we found out my sis has lung cancer, my dad and his sis died of it. and i think knowing my sis has it now is whayt has pushed me to do it.
so for them i must try.
let me know how you get on and i will also. we can do it if we really try x x x x

Old 09-15-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
(female)

golfmom01 HB User
Question Re: Chantix Advice - smoking even more?

today will be my 4th day on Chantix. I have also noticed I smoked more especially in the morning with my coffee! Even on the 1 pill a day, I felt "weird" and extremely tired in the early afternoon.

How late in the day does everyone usually take the 2nd pill? I have trouble sleeping anyway and I don't want to make it worse.

Closed Thread