It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
(female)

charm34 HB User
Chantix and Bloating / Also Short Term Weight Gain!

Hello,

I recently received feedback that Chantix can cause bloating. I have the bloat bad and nothing practically fits that I try on. Its very uncomfortable. Does anyone know how long this lasts? I didn't even know it was a side effect. Its miserable and I feel gross about myself. Anyway to relieve the symptoms or will this last as long as I take the medicine?

Also, I hear regardless you are bound to gain 3-5 pounds if you quit smoking, but its a short term weight gain. Supposedly it won't get worst then that if you are active and eat right. I am very active and eat right and wondered how long this short term weight gain will remain, meaning how long does it take our metabolisms to adjust once we quit so I can get the few pounds off and have a normal metabolism again and be steady?

I am very conscious about my body so bloating and weight gain, especially after working so hard in the gym is discouraging and I am hoping all this doesn't last too long.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
(female)

liz3521 HB User
Wink Re: Chantix and Bloating / Also Short Term Weight Gain!

It isn't fair. We work so hard to quit, why aren't we losing weight instead of gaining? I too am bloated, but it isn't as important to me as quitting. I did reduce my Chantix to one pill a day and it did relieve some of the bloated feelings. I am trying to eat a lot of fruit and veggies and drinking a lot of water to flush that feeling out. Remember that not smoking is the goal. You can do it!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Chantix and Bloating / Also Short Term Weight Gain!

I agree, Liz. A few pounds or a few months of bloat look far better than oxygen masks, a tracheotomy or lung cancer.

Charm, I'll be honest. I haven't heard three to five pounds being the normal average. I heard the average is 16 to 22 pounds is normal to put on once you quit and that it takes about a year for your metabolism to even out.

Try not to lose focus of the goal here: To quit smoking! My doctor told me the average person would need to gain 75 to 100 pounds to do the damage smoking does. I know you work hard in the gym to look good, but smoking and its effects aren't flattering at all.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
(female)

PixieJen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1 View Post
I agree, Liz. A few pounds or a few months of bloat look far better than oxygen masks, a tracheotomy or lung cancer.

Charm, I'll be honest. I haven't heard three to five pounds being the normal average. I heard the average is 16 to 22 pounds is normal to put on once you quit and that it takes about a year for your metabolism to even out.

Try not to lose focus of the goal here: To quit smoking! My doctor told me the average person would need to gain 75 to 100 pounds to do the damage smoking does. I know you work hard in the gym to look good, but smoking and its effects aren't flattering at all.
amen sista! hehe
some people might not even gain too much weight. just try not to substitute smoking with food. And if you must, just have a peice of dark chocolate every now and then. I love my Hershey's.
I only gained 3 pounds when i was on the full dose. I haven't gained anything in a month.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
(female)

kamie65 HB User

I have actually lost weight since starting Chantix, and haven't noticed bloating at all. I just read another post that said that someone lost weight as well. Maybe it affects us all differently.

Has anyone experienced any depression symptoms with Chantix? I have been feeling really down in the dumps lately (I'm finishing up week three) and I'm wondering if it's related...

Old 09-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #6
(female)

teresa1991 HB User
Smile Re: Chantix and Bloating / Also Short Term Weight Gain!

Hi everyone.
Well i have just started my Champix. i am so wanting this to help me quit smoking.
I tryed hypnosis "spelling check" but that did not work for me.
My dad died 3 yrs ago from lung cancer and now my eldest sister who is only 41 has lung cancer , we are all heart broken as i am sure you can imagine.
So i will pray to god this med will help me on my way. as i am very bad with will power. but with this time now upon us in my family. i think for my dad and my sis i have to do it .
Teresa x x

Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
(female)

jomay7 HB User

I too have had bloating. I wasn't quite sure if it was the Chantix but I think you confirmed it for me. Mine is in the upper abdomen with discomfort on the right side.

Have you or anyone reading the posts figured out a way to relieve the bloating? The Chantix has been great for this smoker of 22 years. A lot easier than I ever thought it would or could be. I want to continue taking the Chantix but the bloating is very uncomfortable.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
(female)

charm34 HB User

CHarcoal capsules or Phazyme my doctor told me would help relieve bloating. I tried it, not sure if it helped or not, was on vacaion eating a lot when took it. You can get these at drug store. Let me know how it goes.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
(female)

Little Leaf HB User

I am not taking Chantix but am on the patch. Week 2 without a cigarette. I also have tried to quit many times and always went back to smoking because of weight gain. This time I am doing it while I go to Weight Watchers. So far I have lost weight while quitting. (3 lbs in 2 weeks) I don't think you have to gain. I think while we are trying to quit smoking we substitute with unhealthy things. Like candy etc.. On thing I have found that works for me is suck on a cinnamon stick. Sounds strange I know, but it really helps. Especially while driving in the car. Also drink lots of water. Good Luck to all. My husband is going to try chantix, so I was interested in the side effects of it. Especially the dreams.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

i get bloated as well. and yes it is frustrating, i also found that i am hungrier while taking chantx which i dont like. i had lost 20 lbs a few months ago and right after I started taking chantix now only once a day, i gained 10 lbs. so i reduced the chantix to one pill a day. No smoking is far better than a some weight gain.

Closed Thread