It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
(female)

golfmom01 HB User
Question why it is so important to quit prior to surgery?

....could you please tell me why it is so important to quit prior to surgery? and, is it okay to use the patch with nicotine in it? I have a prescription for Chantix, but I'm very "curious" about the problem with the surgery part of it. Is it the actual nicotine or something else in the cigarettes that causes problems. I've never been told before to quit with surgery...I've had a hysterectomy, total knee replacement and others and have never had anyone tell me to quit. The upcoming surgery is a tummy tuck.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-03-2007 at 07:18 AM.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
Re: why it is so important to quit prior to surgery?

Smoking interferes with wound healing for some reason. Not sure why. But I was 2 weeks smoke free when I had my brain tumor (metastatic lung cnacer) removed surgically and I was out of the hospital in 2 days, pain free and it healed up nicely....not even one of those hospital staph infections.
Mosts "plastic" surgeons wouldn't even operate on a smoker because of the wound healing factor, from what I've heard. So your best bet is to quit at least for the surgery.
Of course smoking also interferes with blood oxygen and can impede breathing
while under general anesthesia too, so that's nothing to fool around with.
I'm smoke-free 9 months on the 7th.
If I can quit, anyone can! I smoked for 28 years. Diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer in Dec. 2006. It's been 10 months of sheer hell....and no cure in sight.
You can do it! I'll be praying for you!
Hellas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Golfmom, in addition to what Hellas mentioned, if you have a smoker's cough, the coughing will be more painful during recovery of stomach surgery. I had a ruptured appendix last year and had emergency surgery (I did quit while in the hospital and have remained quit) and every time I coughed, I thought my incisions were going to open up. It was very very painful!

Good luck with the surgery and the quit!

Old 09-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
(female)

golfmom01 HB User
Question Re: why it is so important to quit prior to surgery?

Thank you so much for the information!!!

Will using the patch with nicotine in it hurt me prior to surgery?

Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
(female)

StaceyDom1 HB User

Quitting nicotine completely is the best choice of all, but using the patch 6 week prior to surgery is much better than smoking. The main reason patients are advised to quit is to lower the risk of respiratory complications. For example, you definitely want your lungs to be able to best do their job of getting rid of the anesthesia in your body. As you know, smoking also creates excess secretions, and those secretions can definitely interfere with the flow of oxygen.

Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmom01 View Post
Thank you so much for the information!!!

Will using the patch with nicotine in it hurt me prior to surgery?

Old 09-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
(female)

vanima84 HB User

my husband had to have emergency surgery and he is a smoker... and here is what happened..

1)wounds don't heal as fast or as well
2) he had a respiratory complication and he was on oxygen for 2 days after surgery...

Closed Thread