It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
(male)

Loring HB User
Chantix and me

hi,
did some poking around here several monthes ago and thought i should post my experience with chantix.
54 year old male, smoked 30 plus years, 1 to 2 packs a day.
really never tried to quite before.
dr. gave me starter pack and 2 month supply of 1mg's.
started starter pak and smoked about 14 days, a little less each day, didn't spend any time thinking about how much i was smoking.
15th day or so didn't smoke.
went about 14 days not smoking and went on vacation for a week.
started smoking right away for 5 days.
(was still taking the pills)
felt frustrated with myself and stopped again.
felt really crappy for about 3 days.
been about 30 days now and haven't smoked.
feeling pretty optimistic.
for the last 30 days or so i have been kinda on and off taking the pills, i forget to take them.
so, i still have about 2 or 3 week supply, still taking them on a semi regular basis, sometimes just halfs.
i will kinda miss them as the dreams are great (only side effect i have noticed).
been pretty crabby with my wife, don't know if its the pills, the lack of nicotine or probably a combination of both.
low motivation and pretty lazy since i started the pills, no big deal.
have always taken the pills with food, no gut aches at all.
i have found that staying away from situations where i would normally smoke has been helpful. for instance, after dinner wife and i always go outside and smoke, now i run in and watch the news. (we only ever smoke in the kitchen and then when its to cold to go outside). for a few weeks i would come home from work and just go lay down and read. deep breathing seems helpful as well, kinda like taking a hit.
Loring

Last edited by Loring; 09-10-2007 at 11:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
(female)

Abbisgood HB User
Re: Chantix and me

Been taking chantix also - smoked two packs a day for many years - I think it works great - strange dreams !!! not smoked in 4 weeks

Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
(female)

danyell HB User

I just started my first dose Today.. I am very excited.. I hate side effects and i am hoping i get none.. I have been on paxil now for 3 months for anxiety and that is what made me try this chantix because my anxiety is now gone.. So i will pray this will work..

Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
(male)

This Time HB User

5 weeks and 1 day for me with zero smokes. Still have urges, but I am convinced that is my brain that needs to accept the fact that I am NOT going to smoke. I'm certain the nicotine is out of my body. I have the dreams too which don't bother me. I can have trouble sleeping IF I don't take the pill with food and water and I take it too late. I have found the best times to take it are with breakfast and early in the evening. Perferable to be like 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. If I take it at 7:30 p.m. with a lousy supper, I tend to have somewhat of a restless night sleeping. Otherwise, it's all good. Just gotta keep on keepin' on.
(I also found Allen Carr's book very helpful, especially with the metal stuff and trying to keep my brain on the right path. Sitting around moping is no way to beat this.)
Also, visit the Lung Cancer portion of this site. Any side effects you expereince with Chantix is mute compared to what those folks have to deal with.
As Allen Carr says, we are not giving up anything, we are getting...health, self-confidence, self-respect, the respect of others, money, etc...

Closed Thread