It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

janetJ HB UserjanetJ HB User
So pitiful it's depressing

Hi, I started Chantix sometime in July. I made my quit attempt after 2-3 wks on the pill. First attempt lasted 3 days. Bought a pack, but smoke so little, it lasts a week. I then quit for a week, smoked for a week, quit for a week and a half, bought some again...
Well, this has been the pattern the entire time. Last week, I gave up attempting and bought a pack after 2 days of not smoking. They ran out yesterday, haven't bought them yet, but wondering if I should give up trying. When do you decide you just can't do it? I feel like such a failure when I read succcess stories on here. It gets me so down; feeling like there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to quit, too.

It's not even cravings that are getting me. I haven't craved since being on Chantix. But I haven't stopped "wanting" to smoke, either. I do want to quit....
I guess I just don't want to give up the "habit" part of it.
I don't even know. They taste horrible, of course, due to the Chantix, and it's not worth it after I have it, but yet I keep going.

So I guess my question is, is it even worth it. Should I give up? Maybe try again in a few years or whenever? When do I decide this is just another failed attempt?

Thanks for any thoughts you'd like to share.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: So pitiful it's depressing

Chantix is not magic and will not make you quit. You have to make the decision to quit. Chantix will make the quit a bit easier than cold turkey, in my opinion. I did not think Chantix would work for me. I smoked 30 years 1-2 packs a day. I am quit 6 months and have no intention of ever smoking again. Chantix put me in what I call a calmer state so I could concentrate on breaking the habit part. Chantix gave me the chance I needed to give nicotine the slip! I feel great and I want you to not give up. You will truly feel so much better! Please don't give up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

Oh yes, that's the rest of my problem - the week and a half I had not smoked, I did not notice/feel anything different. (Except that I was putting on some pounds!)
I hear and have read here people who say they instantly feel better - at least in some aspect. I felt no different, so I wondered what I was quitting for.

I know I have to want this - and I do - so I guess it's a question of if I am wanting it enough, maybe. I never imagined it to be this difficult.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
(female)

Thank you. I've been smoking 17 yrs. I started very young, so I can't really remember myself as a "non-smoker".
To my surprise, driving is the absolute hardest for me. Kind of surprising. I quit my morning cigarette a couple months ago, and have yet to go back to it, even when I have cigarettes. But driving... that's a whole other story!!

I think of continuing on, letting myself smoke 2-3 a day, as I have been, but I am on my last refill of Chantix, and do not believe I will only have that many once I go off of it. I was really hoping to have this beat before the end of my prescription.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, to both of you. Keep up the GREAT work!!!

Closed Thread