It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #1
(male)

hunt1201 HB User
Question Serious Personality Changes!

After nearly 30 years I finally stopped smoking with the help of nicotine patches just over 5 weeks ago.

I used the 20 a day patches for the first 2 weeks and then had reduced to 10 a day on the third week. I came off the patches after that because they made me feel ill.
Some of the effects of the patches I suffered included dizziness, heartburn, some awful headaches and chest muscle tension that caused some clinical anxiety...

My most serious problem is my moods.

I live with my girlfriend, her daughter (7 years old at time of writing) to a previous relationship and our son (14 months old at time of writing).

I am deeply concerned that I cannot control my temper. Little things like untidiness and clutter bother me a great deal now, making me very anxious and in turn angry or aggressive.

I donít feel like myself, I am unable to think clearly, itís as if Iím a puppet being controlled by some evil puppet-master, laughing at my decaying personality. This character that I become is stubborn, aggressive and always in the right.

My family has suffered some serious abuse from me because of this, I have even lifted my hands to my partner (undeservedly) without hitting her and I am now seriously concerned about my behaviour and moods!

Then after a period, perhaps a few days, I come to my senses and realise that Iím in the wrong. I have feelings of deep regret but at the same time feel that I deserve some sort of punishment for my behaviour.

Have there been known effects like this with the withdrawal from chemical (nicotine) addiction or should I be more concerned that I have an underlying problem?

Where can I get help for my problem?

Please, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
(female)

geek_chick HB User
Re: Serious Personality Changes!

I've been using the 21mg patch for almost 5 weeks. One day I tried a 14mg patch and - wow - it was like PMS from hell. I was extremely moody. Another day I forgot my patch, and yelled at my daughter, made her cry. Iíll stick to my 21mg patch for another week, then step down to the 14mg.

Maybe you should talk to your doctor. Wellbutrin (generic Ė bupropion) is another one of the stop smoking meds. It is also an antidepressant. Something along that line might help with your moodiness.

Every one is different, and what works for one person might not work for another. The best thing you can do is discuss it with your doctor. Tell him about your moodiness. Heíll know what might be best for you.

Good luck, and hang in there.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

naturemomma816 HB User

Hunt,

I want to say that it takes a very big person to come forward and ask for help. So, congrats on that, its a very big step.

I read some info on the internet and here is what I found:

Common symptoms from nicotine withdrawl include,

An intense craving for nicotine
Tension
Irritability
Headaches
Difficulty in concentrating
Drowsiness and trouble sleeping
Increased appetite and weight gain.

So, as you can see the tension & irrtability are not in your head.

I had a step-father who stopped smoking when I was younger, I still remember how grouchy he was. He turned into a completely different person. (This was back when there were no aids for smokng cessation.) After a period of time he did decided to go to counseling.

Since stopping smoking I have noticed that like kimmie, I have been a bit moody. Just last night I was very depressed and agitated. I also agree that at times things feel out of control. I think that when I was smoking I was avoiding my life, to some degree. If the kids were stressing me out I would go have a smoke. Now, if the kids are stressing me out, I have to stay and participate in life. Life is stressful.

You sound as though you really love your family and want to make things right. I wish you the best of luck in finding the answers you seek. Just remember that we are here for you if you need a release. Anyway, hopefully I was helpful.
Good luck to you and keep us all updated.
naturemomma

Old 09-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
(male)

hunt1201 HB User
Wink Re: Not a cure but it sure helps!

Thank you all, you have all been very helpful and supportive

I suppose guilt is just another knife in the flood of emotions that I've endured, but I recon that's deserved for my outbursts.

Onwards and upwards. I'm lucky to have my partner and children to support me, this gives me reason to focus.

Many thanks to you all.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
(female)

Key2Life HB User

Although your mood changes may very well be nicotine withdrawal, it may also be clinical depression. I say this because when I quit smoking, my depression went into overdrive. I had to double my dose of antidpressants. Cigarettes have an "anti-depressive" quality to them...they may have kept your depression at bay. Without them, you may need something else...whether you go with meds or herbs or psyco-analysis is up to you.

Your post caught my eye because someone told me I was "like a completely different person" when I quit, and it was NOT a compliment. Once I got on the right dose of meds, I was totally FINE...just like my old self!

Closed Thread