It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
(male)

Ronn9 HB UserRonn9 HB User
Thumbs up Anyone ever heard of COLD TURKEY???

I quit for 8 years then due to some stress and evidently the urge to have a smoke, I started again about 3 yrs ago, I have quit again just over a month ago for the second time in my life.Its all or nothing, thats my motto.
Try it! Instead of any drugs,.. try more veggies and fruits or walking or jogging or swimming or something,.... anything to change your lifestyle so you do not want or need a smoke... Oh well, just some insight from a quitter
GOOD LUCK ... YOU CAN DO IT IF I DID!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Re: Anyone ever heard of COLD TURKEY???

I used the patch. If the stop smoking aids are available and they increase your chance to quit, I say use them!

Congrats on quitting with CT... but everyone is different and should make their own decision on how to quit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
(male)

Very true, It just seems to me that if you are trying to quit smoking, and you use things like the patch/gum you are still giving yourself the nicotine, in smaller doses, So to me it would make it more difficult to quit if I was still getting little doses of nicotine as to none. Does that make any sense at all???..lol....

Old 09-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
(female)

geek_chick HB User

Hey - if that's what works for you, great!!

I'll stick with my patch, thanks.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek_chick View Post
Hey - if that's what works for you, great!!

I'll stick with my patch, thanks.

My wife tryed to use the patch to quit awhile back, she said it made her knees and shoulders,hips, ect... ache real bad so she stopped using them....and they irritated her skin, I do know ppl that have quit with the patch tho, like you said what ever works for you

Old 09-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
(female)

geek_chick HB User

I've had problems with new aches and pains. I have been putting the patch on my upper arms Ė working my way down toward my elbow. After a week, I would put them back at the top near my shoulder and work my way down the next day. Well, I got tired of my hair getting stuck in the patch, so moved it to my side, on my ribs. Boy did my arm/shoulder ache that day! Itís been fine now that Iím back to putting them on my arms.

I had sticky residue from the patches at first. Then I switched to the cheaper store brand ones. They stick better, and donít leave sticky gunk on my arms. I also have less problems with nausea with the store brand patches.

What can I say Ė everyone is different, and what works for me, wonít necessarily work for you. What ever it takes to get you through quitting, is what works for you.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Ron,

Congratulations on your quit! That's coming from one turkey to another.

I agree with what you are saying, but I think maybe the delivery was misunderstood. I try to tell other quitters it is only an aide to make your quit a little easier in the beginning. There is no magic pill that will make you quit. In the end it is all you. You push past the withdrawl. You breathe through a craving. You reward yourself for milestones. You quit. Sooner or later you are doinging it on your own anyway.

Keep up the good work!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
(male)

thanks alot bwitht !!!

Old 09-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Hi all....I am on probably my 6th quit right now. 6 weeks into it and doing great. This time Hubby and my daughter quit with me which really helped. We went to a hypnosis this time. He does one on one. Not seminars with 100 people. It was very expensive but worth it. Hubby and daughter were 2 pack a day people. They haven't wanted one since they left his office. I on the other hand only smoked a half pack a day and somedays didn't smoke at all. I have had a few bad days. I am getting to the cold turkey. I have quit 3 times CT including this time. I say this time because I am using no NRT. All of my quits CT were easier in the end. I tried the patch once and the losenges once and they made it harder for me. I felt a month later like I always (24/7) wanted a smoke. Everyone is different and I really feel that whatever works is the right way for that person. Me personally had an easier time getting the nicotine out of my body and going from there than to still be putting it in and then having to go through withdrawal at a later date. JMO on what worked for me.
ICC

Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 AM   #10
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC View Post
Hi all....I am on probably my 6th quit right now. 6 weeks into it and doing great. This time Hubby and my daughter quit with me which really helped. We went to a hypnosis this time. He does one on one. Not seminars with 100 people. It was very expensive but worth it. Hubby and daughter were 2 pack a day people. They haven't wanted one since they left his office. I on the other hand only smoked a half pack a day and somedays didn't smoke at all. I have had a few bad days. I am getting to the cold turkey. I have quit 3 times CT including this time. I say this time because I am using no NRT. All of my quits CT were easier in the end. I tried the patch once and the losenges once and they made it harder for me. I felt a month later like I always (24/7) wanted a smoke. Everyone is different and I really feel that whatever works is the right way for that person. Me personally had an easier time getting the nicotine out of my body and going from there than to still be putting it in and then having to go through withdrawal at a later date. JMO on what worked for me.
ICC

Good for you ICC!!! keep it up, God Bless and Good Luck!!!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Hi Ron...

Congratulations to you on quitting smoking!! Good for you in finding your way. For me, if not for NRT, I'm sure I would still be smoking right now,...and today is my 4th anniversary since I quit. I quit with patches and later switched to the nic gum. And was on it for quite a while, I might add..but so what...it DID get help get me to finally quit for good.....then I finally weaned from the gum, and did manage to get off of that too..."cold turkey". Not trying to be a smart *****....but just saying....we all need to do whatever we have to in order to quit. I think if it wasn't for all of these new aides on the market, there would be several thousand, if not millions people out there still puffing away. (who knows...but I'm sure there would be a lot more than a few) I see very few people on this board who actually do quit CT, in comparision to those that use smoking aides.

Anyway....congratulations again, and keep it up!

Deda

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

A heartfelt congrats to you Deda I can't wait to get there myself but pretty darn proud of my 15.5 months. I 'm part of the Turkey club myself.

I say a big round of applause for everyone and anyone who quits beacause it's hard as H***!!!! and we made it!!! Let's inspire more to join the club regardless of how they get there.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Here there Liamsmom....

Thank you so much! And congratulations on your 15.5 months,..that is so awesome...I knew you'd been around this board for quite a while too....and glad to see you're still hanging around trying to help others to get to this wonderful [nonsmoking] place that we now know! I wish more people who've had success would come around here more often and give their "testimony"...tell their own story on how they did it....it really helps those that come on this board,... first looking for encourgment, then advice. I know it did for me, as I was on this board every day for almost 2 months before I finally got up the nerve to finally quit myself.

Yes...I agree ...let's inspire all we can to join the quit brigade....I'd love to see all of those dang tobacco companies get put out of business, [due to everyone quitting]. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing!? Well....even if we can only help bring a few to quitting....that's a great thing too!

Thanks for the kudos....
...and have a wonderful day today...
Deda

Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 AM   #14
(female)

Tisha7703 HB User

I have tried cold turkey about 3 or 4 times. Never made it past a week and evey waking moment I had was thinking about smoking or not smoking. I even dreamed about it.

The patch,gum, and the inhaler just turned my 1 pack a day habit into a 2 pack a day habit.

Hypnosis worked great for 6 weeks and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was really expensive and I couldn't afford to go back every 6 weeks.

This is the reason I am going to try this pill chantix. If it dosnt work then I wont give up and will just have to keep trying cold turkey method.

I give alot of credit to those strong enough to make it cold turkey. Be proud cause it really is a big accomplishment.

Tisha

Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 AM   #15
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

congrats on quitting cold turkey. some people are 'all or nothing' kinds of people and i respect them.. i'm not like that though. you could give me a sugar pill and it would probably work. i guess exercise and veggies aren't enough because i just do that anyways. i need to make some sort of big change in my life to do something like quit. i took medication and it worked. i didnt even take it for the prescribed amount of time, so in reality, like someone else said, it's really up to you and your method that works best. but it's you in the end.

Closed Thread