It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 AM   #1
(female)

golfmom01 HB User
Unhappy day 4 still smoking alot

this is my 4th day on Chantix...I'm still smoking alot or even more during certain times of the day. Is this normal? I do feel a little "spacy" some in the afternoons and very tired, but that's all I've noticed. They don't taste any different or has my desire decreased. Am I abnormal???

Old 09-16-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
(female)

velveeta HB User
Re: day 4 still smoking alot

Everyone is different and 4 days may be too early. Just remember you do the quitting and the Chantix will help you maintain a bit better. You will see. Just stay positive if you really want to quit! Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

naturemomma816 HB User

I recentyly quit smoking a few weeks ago, also taking chantix. This is normal. You may be having side effects from the meds or maybe just your brain adjusting to not having nicotine. Even though you are smoking the chantix blocks the brain from receivng the nicotine. So, as far as your brain is concerned you have already stopped. You are smoking more because the brain is saying "I need a cigarette" but you smoke and does nothing so the brain says, "smoke again" and the cycle continues. The good news is that once you start the higher doasage you may not even think of having one. Atleast that was my experience. I notice everyday it gets a little easier. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2007, 02:08 AM   #4
(female)

golfmom01 HB User

thanks for the information! it really makes sense! The only real side effect I have had so far was some night sweats.......dear Lord, I've been there done that and I don't like them!
I'll just hang it there and hopefully the higher dose will make a big difference!

Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM   #5
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Well I started Chantix Sept 10th. The weekend before my quit day on Monday, I am thinking, this is not working. I felt no different, still was smoking. I figured I would just move my quit day by another week. I was almost out of cigs, so I bought two packs just in case. Well, Sunday before my quit day of Monday, in the afternoon, the cigs started to taste like nothing. A couple of hours later, I tried again, and still, yucky. I looked at my pack that I opened sometime on Saturday and there were only a few missing. I had thought I wanted to smoke, but could only take a few puffs and put it out. So I thought, maybe I can quit Monday. Sure enough, I did. My last cig was at 8:30pm Sunday. Two days smoke free!! I was scared to quit, so I still have the remaining pack and lighter in my purse. They are on the bottom of my purse so I can't see them. I threw away the ashtray in my car though. I still get cravings, but I try to distract myself and so far, so good. I am not celebrating yet though because even taking the two blue pills, I am afraid my urge may get stronger. Smoking is not constantly on my mind, but it creeps in and out throughout the day. I hope I make it!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresmokin' View Post
My last cig was at 8:30pm Sunday. Two days smoke free!!
Wonderful news nomoresmokin'!!! Keep it up and let us know how you are doing!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Golfmom, how are you doing? Are you still smoking a lot, decreased, quit, thinking of quitting? I went from 2 1/2 packs a day to between 10 - 20 by the time I put them down. I was pretty discouraged seeing folks online who were smoking two or three cigs a day. Yes, my reduction was huge when you think about what I was smoking, but when you talk to others, I was almost embarrassed that I was still smoking a pack a day at times. When the time comes and you're tired of smoking and taking the med, you will be able to do this.

Naturemomma, congrats to you!!!! Small world, BTW. I'm in JAX, too.
You hit the nail on the head, I do believe, with the brain not getting satisfaction from the smokes while taking Chantix. Please let us know how your quit goes for you

Nomoresmokin', awesome!!!!! You did it! Isn't it amazing how much easier it really is than what you expected? I was convinced this "wouldn't work." I did smoke my last cig, but I kept all my smoking gear out in the garage because I was just positive I'd last half a day, tops. I left my ashtray, my zippo and my leather cig case in "my spot." I quit on a Tuesday morning, and by the weekend, I felt comfortable enough telling DH to go throw the crap away. I just never went out of my mind for a smoke. It's been almost four months now, and I still haven't (and I've been off the med since June)! I can't tell you how many stories there are like this out there. Thousands of people treating this like yet another honest attempt -- only it really works!!!!

WTG, folks

Old 09-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #8
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Thanks SanyBelle and StenoLady. I have been reading here for the past week or so and you all show a lot of support! Today is day 3 of no smoking for me. Yes, I guess I had doubts that this would work for me even though I have heard and read of so many that quit smoking. I am lucky so far as I do not have any side effects.
Golfmom, hang in there. A guy I work with took Chantix last year. It took him 6 weeks of the medicine before he quit the cigs. That will be this Dec., one year since he quit. He said he just wasn't ready until then and kept taking the med and smoking. Everyone is different, so don't give up.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

naturemomma816 HB User

StenoLady, wow I guess it is a small world I am getting through all of this ok. Yesterday I found a pack of cigs in the house, I almost caved and smoked, instead I threw pack in the front yard and locked the door. As you know it has been raining quite a bit in Jax. so I knew that they would be ruined should I crave them again.

I am the type of person that if it is available, I will smoke. Although I did go to a party this past weekend and there was a ton of people smoking. It didn't even bother me. I was really scared that I would start smoking again. I even argued w/ my husband about going, but in the end decided to go for his sake and my kids. I was very surprised that I didn't smoke. It smelled awful too.
The bad times are when I am alone, that's when I really want to smoke. Instead of smoking I clean the house. I don't think my house has been spotless since I gave birth. Home improvements are next. lol. So I guess quitting has more benefits than I thought.

Anyway, good luck to everyone, chat soon.
naturemomma

Old 09-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #10
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

Good for you naturemomma for throwing the cigs away!

Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresmokin' View Post
Thanks SanyBelle and StenoLady. I have been reading here for the past week or so and you all show a lot of support! Today is day 3 of no smoking for me. Yes, I guess I had doubts that this would work for me even though I have heard and read of so many that quit smoking. I am lucky so far as I do not have any side effects.
Rock 'n Roll! You're almost over the first huge hump in being quit! Whooo-hooooo!!!!!

I'm happy to hear you haven't had trouble with side effects. Overall, I was pretty lucky, too.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naturemomma, yes, I hear you on the rain! I was just finishing typing a post out to you and, bam, lost power

I'm up by San Marco, so I try and head out early before a kayak is needed in the afternoons. I guess we need the rain, right? We'll all have healthy lawns come winter

Same here on the availability of smokes. I think that's one of the reasons it took me a while to actually put them down when I first started the med. I kept waiting for something to kick in, but as long as they were there and available for smoking, I would happily smoke them. I didn't know that the med -- at least for me -- does its magic when the smokes suddenly aren't available.

Good for you on facing a challenge so soon. I was like a deer in headlights for about the first month, lol, just taking things very slow. The hubby & I ended up at Sherwood's, one of J-Ville's few smoking bars left, about six weeks into our quit. That was about our biggest test so far. It smelled AWFUL! You're so right!!! The smell of my hair is what woke me up the next morning. It was indescribable. I seriously can't believe I smelled like that all the time.

Have fun with those home improvements!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:58 AM   #13
(female)

golfmom01 HB User

okay today is 8 days and I'm still smoking, BUT I'm actually smoking less !! They have started to taste different and at times I only can smoke 1/2 of one. It's slow, but it is an improvement!! Surgery is the 12th October and he wanted me off of them for 2 weeks prior....getting close. I pray I will continue to smoke less!! Thanks everyone for having faith in me. I love this message board !!!
And Thanks, nomoresmokin, for telling me about the guy that took 6 weeks to quit..it gives me hope!!

Old 09-30-2007, 03:43 AM   #14
(female)

golfmom01 HB User

ok Friends, This is it tomorrow is THE DAY!! Yesterday I made it through with 4 cigs all day, but I've already had that many this morning after making the decision to make tomorrow my quit day!! This has gone on long enough dragging it out! (no pun intended) I'll be looking for you support and help!!!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #15
(female)

nomoresmokin' HB User

You go golfmom!! 4 cigs is great.
I am at 2 weeks and no smokin'!! The day before I quit, I smoked a lot also knowing I was going to try to quit the next day. By late afternoon, I put the cig out after a couple of puffs because it started to taste bad and I guess I didn't really want it. I didn't think I could quit the next day, but I gave it a try and sure enough, I quit. I felt I could go either way. You just have to lay them down. I have done really good. I only think about a cig now and then but I get over it in a matter of seconds usually. I think if I were to smoke a cig, I would be right back at smoking full time again, so I will not smoke any because I really want to quit. My side effects are minimal except for heartburn. It was awful, but my doc said I could take my Prilosec like I usually do. No more heartburn. Sometimes a little gas and sometimes I feel like a rock is in my stomach, but all passes away eventually. I have more energy now and get more things done since I am not outside smoking a lot!!
One day at work, I looked up at the clock and it was 3pm. I said to myself, it's time for a cigarette and then I thought Oh, I don't smoke anymore and went about my business and forgot about it.
Good luck and congrats to all who have smoked.

Closed Thread