It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
(male)

Deviant HB User
Need some advice on quitting.

I am planning on quitting smoking for health reasons.

I will be going onto the patch, however i don't feel its the nicotine i crave but rather the entire smoking experience. Let me explain...

I like feeling the smoke go down my throat, fullfill my lungs, and see it come out into the air. It's more the feeling of the smoke going inside my lungs, and the taste of the smoke, and being able to play with the smoke and seeing it come out that i'm addicted to.

So what can i do to replace this?

I have tried the nicorette inhaler and hated it. It burnt my throat each time i used it.. made it really dry and sore.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Need some advice on quitting.

Welcome

Quote:
I like feeling the smoke go down my throat, fullfill my lungs, and see it come out into the air. It's more the feeling of the smoke going inside my lungs, and the taste of the smoke, and being able to play with the smoke and seeing it come out that i'm addicted to.

So what can i do to replace this?
Well, that's the $64,000 question, isn't it? If you can figure something out to replace that, market it.

All kidding aside, I think we all loved smoking for exactly the description you give.

You're going to have to figure something else out that gives you that satisfaction, i.e., exercise, message boards, a puzzle, a video game, some sort of hobby or activity that you can quickly do that will take the place of actually smoking. You need to be able to enjoy it, look forward to it and identify with it. And try not to think in terms of weeks, months or years. Get through today, this afternoon, this hour, and have your tools (what I mentioned above) already laid out, a plan of action so to speak.

I wish you the best of luck! These boards are a wealth of information. Quitting smoking is the best thing you're ever going to do for yourself. I smoked for 20+ years. The last eight or ten, I was up to 2 1/2 packs per day. Like you, I enjoyed the act of smoking. Loved it, really. This-coming Saturday, I'll be celebrating my four-month anniversary being quit. If I can do it, I know you can. Just stay focused and try and remember this is an addiction that millions of people have quit.

Welcome again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

naturemomma816 HB User

Thank you for your post - I am feeling exactly what you describe. Like you, I also luvvvvved smoking. I have to agree w/ Steno, if you find the answer, market it. In the mean time you have to find another lover. Find something that maybe you were unable to accomplish before - because of your smoking.

I have been cleaning like a mad woman and home improvements are next on my list. I also started jogging lately, this has been very rewarding. When I was smoking all the time I would see people jogging and think, "I would love to do that." So, I started doing that. Previously, I would try to go jogging with my husband and nearly callapse, (I'm sure smoking while jogging wasn't the best idea) my husband would laugh at me and say how rediculous I was. I didn't know just how much until I stopped smoking. Well, now I can run for 3/4 of a mile, and everytime I feel so proud of myself. I am actually the person I wanted to be, someone who cares about their body. When you find something that makes you feel proud and accomplished I think it will help a lot.

I still have pretty bad cravings and I have also slipped twice, but movin' on is the name of the game.

And like StenoLady also always says, reward yourself. I have started saving all the money I would have spent on smokes and I am now up to $115.00, which adds up to $230.00 a month, which adds up to almost $2,800.00 a year! At the end of my year mark I'm planning on a trip to Costa Rica. Which only adds to my drive to stop smoking. I also calculated that in the last 23 years I have spent $64,400.00 on cigarettes. That is (explative) CRAZY! It makes me very mad. That is also drive for me.

Cigarette company's depend on us - fight the power!!! LOL.

Well, let us know how you are doing and any solutions you come up, they may also serve as inspiration for someone else struggling.
naturemomma

Old 09-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
(male)

Deviant HB User

thanks for the replies!

the closest thing that i can think of next to smoking would be eating something really nice or having sex. I don't want to put on weight though so perhaps i'll stick with the other option lol :P

i just bought this device which will help with the fidgeting.. its some kind of gyro thingy that golfers use to develop the muscles in their wrists, forearms and biceps.

Saving the money i would normally spend on cigarettes sounds like a really good idea! but at the moment that money is going on nicotine patches...

thanks again for the help.

Closed Thread