It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
(female)

dee314 HB User
Prescription cost?

Hello all,
Im new here (actually been "lurking" for a while)
I just got a prescription for Chantix and was curious about where you may have found it least expensive? I have called a few pharmacies and they range anywhere from $95-$145.
Has anyone found an online site that they can pass along?

Thanks so much

Old 09-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Prescription cost?

Just wanted to say hi, Dee, and welcome

I don't have info on online pharmacies. Time is money for me, so I just picked the cheapest of my local pharmacies that I could get in and out of quickly. Wal-Mart was actually the cheapest here locally, but Wal-Mart is a half-day affair.

Do you belong to a wholesale club like Costco, Sam's or BJ's? I know my mom got hers at Costco and paid about $105 per month for it. I got mine at Walgreens and it was $116 and $124, I think, depending on starter pack vs. refill.

What are you spending per month on cigarettes, smoking-related illness and other smoking-related expenses out of pocket? That was a very helpful check and balance for me to help me when dishing out the $$$ for Chantix. Between my hubby & myself, we spent over $500 per month on our addiction. We saw a savings our first month, even smoking the first week or two on the med. There's a lot more you spend on smoking than just buying cartons or packs.

Good luck to you in finding a pharmacy that works for you. You're taking the hardest step right now. Once you have your prescription in hand, your quit falls into place very nicely. It is wonderful on the other side, and Chantix makes quitting almost easy.

Please let us know how your quit goes!

Best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

jenn_516 HB User

Not sure who has heard of the discount store called Fred's but I called around to CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, a few independently owned pharmacies, and Fred's was able to give me the cheapest quote. It was $113. The other places I called quoted anywhere from $118-$136. I was EXTREMELY lucky, even the Pharmacist agreed.....my insurance company paid for it. All I paid was a $45 copay! Yeah, Lucky Me!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
(male)

Xenyth HB User

I just thought ide throw this in for a giggle on script costs comparrison with the UK & US

I went to my Dr and asked for the anti smoking drug Chantix, to be fair he hadnt heard of it so looked it up in some book Drs use.

He wasnt too keen to prescribe it to me on a NHS prescription which was in my opinion pretty fair as it wasnt the NHS that made me smoke all those years so I didnt think it was fair the NHS footed the bill for my addiction, so the Dr gave me a private prescription and charged me £15.00 ($30.00) approx for the pleasure

I took the script to the pharmacy and the total cost of a three months supply of Chantix was £278.00 ( $565.00) approx.

The average cost of a packet of 20 ciggs over here in the UK are £5.65
($11.50) approx

20 Ciggs a day X 7 days = £39.55 ($80.30) approx per week

12 weeks X £39.55 = £474.60 ($964.00) approx over 12 weeks

I make that Ive saved myself close to £200.00 ($400.00) approx inside 3 months.

Since taking the Chantix I havent had a cig for 10 weeks ive had the odd craving which didnt last long. Side effects nothing but a small upset tum at the begining of the course which I didnt get if I took the tablets with food.

So all things being equal after 35 yrs of being hooked finally Ive stopped smoking thanks to Chantix I tried every other gimmick on the market but non worked like this.

Chantix very expensive over here in the UK but when you look at the long term after you quit you save yourself thousands and you feel a dam sight healthier

Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenyth View Post
....He wasnt too keen to prescribe it to me on a NHS prescription which was in my opinion pretty fair as it wasnt the NHS that made me smoke all those years so I didnt think it was fair the NHS footed the bill for my addiction, so the Dr gave me a private prescription and charged me £15.00 ($30.00) approx for the pleasure

I took the script to the pharmacy and the total cost of a three months supply of Chantix was £278.00 ( $565.00) approx.
Can you convince the doctor to give you the perscription under the NHS system? I'm not familiar with the UK.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
(male)

Xenyth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Can you convince the doctor to give you the perscription under the NHS system? I'm not familiar with the UK.
Hi There

Yes it can be prescibed with a NHS prescription that would then mean the cost of the drugs are picked up by the NHS with a small cost of just over £6.00 ($12.00) approx to the patient to the pharmacy.

In the UK I firmly believe the money would be best spent elsewhere than free prescriptions for anti smoking tablets. If people can afford to buy cigs then surley they can afford the tablets to help them stop, as I stated in my earlier post no one made us take up smoking and as such we in the UK shouldnt expect the NHS to pay for our quitting the dreaded weed.

I will add that all the other anti smoking devices such as the replacement nicotine patches, nasal sprays, gum, etc are all free in the UK if you take up a smoking cessation course.

Closed Thread