It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
(female)

velveeta HB User
Just some thoughts

It has been just over six months since I smoked my last cigarette. I am in awe over this fact that I am finally quit after years of wanting to quit and many attempts at trying to quit. I feel great physically and emotionally and could kick myself for not quitting sooner. The addiction and habit really had me. Thirty years at a pack or two a day. I barely ever think of having a cigarette with any great desire. I do however find myself observing people that smoke with great curiousity. They know what they are doing to them selves and still use any excuse to smoke that cigarette. I was there and used every excuse there was until I got serious about quitting. The true desire to quit is the strongest tool you have against nicotine. It may take a few attempts in order to be sucessful but all of you have it in you so please do not give up. Cigarettes do not taste good, they do not help you cope with stress, they change nothing other than the quality and length of your life. Cigarettes run every aspect of your lives. Everything you do revolves around that next cigarette. Just think about it. There is life after cigarettes! I promise it does get better and the best part is that I AM in charge. Don't let cigarettes love you to death. Good Luck to all of you!!

Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Re: Just some thoughts

Well said Velveeta I agree 1000%

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
The true desire to quit is the strongest tool you have against nicotine. It may take a few attempts in order to be sucessful but all of you have it in you so please do not give up.

Here, Here, velveeta...another pat on the back to you! Everything you said here is 100% truth....especially "the true desire to quit is the strongest tool you have against nicotine"....that is definitely so true! I think a few people think when they quit, they expect the smoking aid they choose to use to do it's magic, or do the work for them. (A few times I've seen a few people say on here, "I tried the patch/gum [or whatever else] but it didn't work") I know, as I quit numerous times myself, before I finally got it right....using nic gum, [way back when they 1st came out...around 1984]...then using patches, Wellbutrin, etc. Nothing "worked" until I got good and serious about it, in my head first! The quit smoking aids are great, but that's all they are...an aid. You must do all the real work...the mental part of it, and work on changing your lifestyle...habits, etc.

It is so SO wonderful being free [at last] from the chains of that horrible addiction....it no longer controls my life every minute, either, velveeta...I am now enjoying simply living my life without them, and I was NEVER, EVER this happy when I smoked...and that's the truth!

This Monday I will be celebrating my 4th year of quitting, and I plan to go and have some fun that day too...think I'll go buy me a new dress...or something ...maybe a new watch! Aw...it's doesn't matter...I've already given myself the sweetest gift of all! And yeah, my teeth are really this white too! LOL Congratulations on your 6 months of freedom from nicotine, velveeta, and just keep it up! (you sound like ya got it beat for good too!)

Deda

Last edited by Deda; 09-22-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
(female)

velveeta HB User

So great for you at 4 years!! I know you must feel just fabulous! This is the longest I have quit. I did quit once for 3 months on the patch but was not ready. This is my time but I still go day to day. I will not look too far ahead of myself that is for sure. You treat yourself nice on your anniversary!!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:07 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Velveeta...Great thread! Thank you. Everything you saidis true. I am 7 weeks into my quit and jsut starting to realize each time I have a craving how I talk my self out of smoking. It's by telling myself whatever is going on, smoking will not fix/change it. So far that thought process has helped keep me smoke free.

ICC

Deda...Happy 4 years!

Last edited by ICC; 09-24-2007 at 04:07 AM.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Wink Re: Just some thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICC View Post
Deda...Happy 4 years!

Thank you ICC...and I hope you're having a great day today....may each day get better for you! Thank you for your reply yestday...we were out all day, and I have a million things to do...but I will reply [to your reply] a little later tonight...if I get home early enough. Tonight is my weekly dinner night w/ my grief support gals. Keep on hanging in there! Have a blessed day!

Love, Deda

Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

WTG, everyone, on such accomplishments!

Closed Thread