It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
(female)

she_47 HB User
Red face Problems with Chantix

I started Chantix starting the third day when I started taking 2 pills a day the nausea was terrible and I was very tired , I see that has happen to most people. By the 11th day and I was down to 9 cigs a day instead of 1 1/2 pk a day I started getting dizzy. By the next day I got a migraine, never had a migraine before and hardly never had a headache in my life. I cannot go thru another migraine, That was the scariest thing I have ever went thru. I told my doctor he said nothing is tying Chantix to the migraines but I am 54 years old and have never had one in my life and never want to have another. I was amazed that I was down to 9 cigs and really didn't want anymore at that point the craving was not bad as last time I tried to quit with the patch and pills always constantly wanted a cig. I really want to take this, but I really can't and won't handle another migraine. The nausea never went away. Finally after the migraine I just stopped taken it.I haven't seen anyone else post about dizziness or migraines. I by no means want to defer anyone trying to quit read boards some people doing great , I would love to be one, but seems like I was just getting sicker and sicker. Nausea, dizzy, migraine. I would like to know if anyone has experienced what I have, and have any comments. Thanks, Want to Be Quit Smoker :O)

Old 09-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
(female)

sis31159 HB User
Re: Problems with Chantix

I was wondering about the headaches also. I have a headache everyday for most of the day not a bad one just a nagging one. Also do you have trouble sleeping mood swings and night sweats or hot flashes. Ihave not quit smoking as yet I have been on chantix two weeks and only smoke about 5 cigs a day was smoking 2 packs or more per day. I really don't have much as a urgeto smoke more out of habit more so than I really want it. Any suggestions on how to break the habit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
(female)

Paloma0808 HB User
Unhappy Re: Problems with Chantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by she_47 View Post
I started Chantix starting the third day when I started taking 2 pills a day the nausea was terrible and I was very tired , I see that has happen to most people. By the 11th day and I was down to 9 cigs a day instead of 1 1/2 pk a day I started getting dizzy. By the next day I got a migraine, never had a migraine before and hardly never had a headache in my life. I cannot go thru another migraine, That was the scariest thing I have ever went thru. I told my doctor he said nothing is tying Chantix to the migraines but I am 54 years old and have never had one in my life and never want to have another. I was amazed that I was down to 9 cigs and really didn't want anymore at that point the craving was not bad as last time I tried to quit with the patch and pills always constantly wanted a cig. I really want to take this, but I really can't and won't handle another migraine. The nausea never went away. Finally after the migraine I just stopped taken it.I haven't seen anyone else post about dizziness or migraines. I by no means want to defer anyone trying to quit read boards some people doing great , I would love to be one, but seems like I was just getting sicker and sicker. Nausea, dizzy, migraine. I would like to know if anyone has experienced what I have, and have any comments. Thanks, Want to Be Quit Smoker :O)

Old 09-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
(female)

Paloma0808 HB User

Yes, I have had the same problems. This is day #38 of Chantix and day #19 of no cigarettes. Can't take the side-effects any more. Planning on quitting the med. Hopefully, will also be able to stay off the cigarettes.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
(female)

luckylady64 HB User

Hi:
I just started taking Chantix last week and am on day 4. I am having serious upset stomach, gas, and headache. I have tried indigestion medicine but it is not working. I see you decided to stop taking this med.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
(male)

oldfart HB User

I had the upset stomach and headache in the morning only. I found out that if I waited a half hour or so before having my coffee I would not get either one. Have been on it for 28 days now. No cigs.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
(female)

mawarren06 HB User

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone has gained weight while taking chantix? I got mean, angry, depressed and then weight gain. I have decided to quit taking the chantix. If other people can quit without the aid of drugs...so can I!

Old 10-06-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
(female)

pfandme HB User

HI I think I am the lucky one here.
I started to take Chantix around the 24th of august and had my last cig. Sept 3. Started to get some stomach problems so I tried to take only 1 a day. (I must admid I did forgot to take one some days). And it worked. I work at a hospital and one of the nurses stopped 8 years ago with Hypnotisme, and she told me the brain can only hold a tought for 30 sec. I kept that in mind if my craving for a cig. came up. I did had some problems with sleeping and gas wow terrible.
Today is my 5th day without chantix and no cigarettes. The sleep is getting better no more weird dreams just the gas is still here.
So keep it up try one pill a day for a few weeks and try to stop. Keep in mind :"THE MIND CAN ONLY HOLD A TOUGHT FOR 30 seconds".

Old 10-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
(female)

Susan826 HB User

I started taking Chantix 2 months ago and quit taking it two days ago. It did help me quit smoking so far and although I still sometimes have a craving, I just try to tough it out (my husband is also quitting and he is on the nicotine patch). When I first started taking Chantix, I had headaches every day, all day, and lots of gas. Was also very depressed all of the time. The headaches went away but I still have a lot of gas and am still depressed. Hoping those feelings will go away soon.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
(female)

joymimi HB User

I have tried Chantix two different times. I can't manage to get past 3 or 4 days on this medication due to very severe nausea, to the point that I could not function at work. My family doctor even prescribed Phenegran for the nausea - but, that made me really sleepy on top of the nausea. (sigh)

No matter what medication you talk about - every persons body can react differently, depending on what their sensitivities are - sometimes having an unexpected opposite reaction. That is what happened when I took Wellbutrin/Zyban - I became really depressed. Not exactly what you expect from an antidepressant.

So, even though Chantix may not be the answer for everybody - I have heard many success stories from my co-workers and the patients we care for (cardiac step-down unit).

Old 10-08-2007, 05:36 AM   #11
(female)

Susan826 HB User

I agree. I tried Wellbutrin/Zyban and ended up in the hospital with a severe case of hives and swelling. I was so happy when Chantix came out because although I've tried the patch several times, I always went back to smoking. I feel that I probably should be on Chantix for another month but the symptoms were bad - stomach pains and gas, and even after being off of Chantix for four days, my stomach is still a mess. I agree with you that everyone has to find what will help them quit and the biggest thing is that you really need to want to quit before anything will work.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #12
(female)

bunk84 HB User

hi. i am new here..as many others seem to be. I am concerned with the side effects I encountered with Chantix: after the second dose of .5mg i noticed some random red bumps in my hands/arms/face...only to find in the morning that i had hives & swelling all over my body! quickly i made a dr. appt...freaking out about these itching hives...they were even all over my scalp...felt like i had scabies or some sort of bugs crawling under my skin...i apologize for the graphic image. i am wondering if anyone else has had similar side effects? i felt that i noticed myself smoking less even with 2 doses, not sure how much was mental, but I felt really great about myself & really being able to quit! also, if i am unable to return to the chantix, does anyone have other rx that they can recommend??

Closed Thread