It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
Deda - 4 years off of cigarettes, you are my hero!!!! (It's Mon my time)

Deda congrats on your 4 year quit! You are awesome!! Just keep what you are doiing and you will be fine!!!

Relax a little!!!! have fun! Congrats!!!

Last edited by SanyBelle; 09-24-2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Too many typos when it's late!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User
Re: Dede - 4 years off of cigarettes, you are my hero!!!! (It's Mon my time)

Oh...you're so kind, SanyBelle...thank you so much!! Yes...I can [really] hardly believe that it was 4 years ago today that I quit!! It does NOT seem that long. I remember that day vividly. I was sitting here at my computer reading people's posts on this board....and I was supposed to quit that morning when I woke up,..but I didn't. Reading and reading one after the other success stories here, and finally it hit me....JUST DO IT STUPID WOMAN- ->>>DO IT NOW!!!

So I took my very last pack of Misty [Light's], [there was still around 18 of em in there], and I went into my backyard and got the water hose and just doused em all, then threw em in the trash!!!! Then I went and got my huge coffee can [that was in the garage] and doused/filled it up with water, [so that I wouldn't try later to smoke any of the butts, as I had always been known to do that each and every time I quit before that!], and then threw away lighters, matches, cig case, EVERYTHING, and slapped a 21 mg. patch on, they prayed to God, "Please HELP ME...GIVE ME THE STRENGTH TO DO THIS!!!!" Then went from there....and hate to say this, but really the whole time, in the back of my mind, I was thinking...."yaw right....we'll see how long this is going to last, again!" (I had quit at least 10 x before that)

Well, take it from me girl....I was one very hooked, loved to chain smoke addicted woman. I was the type, if I woke in the middle of the night to use the restroom, it wasn't unusual for me to go out in my garage and have one...yes, 3 or 4 in the morning!! !! At work, I would literally sneak outside between my breaks to smoke more....I could NEVER ever get enough of it!! (It was just like alcoholism....one was never enough!!)

I did have a short relapse at my 4 month mark, (that was always my critical zone in my many quits), but this time I soon quit again afterwards, unlike in past quits, when I'd relapse it would take years before I would attempt to quit again.... I had REALLY made my mind up this time..."NOW or never...you're getting too old to continue smoking w/o something serious happing to you pretty soon", I told myself. (I was 48)

I made this STRONG commitment, "THAT NO MATTER WHAT...I WOULD QUIT FOR GOOD THIS TIME, NO MATTER WHAT IT TOOK TO DO IT!!...AND I WOULD USE PRAYER AND PATCHES AS MY TOOLS, AND MIND OVER MATTER!!"

I even told myself that I KNEW it would be tough, would never be easy...for I knew nothing good would ever come easy...that I would indeed go through some real tough times and have to suffer somewhat...but I was really willing to do it!! And I did....

Just want to tell you and everyone else here,....If I could do this....YOU ALL CAN DO THIS AS WELL!! 30 years of chain smoking 1-2 packs a day...loved it to death...was hooked to the max....and really had my doubts that I would make it!! But by the grace of God go I....

I thank the Lord, this board, people who supported me, all of my great non smoking friends,...[even a few who did smoke], and just thank God for giving me that inner strength that I so desparately needed,...and never had enough of before! I knew he did give me strength, as I had never quit and used prayer before this quit, as a tool.

Please, PLEASE.....be tough....don't expect it to be a cake walk at first....it took a while before I started feeling comfortable again,...although I did NOT feel miserable every minute of the day...just a lot of minutes...I felt depressed for a long while....but it DID finally go away...no more cravings, no more thoughts of ever smoking....all I ever think about now is how dumb I was to ever start...(but how much do we know and care at 17??)

Thank you so much for the pat on the back...I appreciate it!

And God bless you and give you strength too, and good luck w/ YOUR quit too. If I can ever help, just let me know. (And this board and the people here are awesome!!)

YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!!!!

Love,
Deda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread