It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Smoking Cessation Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
(male)

son1981 HB User
Question chatnix cause depression for u?

anyone experience depression with chatnix?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:53 AM   #2
(female)

liz3521 HB User
Re: chatnix cause depression for u?

I have good days and bad days and sometimes feel depressed. I don't think its' the Chantix, I think it's part of withdrawal from nicotine. One day I feel blue and the next day I'm laughing and having a ball. There are so many side effects from withdrawal that it would be hard to say what is from the med.
Reading about it is very interesting.
Liz
day 33

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

I'm not sure that depression is exclusive to chantix I quit cold turkey and I suffered depression as well. When you think about it you have made a decision to give up your nearest and dearest friend, with you in times of trouble, there during celebrations, and everything in between. I felt as if I had just broken up with a boyfirend who I knew was no good for me but I had the best time of my life with. It'll pass Just start replacing your old bad habit with new good ones, go for a walk, rent a funny movie, eat a salad, get some frozen yogurt, go out with friends, call friends. It took me about 3 months before I could go out with friends and not be bothered by smoke and be able to have a drink and not want to assault someone on the street for their cigarette. You can do it soon you'll turn around and several months will have passed and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner because it wasn't THAT bad.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

naturemomma816 HB User

I have had severe depession while taking chantix. In the beginning I chalked it up to nicotine withdrawls, then I researched. Nicotine is only in your body for 72 hours. So, my question is, how long has been it been since your last smoke?

I went to a psch dr. today because I was having suicidal thoughts (on and off for the last 3 wks.) I awoke yesterday and I couldn't stop crying. I awoke today, couldn't stop crying. I had the same thing last week and the week prior. It would last a few days. When the feeling of sadness finally passed, each time, I thought that would be the last of it. Then yesterday it returned. A deep sadness. For no known reason. I felt as if I had post-pardum depression. Crying for no reason. Sadness for no reason. Very Scary!! Let me also clarify that I am bipolar. I think this medication may have simply "enhanced" what was already there.

This med has not been tested on people who are prone to depression, or on anyone with any kind of mental illness. They eliminated all those people from the study. It states this on their website. Therefor, there is no accurate data on how this medication will effect some people mentally.

This medication has been a wonder drug for many people, and anything but for others. I would never say "worst drug ever", it just didn't fit me. If you were depressed prior to taking this medication you should contact your DR. and let him/her know what is going on. He/she may give you something to help. I have read that some have started taking anti-depressants while on chantix and they have had positive results. Unfortunatly for me, I'm goin' cold turkey. Since I am bipolar, anti depressants are not for me either.

Anyway, I hope to do well. I quit almost one month ago with llittle cravings, thanks to the chantix, so I am a little nervous about doing this on my own. I guess we'll see how it goes.
Good luck to everyone and I hope I was helpful.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
(male)

tbman HB User

I'm suffering from a little depression, as I have cut down on smoking significantly, but haven't quit yet. My quit date using Chantix is Monday Oct. 1. It's probably just from the lack of nicotine. I'm feeling a little tired the past week and sluggish all around - both classic nicotine withdrawal symptons.

Hypnotism is also another method to quit - I stopped smoking for almost 3 years from one session. I should have gone back and had another session. Its fairly inexpensive and hey, 3 years is 3 years. Because of those 3 years I'm certain I can quit with the Chantix. Its not so much how you quit, just that you want to quit.

Last edited by tbman; 09-27-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:48 AM   #6
(female)

mypugmae HB User

Chanitx made me horribly depressed! Have been dealing with depression for 20 years, I currently take cymbalta. The depression from the chanitx was so different from what I typically experience, no crying and anxiety. Just low low low. I stopped.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
(female)

kydee HB User

Chantix may cause depression in some people I guess I really don't know but I'm more to thinking it's quiting smoking we used smoking to mask so many things and we have to learn to live without them amd it's hard to give up something that was our number for so long.
Nicotene withdrawl can cause depression even though it's out of your system in 72 hrs what about the other 4000 chemcials in a cig???????
My advice would be to talk to your doctor about depression.

Four months, one day, 10 hours, 40 minutes and 40 seconds. 4977 cigarettes not smoked, saving $659.78. Life saved: 2 weeks, 3 days, 6 hours, 45 minutes.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
(female)

PeytonP HB User

My girlfriend was hospitalized with clinical depression when she gave up smoking. She had never suffered depression before. She had very serious depressive symptoms that were related to her withdrawal.

WITHOUT Chantix.

Last edited by PeytonP; 11-20-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
(female)

velveeta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
My girlfriend was hospitalized with clinical depression when she gave up smoking. She had never suffered depression before. She had very serious depressive symptoms that were related to her withdrawal.

WITHOUT Chantix.
Very interesting! Thank you for that.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
(female)

Fibrana HB User

I've been quit over 7 months and have been very depressed since I quit. Nothing seems the same anymore. I believe that quitting really messes up our brain chemistry. From what I've read, it can take a year or more for everything to settle down. Lord, help us!!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #11
(male)

Alaskajoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison1981 View Post
anyone experience depression with chatnix?
Yes I have had depression AND serious anxiety, anger, confusion. Seriously thought I was losing it. 56 years old with no history of mental disorder. Really got me scared. Better since I stopped using Chantix but still occasionally feel confused, angry and irritated. Hopefully symptoms will go away eventually.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #12
(female)

Our Lulu HB User

I've had mild depression for 2 years which is controlled with medication. After 3 weeks on Chantix I became seriously depressed and felt I had nothing to live for. I'm a psychotherapist so I'm very aware of depression. This feeling really scared me! I've stopped taking Chantix and am now OK. Someone mentioned it's possible that people predisposed to depression are affected by Chantix but no study on this element has been done.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:39 AM   #13
(female)

zak7 HB User

Quitting smoking is very difficult. I am going to try tomorrow without any Chantix.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

How goes the no smoking campaign Zak? I did it w/out chantix you can too

Closed Thread